Where Are You From & Where Do You Hunt Turkeys?

Sleepy

Reaction score
I am from north eastern vermont and got turned onto turkeys last year in college. I went to school in western ny and my buddy from pa took me out a few times on some unsuccessful but eventful turkey hunts. the first few times i hunted by myself i called some turkeys in but never within gun range, however i am eager to get back into the woods this spring to try my luck.

-if you can't fish, hunt.... if you can't hunt, fish.

slickhntr

Reaction score
I'm Ken from LA area. last year was the first time I hunted for turkey. did a lot of scouting and learning and am planning to do well this coming spring.

Rem

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm from porterville Ca I'm new to Turkey i went out last year for the 1st time but had no luck its a little hard where i live most of the land is private but i will try it again this year

billrob

Reaction score
Hi, I live in Redlands, Ca. and this will be my third season.
I have been hunting unsuccessfully in the San Bernardino Mtns but will probably change strategies this year. (very unfriendly rangers)
I'm going south to hunt this year and when I'm done I can eat pie instead of crow.
I will be using my mathews switchback and carying gobbler guillotines and spitfire 125's.
I'm saving my grim reaper 125's for a nice hog but thats another thread.
Good Luck and safe hunting to all this season.

overunder

Reaction score
Live in Northern California and hunt public land only. Started hunting 5 years ago and have gotten 4 birds. Nothing big, only 3 1/2" to 5 1/2" beards. Got one my first fall season and have been hooked since. I was lucky enought to shoot 2 last spring. I shoot a Winchester NWTF special. I will attempt to take one with a bow this year. Good luck to all on the upcoming season
O/U

DotUWeb

Reaction score
I was born and raised in CA. and currently live in Woodland. I've been hunting turkeys for 22 years and I love it! I hunt everything, but if I had to pick one thing it would be the turkey! I hunt public property and try to hunt Idaho every other spring. For me it's all about hearing the gobble and working the bird in for a nice clean kill. Now days you don't want the birds to gobble as it will attract too many people and that's a real shame. Here a few years ago I had a bird shock gobble to a jet going overhead. He was only about 100 yards from me. I quickly set up and let out a few soft yelps. He gobbled and started coming . . . when he was about 50 yards the first hunter called to my right, then one called to my left, then to the south, etc. I soon had 5 hunters that surrounded me and the bird and they were calling loudly. The bird quickly got nervous and snuck the heck out of there. People soon starting walking through my set up calling as they went. I know turkey hunting is the fastest growing sport, but I wish people would take the time to learn something before they head to the woods. There is tons of info out there for someone who wants to learn. Another time I ran into a hunter who was upset. I stopped and talked to him and asked what was wrong. He said that he had 5 turkeys come in and that he shot 3 times at them and they all ran away. Now this was in the spring. I asked him how many had beards. . . . . he didn't know. I asked if he aimed at the head . . . . . no he shot at the bodies. This guy was clueless and probably crippled a couple of birds that may or may not have been gobblers. Oh yeah he was also using #2 lead because they were big birds.

Good luck to everybody this spring . . . . . be safe and hunt smart! If someone is working a bird leave them and find another one.

mattbc

Reaction score
Hello-
My name is Matt, I live in Mammoth Lakes half the year and in Dana Point the other half. I have always been a waterfowl hunter but wanted a new challenge so I thought I would try turkey hunting. I am totally hooked!! I shoot a 870 for everything, one of the most reliable shotguns in my opinion. Hope to have a safe and enjoyable season with 1,000 of my new friends in the CNF.jk

georgiebob

Reaction score
I am from S. W. Arkansas. I have been turkey hunting for about 17 years and have averaged a bird a year. My biggest was the first one, the season had just opened for the first time in the county where I live. He weighed 23 lbs., had a 11.75 inch beard and 1.25 in. spurs. I either use a Rem. 870 3in. 12 ga. with a Jellyhead choke and 3in. 4x5x7 Nitro Hevishot shotshells or a Moss.935 3.5 in. 12 ga, with a Rhino choke and 3.5 in 4x5x7 Nitro Hevishot shotshells. Either will put over 250 pellets in a 10 in. circle at 40 yards.

Billybarou

Reaction score
Howdy,
I'm from Southern California, been huntin for 15 years or more but got into turkey huntin about 5 years ago. I hunted turkeys in Paso Robles one year and San Bernadino mountains for 2 years and San Diego 2 years. Had a close call in SD but I got stung by a bunch of army ants when calling in a bird. Still tryin' and won't pay to hunt so I'm a public land hunter. My son goes with me when he can and we have a great time, it's not what you kill, it's the time spent afield. I shoot a Remington 11-87 super mag. with a turkey choke, Mossberg 500 12 ga. Savage 30-06 for deer and pigs, S/W 357 mag pistol for pigs, Browning compound bow, I hunt deer in Central, Southern Ca.,Southern Utah. My son shoots a mossberg 500 12 ga., mossberg 20 ga., Spartan (Remington) 20 ga, o/u its a turkish gun imported under Remingtons name and I love to to shoot it, excellent bird gun. I'll get myself one this year before bird season starts. He shoots a Hoyt compound bow. My son hunts with me in Ca. when I go to Santa Catalina Island and Southern Utah for deer bowhunts. I took him on a turkey hunt 2 years ago and that tuned out to be a 10 mile walk with no trace of turkeys, spotted some really nice montain quail! I'll take him this season a couple times and hope we can see something to give him some encouragement....
Good Huntin' Good Times,
WILL

Bullfrog 31581

Reaction score
Born and raised in North-Central Florida. I've never known any other sort of hunting other than Florida hunting, other than some trips to South Carolina I take a couple times a year. I turkey hunt exculsively here in central Florida, although I would expand my hunting area if the state raised the bag limit beyond two birds per season. The birds here are Osceolas.

