Where Are You From & Where Do You Hunt Turkeys?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
How about some introductions?

Where are you from and where do you hunt turkeys?

Do you use a bow, rifle or shotgun? What kind?

Who taught you how to hunt turkeys and when was your first turkey hunt?

What is your dream turkey hunt?

I'm from Missouri but live in southern California and started chasing turkeys in 1965 with my Dad in Missouri. We called in a turkey on our first trip but we were so amazed at our luck we forgot to shoot the tom. I bowhunt and shotgun hunt them dern birds.

I hunt CA, The Kaibab in AZ, Missouri and southern zone in UT when drawn.

I'm currenty using a PSE Coyote recurve bow and a Rem 870 pump.

My dream turkey hunt would be a Gould's in southern AZ in Apache country.

Possum

Reaction score
I am from the Midlands of SC and hunt turkeys mainly in the Lowcountry about 1 1/2 hours away from Myrtle Beach where I have a family farm. I have been hunting since 1990 when the season opened. Our birds (12) were given to us by a program that trapped them out of the Francis Marion National Forest. I was taught by a friend with about 23+ years of experience. He taught me a lot of tricks and I developed a few of my own after watching a lot. Called my first bird in in 1992 (face to face in a briar thicket) and was too suprised to shoot. I started turning tube calls in 1994 after calling a bird in with one the first day I took it. I have shot a Mossberg 3 1/2 since 1992 with #4's and never had to change. My dream hunt would probably be somewhere chasing a Merriams in the hills out West.

Just a note to the less seasoned hunters. I keep detailed records of every turkey killed. My success rate (birds killed x days hunting) went up dramatically after the 10th year. I know this is different for every hunter, but what I am trying to say is to keep with it and you will become more and more successful as you gain experience. You will begin to recognize scenarios playing out in front of you and be able to respond quicker.

jayber

Reaction score
I'm originally from IL now living in WI. I'm new to this turkey thing, only to have hunted them last fall and this spring, and have only hunted them with my bow here in WI. I may try it next spring in IL on my parent's farm........we'll see! Nobody has showed me how to do it.......I've learned from asking questions here as well as from others, but most of all from spending time in the woods observing them. Needless-to-say, I've got a lot of learning yet to do and my dream hunt at this point is just to bag my first tom. I welcome the challenge.......

Mailman29680

Reaction score
PA born and raised
I started turkey hunting with a man who was confined to a wheelchair.
While deliverying mail I met this man and took him deer huntung.
He returned the favor by taking me spring gobbler hunting and that was eight years ago.
Hooked ever since.
I moved to SC two years ago and after a bad first year find myself in great turkey hunting country.

I hunted PA,MD, and WV up north and now hunt SC and GA.

Wild Turk

Reaction score
Hello All.

I didnt start hunting turkeys until I was in college. I got my first bird in Southern Humboldt county and have been a turkey hunter ever since. I hunt Northern CA and once a year I chase Rios in South Texas. I saw a post above where someone mentioned that their success drastically improved their 10th year. I have only been hunting Turkeys 8 years but my success has improved dramatically the last couple of years. I think I killed 2 birds total the first 3 seasons and have gotten 14 in the last 5 seasons. It is very tough when you start, thats for sure.

I use a Rem 870 now with a Briley .665 tube and probably always will. Cant beat it.

My dream turkey hunt is chasing Rios in South Texas. I hear more gobbles in a week there than the rest of the season in CA.

I learned to Turkey hunt from a college roommate. No one in my family ever hunted, so I probably never would have started if I didnt end up living in a house with 3 duck hunters one semester. I ended up chasing ducks, geese, turkeys, deer and quail within 1 year of moving in.

I am glad that I found JHP while surfing the net a couple of years ago. This is a great place to share info, successes, and failures (I always end up with plenty of the latter)

WILD TURK

RutnNStrutn

Reaction score
Hey gang!!

I'm from Central Florida - in the heart of Osceola Country!!!
All my birds have been Osceolas. But I have hunts for Easterns and Merriams planned for next season.
I have been turkey hunting for about 8 years now. My best bird was taken this year, on a WMA.
He had an 11 inch beard, 1-1/2 inch spurs and weighed 19 pounds. NWTF score of 71, and scored #120 on the Florida turkey registry.

I shoot a Remington 870 Wingmaster, with Remington Super Full choke, and Remington #4 turkey magnums.

