• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Where do I take my dad fishing in Mexico for his 60th birthday?

JayReed

My dad turns 60 this August and my brother and I would like to take him on a fishing trip somewhere in Mexico as a gift. We are probably looking at a 5 day/4 night deal. We want to get into some great fishing, have a good time relaxing together, avoid the tourist zones, and keep the cost more or less reasonable. I've looked online and find numerous package deals, but very little feedback regarding people's experiences. Any guidance or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

1Irishguy

What part of Mexico are you looking at?
Cabo has a large number of boats...but it's getting pretty pricey to fish out of there now.
Check out Manzanillo. I have friends who just got back from there and the rate for a 42' with crew was $300/day.

One Track

It's hard to be East Cape. You will catch a buttload of fish in Aug. I'd stay at Palmas de Cortez if it's just you guys. If you are taking the women, stay at Rancho Leonero. I'd avoid Cabo at all cost, unless you like long boat rides.

SDHNTR

Gotta agree. Palmas de Cortez or Rancho Leonero. Both are nice enough for everyone. I took my gal to Palmas a few years back and we loved it. Stuff to do and see for non fishermen too.

Look to La Paz and/or Loreto for panga style fishing. Smaller boats, more live bait fishing, less trolling, more intimate feel, less costly, but less cushy. I know Loreto well. Feel free to email me with any questions.

From a fishing perspective, you will probably catch more billfish in the East Cape regions, if that is what you want, and possibly more tuna there and in La Paz. In August, dorado should abound all throughout the lower Sea of Cortez. Any location should be good. Loreto will have plenty of dorado, with the chance possibility of a straggler yellowtail. Tuna are a possibility there too. The advantage with Loreto and La Paz over the East Cape is you will have the backup inshore reef fishing for cabrilla and pargo.

It will be HOT! Make sure where ever you go has good AC.

Just a tip... Take your own cooler down with you. You will want it to bring frozen fish back anyway. Use it to go to the store and buy your own beer. The resorts will charge you American prices at $2+ each. If you go to the store, you can buy a box, save your empties, bring them back for exchange and end up buying a box of 20 beers for about $12. If your crew rolls like mine, this alone will save you hundreds.

All this is if you plan on flying. If you are real adventurous and are driving, there are lots of great out of the way places that will give you a totally different feel. No resorts and you'll have to camp and/or stay in small motels. Hit up the small fishing villages for a real Baja experience. This is how I like to do it personally. Again, email me for more info if this is your plan.

JayReed

I appreciate all of the suggestions. I was leaning towards somewhere other than Cabo, so your tips are right on point. We're the type who love to catch fish, but also like to avoid the crowd a little. Billfish would be fun, but I think my group would have more fun catching a great variety of fish than just going for billfish.

One Track

If you are going to fish for three or more days, mix it up. Start off fishing for tuna and dodos. If you guys whack 'em the first day and fill up the coolers, then go catch some marlin for fun the next day. You might even fish inshore one day, for some snapper, amberjack and may some rooster.

Top Bottom