Where Are You From & Where Do You Hunt Rabbits

Maritime Storm

I was born in Parry Sound, Ontario, grew up near Moncton, New Brunswick, live in Riverview, NB. Started out hunting with a CIL 28 Ga, graduated to a Marlin 55 GDL, barrel shortned to 24" and just bought and H&R Sporster in 22LR. Hunted north of Moncton my whole life and will until their is no legal land to hunt on.

Skyler

"Where are you from and where do you hunt rabbtis or squirrels?"

I'm from San Bernardino, CA. Born and raised. I hunt jack rabbits in the high desert mainly, and a few cottontails. I like the taste of jacks better. Been wanting to shoot some tree squirrels, but we can't shoot 'em down here.

"Do you use a bow, shotgun or Rifle? What kind?"

I mainly use modified airguns that I build. I also do a bit of shotgunning. I started out with a recurve bow.

"Who taught you to hunt rabbits or squirrels and when was your first rabbit or squirrel hunt?"

I'm a self-taught hunter. I lived with my grandparents when I was a young teenager, and they had a motorhome and liked to travel. I had nothing to do on long trips, so i took up hunting and fishing. My first hunting trip was when I was about 13 years old. I got my first cottontail with a recurve, and had a ground squirrel drag one of my arrows halfway down its hole before shaking it, lol.

"What is your dream rabbit or squirrel hunt?"

An airgun tree squirrel hunt up north in a target-rich environment, he he.

Frank X. Morris

Howdy All,
Another Frank here. I kinda do my hunting a little differant than you guys, but I hope you don't hold it against me :) I course jacks with sighthounds. Salukis to be more specific. Do 90% of my free coursing here in my area of the Mojave desert and do competitive coursing up in the Bakersfield area. My dream hunt is when my dogs come back safe and sound. And if anyone is curious about what a Saluki looks like, you can check out my webpage that is in my sig. Enjoy.

fish4dinner

I'm from tigard oregon and I hunt rabbits in christmas valley oregon. I started hunting cotton tail rabits when I was 8 years old in golden colorado with my dad. he used a pump shotgun and I had a singleshot stevens .22. now days I'm still hunting rabbits without my dad (R.I.P) . I currently use a ruger mrk3 pistol and a winchester wildcat rifle for all small game.

my favorite rabbit dish is quartered and fried like a chicken!

I'll be moving to tucson in september so if anyone out there is from south east Arizona fill me in!

rude robert

im fairly new to hunting and i havent had a chance to hunt rabbit or squirrels yet. ive hit a couple with the truck thought lol. ?? does that count?

Frank X. Morris

im fairly new to hunting and i havent had a chance to hunt rabbit or squirrels yet. ive hit a couple with the truck thought lol. ?? does that count?
Howdy rude robert,
No, geting them with a vehicle doesn't count LOL Even animal rights people get a road kill every once in a while. The difference is we don't stop to put up a little white cross and hold church service.

Southern CA

Where are you from and where do you hunt rabbtis or squirrels?
I am in San Gabriel area of Southern California, I plan on hunting several areas all are new to me. I do not have any favorite spots yet.
Do you use a bow, shotgun or Rifle? What kind?
I will use a 12G shotgun but would like to get me a .22.
Who taught you to hunt rabbits or squirrels and when was your first rabbit or squirrel hunt?
My dad has some experience hunting rabbits with another family member so hopefully I will get lucky this season.:stir pot:
What is your dream rabbit or squirrel hunt?
At this point I really do not have one yet but I hear that Texas would be fun.

Hey Guys --

I'm from southern california and have pretty much only hunted Quail my whole life. I really like rabbits though and I'm looking for places to go. It's not even that I want someone's honey pot ... I'm just in the middle of Long Beach and don't know anywhere "local" that I can go.

I'm trying Frazier Park saturday morning ... just gonna guess around.

If anyone can help me out (which the Fish and Game won't), I'm just looking for places people know of, that are legal to hunt cotton tail.

Message me and I'll give you my personal email / phone number ...

Thanks,
Trent
I live in Diamond Bar and although I have not done any rabbit hunting I have looked at the "Wildlife areas" on the DF&G website and I plan on going there (there are many to choose from). Let me know how Frazier Park went, please. My dad used to go around the Lake Elsenore area and out in the Indio area. I will let you know what I find.

