Where da' birds?

birddogman

Reaction score
I went out to Salton Sea this weekend to look for Karstic and New Guys spot, and got skunked. I ended up at Niland and saw a few birds, but didn't even get a shot off! Everything was posted out there!
Last weekend I went up to the invasion of Aghganistan at Red Mountain and had some hunters flush a covey in front of me and that was it for the day. I don't know who's more frustrated, me my dog, or my 12 year old boy. I also hit a guzzler up by Cleghorn Canyon, by Silverwood last weekend and didn't see or hear anything. How do you guys get to that Miller/Bear Canyon spot? Is it the Canyon on the right just before you get into the park? Help. Anybody got a spot and need help with a dog, I'm desperate.

foulshot

Reaction score
birddogman, at the fields in Niland did you go out to the fields that were planted for 1st dove opener.  These fields were supposed to be used for hunters.  Desert Wildlife Unlimited planted the fields with the consent of the DFG.  At dove opener there were signs posted, but just to show that the fields were courtesy of DWU.  My group saw lots of quail in the shrubs of the field edges.  Did they all leave?  If so that's a shame.

Hook

Reaction score
It seems to me that I have been seeing less and less quail in areas that used to hold hundreds. I believe the lack of meaningful rain has a lot to do with it.
I haven't hunted the Imperial valley in several years, but up here i have definately noticed the lack of birds. Lets hope for a wet winter and spring.

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
birddogman,

The road passes the spillway and continues east, parallel with the mountains and suddenly turns left and heads north, away form the mountains. First you see a powerline road (right side) and then a
road with a gate at the opening (right side). That's the one. I usualy park further down the road and hunt for valley quail up to that dirt road. follow the dirt road to the stream and follow the stream up the mountain. For M-quail, bring an "8 in one" call or a good variable whistle call. See ya Saturday. I drive a White 4x4 Jimmy.

Click on or cut and paste this link and you can get a nice arial view.

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/ima...mp;Z=11&W=2

sp

QALHNTR

Reaction score
Heck, I go up to Portland for a week of working and come back to see my license plate gone!  Give it back birddogman!
Wingman, that's a nice link with the arial view.  I'll be at the races at California Speedway for the weekend.  I'm going to try to get in at least one day before I leave for the Wisconsin opener.  Good luck everyone.

birdogman

Reaction score
Hey QALHNTR,
Sorry man, don't take it personally though, I'm a little new to the forum. I like my new logo better anyway. Later...birdogman

QALHNTR

Reaction score
Welcome Jim - no problem.  It's just fun to post.  Boy I can hear those CART cars now.  I'm off to the races!

tinner

Reaction score
is any one hunting sat the 10th. birddogman i'll be in the santa clarita area alone. i am always looking for a new friend to hunt with. i was bailed out on by two this weekend. their loss though. i'll be south on aliso cyn off the 14 in a white dodge 4dr sedan w/a jack-in-the-box antenna ball. give me a message if you want to hook up tomorrow.

charles

Latest Posts

Top Bottom