Where Are You From & Where Do You Hunt Turkeys?

Rick308

Reaction score
Hello

I'm Rick from Kansas, Just got into bow hunting about four months ago. I hunt whitetail deer here in Kansas with my CZ benchrest rifle. I just started hunting last year didn't get a buck only a doe so decided to increase the odds and get a bow.

Well that's me ...

Califtrkyhntr

Reaction score
Hi guys I am from Ducor CA near Porterville and hunt turkey's on a ranch my family owns near Glennville . Can't wait for spring! little less than 2 months to go!

Metdawg44

Reaction score
Hey all,

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and have been a hunter for 30 years. I shot my first turkey in Alabama about 25 years ago. My second turkey, shot in Northern California, (Rio) didn't come for another 10 years. I have beeen really hooked on turkey hunting for the past 10 years. I shoot a Browning B-80 (similar to a Beretta 303) that I camo'd myself.

I hunt both public and private land, although as you can image getting a bird on public land here in California is a major achievement.

GatorBait

Reaction score
Howdy:

I originated from Central Florida and now live in the San Diego Area. Started hunting at the age of 7; primarily deer, dove, quail, and hogs. I have been hunting turkey's since 1985.

I hunt with Bows, Rifles, and Shotguns.

trapperbr549

Reaction score
I live in Missouri and this is the only state I have hunted turkeys. I think it is still the number one state though we have had several bad hatches in a row. I guess I have been hunting them about 30 years and now have 2 hunting partners, my 10 and 12 year old boys. The only gun I have used is my old Ithaca Model 37. I have all kinds of calls but my favorites are custom made glass and slate calls from Poor Valley and Vector calls. Both are great and reasonably priced. Check the Missouriwhitetails website if you want to order one as both guys are frequently there.

hank4elk

Reaction score
SLO Co. central coast CA. Turkey heaven. At least the last 20 years. I have friends that go to NM every year and usually get skunked. But they won't go for elk.Can't figure some folk's. I have to pick the best one for the oven myself....

timsbluehouse

Reaction score
Well let me say first its a pleasure to post with all of you. And I can't wait to get to meet some of you and continue to chat.

As for me I'm from SE Missouri. I hunted with my father for years. Never had any game except rabbit and squirrel. Enjoyed every minute I was out with him regardless of the outcome. I joined the Navy and moved to California. After almost 10 years I'm getting back into my roots. So I'm hoping to capture those first kills and share it with my own son. I've been doing research upon research and watching shows trying to get involved and educated as much as possible. I have some experience but nothing to really say I'm good. *No Trophies* Fishing done and well enjoy it but I want more out of life than what I got.

I currently have a wingmaster 12g and a Browning bow as well as a Win 30-30 model 94.

I know some say inexperienced but I know my way around the woods. Just don't have the kills to justify it.

My dream hunt is finally getting a kill... Well I'm hoping that I can get in with the crowd and become great friends.

Tim

sertshark

Reaction score
From Central California and I hunt public land. I've only been turkey hunting a couple years. I've yet to shoot one that wasn't drawn on paper, of which I have blasted many.

timsbluehouse

Reaction score
From Central California and I hunt public land. I've only been turkey hunting a couple years. I've yet to shoot one that wasn't drawn on paper, of which I have blasted many.
Where abouts hve you been looking? I'm trying to cover some land in the valley but I don't want to cross anything that has been looked at already.

sertshark

Reaction score
Where abouts hve you been looking? I'm trying to cover some land in the valley but I don't want to cross anything that has been looked at already.
I've covered most of the public areas around New Hogan, Melones, Don Pedro, and McClure and areas a short drive from each. I've either scouted or hunted much of the BLM, Corps of Engineers and Bureau of Reclamation lands in those areas. Unless you know someone with private property, that's pretty much what we are limited to an the eastern side of the valley. To hunt these areas, you really have to know how to pinpoint your location becuase one wrong step and you can be hunting in a no-no area. Shoot something in the wrong spot, and you may kiss hunting goodbye for a couple of years after all the fees and penalties are assessed. Much to my wife's distaste, I have my face stuck in maps all year long in search of lesser travelled public land. I check BLM, Nat Forest, and cross reference with Google Earth, and then take a drive out to see it with coordinates punched in my GPS (it's kind of a hobby I now have). I have come to the conclusion that there really isn't such a thing as lesser travelled areas 'round here. I've found once you get out there, you find shotgun shells and soda cans. Unfortunately, this area is not really known for turkey hunting for a reason: there aren't a lot of turkeys compared to other areas. Not in public areas. But I still try. I am thinking of making the drive out to either Mendocino or Lake or even Sonoma counties one of these years because there are tons of turkeys there, and it's no secret. I have even heard El Dorado National Forest is outstanding (especially where you find openings near oaks). It's just a matter of finding the time to get away.

Although I don't have many years experience in turkey hunting, I have quite a bit of experience finding public land in the area. If I can help, I'd be glad to. Feel free to PM me if you are curious about any particular spot. Good luck to ya'.