FupeyDupe

My Intro

I live in SoCal. Im 14 and i have beem hunting crows with my dad. I've tryed for some jacks but no luck. I use a 12 gauge for jacks and a 22 for squirels. I have never had a actual squirel or rabbit hunt yet. My dream hunt wouuld to be able to be in a place with all of the small game species and try to get some shots. :skeered: :archer green:

527varmint

live in the OC and I hunt rabbit with my beagle in the san bernadino national forest. Sometimes I hunt jacks in the desert.

I was useing a 12 guage 870 but I sold that I'm about to buy a franchi 48-al 20 guage. In areas with medium brush I might use a cz452 lux 22lr with iron sights. Eventualy want to get a cz 452 american 17hm2 with a scope for the most open areas like jacks in the desert or cottons in meadows. The brush is usualy so thick and the shots sooooo fast I mostly use the shotgun.

A guy from rimfire central took me rabbit hunting the first time I didn't get anything that time but i thought it was a bunch of fun kicking the briars. Before i knew it I had rabbit fever I got a shotgun and a gundog. Now i'm addicted!

Sometimes I go to oregon and hunt in the willamete valley and the rabbits there taste really good because they eat blackberry instead of sage brush. also the desert in oregon around bend has alot of rabbit if you know where to go.

most important thing i have learned is rabbits love the thick brush and if you or your dog are not crashing the briars you don't see very many. You are walking by dozens of rabbits that won't move unless you just about step on them or the dog gets in there.Man up and get in the thick stuff or go home empty handed.

Last edited:

472x1A/B

Well, I'am from Ill. and live near Galesburg. My oldest bro. started me on cottontails. I prefer to use a 20ga or 410ga on the bunnys but always use a .22 for tree rats. We always wait till middle Nov. here so they'll have just a small amount of fat on them. Plus the first freeze kills alot of bugs on them. (fleas an mites)

mauiandcali

rabbit

i use my 10/22
if im stalking some times i use snake shot to the head (under 20 feet)
* looking forward to eating rabbit july 6-10 rabbit/backpacking trip

:patiotic-wavin-flag

dunderee

I live in Southern Cali when I was 8 my dad took me shooting in the middle of the desert and after getting familer with a 22 pistol he wanted to show me the difference between hitting somethin standing still and something moving fast, It took me about 4 years to hit my first Rabbit that was running and I think that one was luck, Jackrabbits are still hard to hit but I get um alot of the time! Ive seen one that looked like it was moving about 50 miles an hour, jumping all the way over sage brush!

sammyguy193

Who wants to go jackrabbit hunting!?

Hey all!

I'm in Claremont and I'm heading up to do some jackrabbit hunting this tuesday next week (22nd) up by juniper flats, san jacinto, or somewhere close like that. It's a short drive for me and I want to test out my new Beretta 12gauge and possibly feed myself at the same time. Anyone wanna Join?

PM Me!

Sam

zweeterpan

I'm from orange county, and this is my first season hunting rabbit!
I actually just came from the San Jacinto Wildlife Area around Perris, CA. Was able to get a rabbit with my H&R Pardner, 20 gauge. Rabbits are FAST around that area.

GDarcey

I'm in the San Fernando Valley. don't have any good local rabbit spots. I have a friend who owns 475 acres by Lake Nacimeinto/Lake San Antonio who lets me go when ever I want on his property.
I do some pig hunting there, with not much success, too but my real love is pursuing rabbits and quail without dogs.

Uncle Bambi

I'm in the San Fernando Valley. don't have any good local rabbit spots. I have a friend who owns 475 acres by Lake Nacimeinto/Lake San Antonio who lets me go when ever I want on his property.
I do some pig hunting there, with not much success, too but my real love is pursuing rabbits and quail without dogs.
When I was growing up in the SFV, I had good success hunting rabbits and quail on both sides of HWY 5 past Castaic, and also up San Fransiquito Cyn. Don't know if those areas are developed/closed now, but you might want to check them out.

I live in Orange County and hunt blacktail jackrabbits in the High Desert area around the Cajon Pass. I figured I'd get into it because I see rabbit scat everywhere I go hunting.

I use a 12 gauge Remington 11-87 /w an improved-cylinder choke and #7.5 shot. Also looking to pick up a rimfire /w irons and maybe a low-powered scope for distance shooting.

The Beast

I live In Lake Forest OC.
I will be using my Rem 12ga 1100.
I have no mentor or anybody who has shown me how to hunt.
Think Im gonna try Juniper Flats and south of that in San Bernardino south of Victorville. Any suggestions??
My dream hunt is non existent as of this moment.......Im as new as they get!!!

Top Bottom