Where can I try good boots? And get boots resoled?

Stevehazard

Reaction score
1. Is there a store in or around the LA area that sells and has higher quality boots to try on. I'm considering something that has stitched on soles like the better danners or something similar. Or even somewhere else I'll make my way out at some point. Not looking for an REI recommendation please, I know what they have in store.

2. A recommendation for a cobbler near the SFV area to resole the Vasque I'm using now. The last person I used was in Burbank but their turn around was a week, which is longer then I'd like to be without these boots, and wasn't overly happy with the work they did before.

3. Lastly what are people using to care and re-waterproof their boots? I've been using the Nikwax that REI sells and I think it's crap. It has an annoying and stupid applicator tip and is pretty worthless after a day or two out. I saw that Bruce recommended Obenauf's in another thread and will probably give that a try but was wondering what others use as well. Also what do you use on your clothes? I have a Columbia "waterproof" jacket that I use for snowboarding and bad weather hikes/hunts and it is anything but at this point.

Frank X. Morris

Reaction score
Howdy Stevehazard,
I wear Schnees & Kenetrek, but I don't know of any stores around so cal. Orvis might have some boots and I think they still have a store in Pasadena. Don't know of any cobblers. My guy left his place years ago. As far as leather dressing, I use Pecard on my boots.

Farallon

Reaction score
For leather boots, I used to use sno-seal.

For goretex jackets, I use, Revivex. First, wash in sport wash, rinse twice, then spray with revivex, dry in dryer.

MariotheBarber

Reaction score
Maybe try and find a Boot Barn? I never been there but I've heard they have big selection. Guys I know try em on instore that order online since they are full MSRP

quaildeath

Reaction score
Great boot place. Got my Danners there.
Middle of the road to ultra high end in most sizes.
BTW, a backpacking REI type light comfy boot is much different than hunting boots.

ChrisAMX

Reaction score
I use sno-seal on leather and Nikwax "spray" on gortex. Btw, I have a pair of Obox mid-leather hiking boots from REI that I've used since 2012. Good here in mountains for snow, mud or rain. I recently picked up a pair of Merrell Polarand 8's, but haven't been able to put them through a good workout yet. You might check Red Wing out too.

My next pair of boots will probably be Kenetrek or Schnee's, but I would really like to try on before spending that kind of money.

Stevehazard

Reaction score
Orvis in Pasadena looks to be a decent suggestion.
Boot Barn. I was in there to get my daughter her cowgirl boots and I remember NOT being impressed by their hiking or hunting boots they offered. More work boots and CB.
BPS. Had a good offering of boots the first time I went there and they had some of the specific models I was interested in and made a mental note of them for the future. Then I was there later and their inventory offering was changed and of course all the models I had been considering were no longer stocked. So BPS... maybe? Haven't been there recently.

The boots I currently have are the older Vasque Watsha (think that is what they were called) that they no longer make, and the St Elias. Both were good boots for me and I scored the St Elias at an REI GS almost new for 35 so they have done exceeding well for what I got them for. But it's time for something better now. The older ones have a failure that is shoe goo'd together meaning I'll never take those long distances and the St Elias need new soles so I need to find a place to do it.

quaildeath

Reaction score
I've owned 3-4 pairs of Vasques. They are not the company they once were.

TheGDog

Reaction score
The Salomon 4D Quest GTX's I've got have done me well. And taken me amazing places. Just gotta watch out and take it careful on ice or slippery rocks though.

Or hardpack sandstone downhills. On those ya gotta open your stance while descending sometimes so the soles bite into the edges of the trail where there starts to be vegetation or thicker, less hardpacked soil.

Stevehazard

Reaction score
Salomon hiking boots... my snowboard boots are Salomon and must have over 70 days on them by now, so I've been happy with their other boot products.

My big grip with many of the newer style of boots is I just don't see the soles lasting long enough for the price and many of them look to be bad candidates for resoles. The 200 dollar range is a lot of money for something that may only last a year or two in that regard.

The St Elias Vasque I have are done after this weekend. The slightly less comfortable resulted in slight blistering over long distances, where as the model they had before that they discontinued never had that problem. Or maybe it's just a result of my out of shape arse putting more weight on my poor feet. :( Not worth trying to resole though now IMO.

As far as trying to get to a place to try on some of the higher end boots. I'm just not finding a place. I guess they expect you to order them from the factory and be happy with them or go though the agonizing return/exchange process online.... which I think is asinine for something like boots that need to be so specific for people sometimes.

Top Bottom