Where Are You From & Where Do You Hunt Predators?

DaveGray

Reaction score
I primarily hunt coyotes and ground squirrels at Vandenberg AFB, CA now. My first weapon of choice is my 22-250 Remington caliber. However, I have killed coyotes with my 300 Win Mag and my TC Omega 50 cal muzzleloader. In fact, the first coyote I killed was with my muzzleloader while deer hunting about seven years ago. I am currently building a very special 223 Remington/5.56X45 NATO semi-auto rifle for killing predators and varmints. Eventually, I will get a 300 Blackout upper too.

I primarily use a FoxPro caller and a have an iHunt by Ruger Bluetooth speaker for backup. So far, the cottontail in distress caller has worked the best.

Here is a picture of a recent morning hunt when I showed my nephews how it's done.
coyote4.jpg

DaveGray

Reaction score
Please delete the duplicate.

Last edited:

TheGDog

Reaction score
Live at the Northern Border of Orange County.

Just barely started to attempt hunts for predators starting this year. Got the idea to try it from this one spot where I was side-hilling inspecting for deer bedding sign in a D11 area that's more Desert Hills. Something told me to look back over my shoulder... just as I did I see a mature Coyote I must have flushed from this area I was going thru just make his way up to the ridgetop I just started-in from.... at which point he stop and paused to turn around and look and see where I was... we stared at each other for a moment, then he continued on over that ridge. A little later I walked back over that ridge from a different direction at the end of a loop I made out of it.... saw nervously him run from one bush clump over to another. Was there looking for my 1st deer at the time so figured I don't dare take a shot at him for fear of spooking any possible deer that might be nearby that I haven't seen.

But I always made mental note of that day with the promise to myself that I'd come back and get one.

I did go back this year... before deer season.. finished a calling session... packed up to move to another location... while going up a draw... Oh Shit! Here he came working his way down the draw... he was beautiful... very grey... was probably gonna try to work his way downwind of where I had been setup. It was a spur of the moment snapshot scenario. First I missed him... he spun around confused like what was that? I quietly chambered another round... he heard when bolt closed... ran to top edge of draw, then paused to look back at me... BOOM! i hit him... his body barrel-rolled mid-air and landed with his arms all T-Rex and him rocking back-and-forth on the ground... then some number of seconds later... son-of-a-gun if he doesn't get back up.... look at me again.... and then run away!!! I blood trailed him like 250yds!! Down into and partially out of a steep Ravine! Never recovered him.

So now... that is my mission... to make good on getting one now.

Used a Remington 783 in .223 Rem. w/ Barnes TSX 62gr.
Next time going to try DRT Terminal Shocks 55gr the compressed copper powder penetrating frangible ones

Now have a .17 HMR and it has impressed me with its accuracy (and penetration surprisingly!) so think I want to try using that also.

But before I do that... I just might take the .30-30 1st, just to compare and contrast with the .223

When I eventually get a shotgun, I'll try using that too.

After I get a couple.. then I may try bow. I'm too new. Need to get the calling technique and stand selection sorted out first. Once I feel like I'm doing that right... I might get one with Bow just to say that I did. Got my first deer with Bow this year so it's in the realm of possible. :)

Went out last weekend into D11 to try to call-in a Bear at spot where got one on TrailCam. eCalling all morning was a nogo (accept for the Hawk which tried to attack the motion decoy). While leaving... chose to use Mouth calls at two spots. At first spot... using primos Raspy Coaxer.. I covered the end so it could do the Rodent squeeks. Was laying into that a few times... then Holy Shit!!! Sounded like something snapped and knocked over a big 'ol tree high up on the opposing canyon wall!!! But after two more blasts of calling.... GRRR!!! a dang Hiker... with a bear Bell.... comes walking down the trail, with earphones on no less! I was soo upset. But hey... public land.. what can ya do.

Favorite Mouth call: Primos Double Cottontail
Favorite eCaller? Definitely not my ICOTec 300.

Last edited:

Top Bottom