Where do you get your turkey's

Private or public?

• Total voters

faith

Reaction score
I think in California a very large percent of the turkey's harvested are from private property and hunt clubs and leases! Very few are successful on public land because of the lack of birds and this has nothing to do with not enough habitat on public land.

ducslayer

Reaction score
My findings are that public land has alot of turkeys but it also has a tremendous amount of hunters,so in a short wile the turks move onto private land due to all the preasure..............Jim

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Used to be 95% public. A few from private land from on our old farm near Silex MO. The new farm has 2 roosts and a lot of birds that work in and out from nearby CRP and cropland. I stilll hit NF in CA and MO. Mid week in out of the way spots. Last 3 birds were private.

Sumpnneedskillin

Reaction score
I agree with ducslayer. There are a lot of turkeys in CNF. However after the first weekend of the full court press they move to private land where there is little to no pressure.

Marty

Reaction score
Does Ralph's and Albertson's count as private land?

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
I hunt public and some private timberland which is open to the public. I have only killed one bird on true "private" ground.

JNDEER

Reaction score
99% public.....i can and have hunted private but have not taken a bird off of it..

all of my birds my brother and i have taken are all public land.

Hideandwatch

Reaction score
100% private ground. I hunt neighbors land on three sides of me. There' plenty of birds on public ground, but also a lot of pressure.

sportyg

Reaction score
First year hunting turkey so it's public land. Do not know anyone with private land..

faith

Reaction score
Looks like its about 50/50 people, I hope this means we have a equal chance of getting a bird on public as we do on private

D13Hunter

Reaction score
100% public and ill tell you what it wasnt easy but weve got 3 down..got to the hardest thing to do so far for me especially because people cant tell the diff. between the sound of a hen and a tom. I must have called in about 10 hunters to date this season and the count is still growing.LOL

faith

Reaction score
Hey D13
What do these hunters say? Or worse have you had any close calls, saftey wise?

BrandonA

Reaction score
I generally hunt Private so that's what I voted as.

However this year I've been hunting PUBLIC LAND and I've pulled 2x 10-10.5" bearders off of it. It takes more work but it's possible. I've actually found that the people in my area (northern california by Sacramento) only seem to overhunt one specific area, while there are other Wildlife Areas around that are FULL of birds. That being said I passed on a few jakes today and couldn't seal the deal on my final bird of the season so I might just go back tommorrow but I was within 100 yards of 3 flocks of birds today but the hens just lead them away before I could get them in the final 10 yards

Califtrkyhntr

Reaction score
I am very blessed to actually own some private land to hunt on in the central valley but am looking to chase some birds on public land in Santa Barbara where I go to school.
Yours in Christ,
Casey <><

biseger

Reaction score
I hunt both public and private. Last year my birds were public years previous all private. Sure seems like the private land holds a lot more birds due to people feeding them and thinking turkeys are thier pets. Most of the public spots I know are bordering private "feeding areas". yard birds are tasty.

Lumpy

Reaction score
Mainly public for me!!
On public land you just gotta change up your tactics a little and have more patience!!
God Bless

scoutdeer

Reaction score
All public for me. I hunt in the mountains above Fresno. Very tough going, killed one tom in the last 9 years, and it was a big thrill.

pennywise67

Reaction score
Public in the Los Padres, but I also go private too.

-Larry

Top Bottom