Rut

Attachments

Fyrestorm

Reaction score
Hello,
Also from Central Florida Area(Palm Bay, FL) I too have only taken Osceola's. So far my best bird weighed in at 18.5 lbs. had a 10.5" beard and 1 3/8" spurs. I've been turkey hunting now for 8 years and I'm hooked for life. I shoot a Remington 870 Mag with Remington Superfull Choke.

One of my birds taken this last season

18 lbs. 9" beard and 1 3/8 spurs

SnoBall57

Reaction score
Howdy all! I hunt gobblers here in north central PA., and have been doing so since 1969. My dad wasn't much of a turkey hunter, so I learned how to call from one of the neighbors. He took me along with him for a few years, and I never got a shot at a bird. By the time I turned 16, I was a better caller than him and started bagging a bird every year for many years. I shoot a Mossberg 835 with federal copper plated #4's. I haven't killed a gobbler in 5 years because I've bagged so many in my lifetime that I just enjoy filming them and taking rookies out after them. My goal is to kill one more bird with either a 12" beard or better or a bird with long, multiple beards. I'll be done killing gobblers if I can do that! My dream hunt is to call a bird in for my son here in PA. Been trying to call one in for him for 6 years, and just can't seem to get the timing down!

fortyfive70

Reaction score
Hi....I live in south-central alabama and have been turkey hunting for 34 years now. I have killed my share of turkeys and hopefully will kill many more before i meet my maker. i started hunting when i was a thirteen with my next door neighbor and an uncle....they taught me pretty much everything i know....my next door neighbor has moved and the uncle has passed on...but there isn't a springtime that doesn't go by when i think of those first hunts....

my first turkey gun was a 12 gauge model 311 stephens double barrel....come to think of it that was my first deer gun too....uncle phil had a ithaca double he hunted with but that was beyond my means....i remember paying 85 dollars for that gun.....my next gun was an ithaca model 37 30inch full cjoke...still have it, and many a turk and buck have fallen with it.........but a few years back winchester cameout with a model 1300 nwtf 12 gauge in that pickle laminated stock. and i got a browning xtra full choke tube on it...it shoots pretty good and i shoot wicnchester ammo, fedral ammo and remington ammo.....4's 5's 6's

TexasRio

Reaction score
Hey Yall, I was born and raised here in Texas I'm 34 yrs old, been hunting them LoudMouthed Rios for about 6 yrs. I have been hunting since I was about 5....sure waisted alot of time not hunting Turkeys. I have my own land here in Tx, Eastland Co. I shoot a Rem 870 Mag, w/camo job I done my self...with alittle help from this web site. I have plans to start hunting other States REAL soon. I have some friends comming down this spring from Louisiana to chase Rios with me then in 05 I have a couple of friends coming down from Canada to hunt Rios. Hope to get to know all of you and maybe swap a few hunts. Here is one of my Rios from this past spring.

GobbleGig

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I live in Lancaster County in Southeastern PA and have turkey hunted in Northcentral PA ever since I was 14 years old which was 30 years ago. My Dad called in a gobbler my 2nd year of turkey hunting and I was supposed to shoot but was so stunned by the gobbler's strutting display that I forgot to pull the trigger. The next Spring I called in a longbeard by myself and this time I didn't forget to shoot and I didn't miss. I have been addicted ever since.
I started hunting other States in the mid 90's. First in WV. Since then I have hunted TX, FL, AZ, NM, WY and SD. I completed my Grand Slam in 2002. I love hunting those Merriams. I think I already had my dream hunt when I hunted with the White Mountain Apache of AZ. I'll be chasing Merriams again this Spring in the Black Hills of WY and SD in addition to the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation.
I shoot a Mossberg 835. It is topped with a Bushnell Holosight which directs a load of Nitro Hevi-Shot.

alex

Reaction score
I am from Ga and have been thunder thumpin for about four years now. I make have been makin custom calls since the first year I started huntin. In fact I took my second and third birds with one of my calls....actualy I took both of them with the same shot...and have used my boxes and pots on every bird I have taken eversince. I do use Lightning Game Calls' mouth calls though....I did try my hand at that and figured I was better off leaving it up to Benny Briggs to make mouth calls.

Drix

Reaction score
Hey,
I am from northern California and thats where I hunt Turkeys. I usually hunt the first couple of weeks on public land to get birds before the pressure gets under their nerves and they still like to gobble. Then I move to private ranches and harvest only one bird max from each place until I get my three.