ArticleTheFourth

Reaction score
I'm from Yuba City and hunt public land in California. I hunt Daugherty Hill WA and Spenceville WA. This if my first year spring turkey hunting and didn't get a bird this year but helped my dad get his first spring bird.
ak_o_sniper:

Do you hunt turkeys in the northern part of Speceville WA or the southern part near the reservoir? Haven't had much luck yet :(, but I'm taking my son out there in a couple of weeks for his first hunt :smiley_yahoo: and could use some help - from anyone that knows the Spenceville WA. :confused-yellow:

rlewish

Reaction score
I'm from San Diego, California, I'm 13, and my name is Ryan.

I hunt turkeys up near Palomar mountain

Do you use a bow, rifle or shotgun? What kind?
I use a Beretta 391 Urika Gold Teknys Shotgun.

Who taught you how to hunt turkeys and when was your first turkey hunt? My first hunt will be tomorrow and my dad, uncle, and grandpa all have given me advice.

What is your dream turkey hunt? Indiana, Pennsylvania

knowledge

Reaction score
ak_o_sniper:

Do you hunt turkeys in the northern part of Speceville WA or the southern part near the reservoir? Haven't had much luck yet :(, but I'm taking my son out there in a couple of weeks for his first hunt :smiley_yahoo: and could use some help - from anyone that knows the Spenceville WA. :confused-yellow:
I can tell you from 1st hand experience, that on Beale AFB there are TONS of birds. The closer you can get to the edge of the WA to Beale the better. That side is right near the Beale housing area. No hunting on Beale near that edge. The birds get pushed into the housing side, but the people and dogs, cars push them back towards the fenceline.

STR8SHTR

Reaction score
I live in Granville County, NC and I hunt here as well.

I currently use an old Benelli SBE for turkey hunting however, next year I will be traveling the woods with my bow.

SPURGEAR

Reaction score
Hello from San Diego CA. I hunt with a Remington 870, turkey full choke, pistol grip stock, with home made camo job, or my bowtech tomcat 70lb draw, tru-glo 5 pin, ripcord rest, and 2" rage heads. NO LUCK!! I'm so bad with mouth (diaphram) calls that coyotes usually come runnin cause they think something is dying!! My calling needs much improvement for sure and I'm sure it's a major factor in not killing any birds yet. I see them, can find them, but cant turn them towards me. Gonna invest in some new calls for the comming season, and will take it as it comes......any tips, or advise, or even if you wanna tell me about hour best hunting spots so I can go hunt them :) I'm all ears!!

Attachments

Last edited:

timsbluehouse

Reaction score
Serts,

I just got back from deployment yesterday. I have been to the Three rivers area last year. Chased some jakes around all season. I'm thinking about trying it again this year. Then maybe later this season head over to Ft. Hunter Liggett. I have a crazy schedule this year due to being on sea duty. But I'm trying to make the best of what time I have. Getting with BLM and just going and doing the hiking is the way I found the spot. Well I wish you luck this season and am looking forward to hearing the stories.

Tim

Reaction score
I love big game hunting, but turkey hunting is my passion. I have been hunting since I was 15 for turkeys, so 15 years in for me. I hunt here in CA on some private land about 3 miles from Cache Creek WA. I have land the runs along the river there 3 places right next to each other absolutely loaded with birds. I also hunt in TN every year at my parents place. The last 10 years that I have been going to TN I have killed 35 Longbeards and 2 Jakes. Their place is unreal, with hundreds of turkeys on the 30 acres they own. Its the highlight of my year. Here in CA I started chasing turkeys back in 2004 at Spenceville WA and Cache Creek. I killed 3 longbeards at Spenceville and 1 Longbeard and 1 Jake at Cache Creek before getting the private land to hunt in 2008. Tough hunting public land here, birds are very weary and lots of hunters, but they can be killed in you get on em' and know how to talk real sweet. I love turkey hunting more than any other hunting out there!

Damon Owen

Reaction score
I live in north county San Diego. I hunt public land w/ a bow/shotgun/rifle or a big rock. I've spent alot of time around Julian, Laguna, Palomar, and south of the 8.

I've spent alot of time scouting turkey on public lands in SD county this year. Last fall(opening day) I had some yahoos shoot birds off of my decoys while set up for archery. Not my favorite public spot any more. This spring I am going to strech my legs a bit in an attempt to get away from the crowds. With so much water this spring I figure the birds will be pretty well spread out. As of yet I haven't heard too many hens calling, but the jakes are full of vinegar. We had 5 jakes come into a quick call on a dead run last weekend, so I'm pretty sure they are ready. With luck there will be a break in the rain for Sat.

Anybody a member of the Vista Irrigation District Hunting Club? I've yet to meet somebody who is.

Damon

RodeoFlyer

Reaction score
San Fernando Valley, CA

Going for my first turkey hunt this spring at FHL.

Just bought a new 870 Express.

mr sunset

Reaction score
..I'm the 100th post on this thread:mooning:
Also from the san fernando valley
this will be my second year hunting turkeys
I have a secret spot up in san luis obisbo.
Public land
last trip was good. this trip will be great.
good luck to all this spring on baggin a bird.

Top Bottom