I've seriously turkey hunted for two years now. So far I've killed one nice gobbler a year. Before I started seriously turkey hunting, turkeys were just something interesting to watch in the woods while deer hunting. But the high rate of developement in this part of the state has made affordable deer leases scarce. I originally took up turkey hunting because good turkey-producing property was the only hunting land i had access too. Now I'm hooked on turkey hunting.

cornfedd

Reaction score
im from lodi ca. do most of my hunting uo towards Jackson. pull out the old 870 and drop the hammer on em

uplandjake76

Reaction score
I live in Bakersfield,Ca . 4yrs USMC CPL. Hunted upland game , big game all my life. This will be the first year I will try Turkey Hunting. I heard lake Isabella.. D9/D8 areas are not bad?? Any informaion regarding spacific zones would be tremendously appreciated. Thanks.

uplandjake76

Reaction score
Hello hunters, I am from Bakersfield,Ca. I hunt public BLM in the northeast part above glennville,Ca. And also Onyx,CA in the southfork area. I have a Benelli M2 field 12 Ga automatic. Use federal 5 shot with benelli turkey choke I picked up @ Bass pro shops. I use a martin box call, knight and hale glass slate, and a diaprham cutter. Lost of public land in theses areas, you just have to do your homework and find it. Local game warden or biologist will be more than helpful.

crapsVC

Reaction score
Hola Gents,

I live out in El Centro also known as Hell Centro in the summer. This is my first year to try turkey. Just getting back into huntig after a 10 year lapse (new wife called me a killer) This year my 11 year old ask to go dove hunting and we had a blast. Shooting a Moss 835 thumbhole turkey gun, son shooting a superbantam 500 20 gauge.
I also work in San diego so drop a line we can have a beer and a cigar( my other pastime)

crapsVC/Victor

MMoore83

Reaction score
I hunt Turkeys in CA - Used to on Private land in Placerville but the guys new girl friend is against it now. I'm looking around for a new spot HELP!

Use a Remington 870

Dream Hunt would be a Texas Turkey - Havalina combo hunt or a Florida Osiolated Turkey hunt

Hitechhunter

Reaction score
I hunt in Calaveras County on private ground. I used to get a ten inch beard every time I went out, and have guided (for free) other hunters into their first birds, but the last few years have been a little slow. Hope it bounces back this year.

adolf209

Reaction score
I'm from Lodi, CA & I hunt turkeys up around Jackson & New Hogan Lake. Weapon of choice is my Jennings Stike compound bow. Next would be my Horton Yukon crossbow. And last resort I use the ol Mossberg 500. I hunt Jackson on Private land with no shotgun allowed, so I use the bows(more fun anyway)

sportyg

Reaction score
I'm down in Hemet , I'm a long timer on the board here but this is my first year hunting turkey here in cal or hunting turkey anywhere in many years..
I'll be using my PSE Baby-G on public land. Also want to use my 835 ultra mag if I can find a place to hunt them with a firearm this season. I'm using a box call, glass and slate calls all made by Prairie Calls an owl call made by Larry as well. I have been doing a lot of reading about turkeys and working out with my call a great deal Also purchased a couple of hen decoys. I should be good to go just need to find the time and the birds.. I know where a few are I can bow hunt if no one has gotten to them yet.

ak_o_sniper

Reaction score
I'm from Yuba City and hunt public land in California. I hunt Daugherty Hill WA and Spenceville WA. This if my first year spring turkey hunting and didn't get a bird this year but helped my dad get his first spring bird.

OneBubba

Reaction score
Hey All

I was raised in E. Texas where there were NO turkeys, well, except for some of the guys roaming through the woods! LOL!
In 2002, I found myself living in an area that has "lotsa" turkeys. It was the spring of '03 when I finally decided to HUNT turkeys! What a surprise!
The very first time out, I carried nothing but a small, handmade box call that squeaked rather than yelped! When I finally heard a gobble and set up on top of a pond dam, the old, "...yelp three times and put the call down..." syndrome kicked in. I decided to, even sounding bad, hit the call. It squeaked mousily three times, evoked a gobble from a nearby thicket and I nearly dropped my gun when not one, but TWO big toms emerged from the thicket and approached my set up! Both birds walked around the end of the pond dam and I squeezed a round through the .22 Hornet. The lead bird jumped, dirt spurted up behind him, indicating a miss and he ran off! I quickly reloaded as the other bird just stood there. The second bird jumped at the second shot, dirt flying behind him! Another miss! Drat it all! Well, they can't get away without me seeing them and I reload with the hopes of maybe connecting with a running shot! I can't hit one standing still, I want to try a running shot?
I stood poised with the little rifle resting on a tree limb when to my left, a dying turkey flops to the bed of the dry pond. WOW! My first turkey! What happened to the other bird!?
I hobbled my crippled butt to my 4-wheeler and drove over to the end of the dam, noticing a dark spot in a clump of weeds. I drove up to the dark spot first. HOO-YAH!!! Another bird!!!
The birds weighed 17 and 22 pounds, both Rios, only one had spurs!
All my other hunts, (I've only killed maybe 15 birds!) have been just as rewarding, but I don't think any hunt will be more exciting!!

OneBubba

Top Bottom