I use an advantage camo Berretta 890 with 28" barrel inserted with a super-full choke, loaded with Winchester 5 shot turkey loads.

I began turkey hunting in spring 97'. My first hunt was a solo mission and a tom flew right into my lap at first light and not having my gun drawn he flew off as I adjusted to shoot. I missed, but was hooked for life. I didn't harvest a bird for another 3 seasons. I improved my techniques by reading books, Turkey Call mag, videos and field time (especially scouting).

My dream hunt is close to home and begins by scouting 1 hour before sunset and I prefer to locate a single Tom that is heading for the roost and get him to gobble for me when he's going to bed. Then I locate a spot where I think he will fly to in the morning or where he will be willing to follow my call. Then the next morning it is a game between me and that bird. I have made up for the fly down I missed during my first hunt several times now.
Drix

reddog5

Reaction score
Hello, Im from California and got into turkey huntin by watching OLN.I hunt near Central C.A. and shoot a mossberg 500 (woodland camo and ported barrel that i bought from our local walmart. Great gun.I use a Comp-N-Choke XXXfull with Federal #5s. I've been thru 4 spring and 4 fall seasons .But this last fall all the bird were on the main road in someones front yard! I kinda called in a bird my second time turkey huntin and could have bagged him but was a mix of shock that one came to my calls, and i wanted to do it like they do it on T.V. I let him go .I have never been that lucky since.

My dream turkey hunt would be to SHOOT one!!

fudd

Reaction score
hey every one ive been hutin them birds for 9 years now. I live here in eastern KY. its the only place ive ever hunted. would love to hunt all 5 of theme at least once before ipass on that would be my dream hunt. Im self taught never had the chance to hunt with anyone thats hunted themlonger than me would sure love to. Ive been prety lucky ive killed at least 1 bird a year . My first bird came into my call an hour after day break the first time out knew i was hooked for life then.my best tom was 24.6lbs 2 beards 11.5 and 9.5 and had1.5 inch hooks. ishoot mosburge 835 scoped up with a pro diamond with #5 winchester high velocity.Icant see me packen any other. if yer ever in ky look me up ive got some good hutin on my farm. GOOD LUCK TO YALL!!!!!

graybeard

Reaction score
Hello All. I've only been turkey hunting for 4 years and am brand new to this board.
My brother-in-law and I have been deer hunting together for many years. A few years ago a buddy of his took him turkey hunting and he got the bug. The next year he took me and I got infected. I've only killed one - a jake two years ago. Last year was the first year I hunted by myself and actually called in a few birds, but due to poor setup choices I only got one shot. On that occasion the sun was in my eyes; no, my shoes were untied; oh wait, it was the guns fault, yeah that's it - the guns fault. I missed.

I live in central Arkansas and have always loved deer hunting, but it never grabbed me like turkey hunting. This past deer season I spent more time scouting turkeys than deer. I hunt with an 870 fitted with a Remington turkey choke. I've been using the Winchester XX turkey loads because they patterned better in my shotgun. I tried the Remington HeviShot, but didn't get a consistent pattern.

I'm looking forward to visiting with ya'll (all of you) and hope to learn a lot from your experiences.

raven

Reaction score
I'm from Vermont I hunt Turkeys in the Woods On the side of a moutain near a field that all I am going to say about my" SPOT"

birdhunter88

Reaction score
I live in Iowa and I hunt Eastern Turkeys just about any where in the state. Sometimes in southern Iowa and sometimes in NE Iowa.... lots of birds to go around.

bird

Attachments

bradj

Reaction score
Live and hunt in SW PA.
Shoot a single shot 10 guage and this year will be the first with my hoyt bow.
Taught myself to turkey hunt started when I was 16, have 4 to date and have called in gobblers for others. One year I called in 30 birds but all were jakes and I was trying for a long beard finally I gave in.
My dream hunt would be the grand slam.

Black Labs

Reaction score
I live in Iowa and hunt two season's here....east central and also hunt east central Wisconsin. I try to combine that with the trout opener up there. Hunt public and private and just added another 100 acres of private to hunt in Iowa. I have been hunting turkeys since 1998 and have killed 9 birds...two of them jakes.

This was a 23lbs eastern with 10 1/2 inch beard and 1-1/4 spurs taken in 2000 in Wisconsin

Labs

Attachments

Top Bottom