where do u get your electronic componets

wfontjr

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 11, 2001
Messages
189
Reaction score
0
where is the best place to get your electrical componets?, i get most of mine from a local radio shack but they very seldom have all of the parts im looking for, is there a supplier near orange texas which is better, even if its by mail

i have bought a bit from all electronics but as a novice im not always sure whats a drop in replacement, is there a catalog/book which list for instance transistors, uses, replacements in kind, etc
 

Archilochus

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 27, 2001
Messages
1,285
Reaction score
0
Hi wfontjr,
Mouser Electronics is in Tx (Mansfield) -
http://www.mouser.com
I think (?) they might even sell a disk with cross-reference info.

The web is full of info - tutorials, component uses, etc.  Try searching http:/www.google.com using their "advanced search" feature.

Using "Google groups" you can ask all sorts of questions at: sci.eletronics.basics

I'd recommend staying on the "basics" "misc" or "components" forums - sci.electronics.design can get pretty nasty!

Might also try:
http://www.digikey.com

Archilochus
 

shrtcirkt

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 22, 2001
Messages
328
Reaction score
0
Like Archilochus said Mouser is a great source. I purchase about 85% of my electronics from them and the other 15% from Newark. Occasionally I will go to RS only if I need something NOW. For cases I like the Pelican 1150 and found that AIRGAS Safety carries a good selection at a better price then Cases4less, and their shipping charges are lower.
Good Luck!
 

Jaggermax

Inactive
Joined
Apr 6, 2001
Messages
505
Reaction score
0
Wfontjr, here is a list of my favorite electronic suppliers.  I am always trying to find the cheapest components available which is usually a surplus dealer like MPJA or Allcorp.  They may not have all the things you want, but if they do have it, they are generally at least half the price of retail dealers.  Here you go

For general surplus parts and great deals on new and used components use.  

http://www.mpja.com  
http://www.allcorp.com  
http://www.alltronics.com:  

For new electronics parts

http://www.digikey.com  (they have everything under the sun and deal with smaller quantities just for the hobbiest)
http://www.mouser.com
http://www.arrow.com  
http://www.newark.com
http://www.futureelectronics.com
http://www.Jameco.com

Hope this helps.  Also, give them all a call or visit their websites to get their latest catalogs which are usually free.  The surplus dealers like MPJA dont list everything on their website.  The catalog has much more parts in it like the RE200B PIR sensor which is not for sale on the website.  

(Edited by Jaggermax at 7:38 pm on Jan. 6, 2002)
 

wfontjr

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 11, 2001
Messages
189
Reaction score
0
i started this hobby a little more than a year ago, i am a process engineer so i have a some basic  knowledge of electrical, mouser was a great suggestion, however i still run into the same problem, i did a search for 555 timers and 4 came up, no description of what one does vs the other. i know at radio shack there is a low power version and the regular 555, im sure some of this will be learned from experince, however there must be some reference book out there which gives better descriptions, thanks for the new supply sources
 

Jaggermax

Inactive
Joined
Apr 6, 2001
Messages
505
Reaction score
0
Digikey has a great part number lookup system which allows you to sort parts based on package size, power consumption etc.. and pull up the datasheets.  For example, when you enter "555 timer" in the search box, it will pull up catagories for the search.  You will see three selections.  If you click the timer/counter link, you will get a query box.  Set the package you want and the vender (if you prefer one) and the selection will come up of the parts that match you criteria.  

If you click on each part that the search returns, you will see a datasheet link in the Technical/Catalog Information box.  Use these to compare different timers once you find a part number from digikey.  This is how I compare the specs for all of my components I buy because I have yet to find a book which guilds you to semiconductor selections.  


(Edited by Jaggermax at 7:03 pm on Jan. 7, 2002)
 

Latest Posts

Top Bottom