Where have all the hogs gone?

Sniper82

Reaction score
I have seen three hogs over the past year in C3. Has anyone else had any hog sightings over the past year?

ltdann

Reaction score
Not many, the drought is taking its toll.

The cattle have been eating what food that's left

Last edited:

myfriendis410

Reaction score
Numbers are down. Piglet survival is marginal for the last three years. Too many sows (with piglets) being killed. Lots of hunter pressure making 'em nocturnal. Huge population of predators. Terrible range conditions. All of these factors contribute to low sighting numbers.

jbcaptain11

Reaction score
^^^ i agree with all your saying but on a hot day find em at their water hole

ltdann

Reaction score
The waters gone. There's been less half inch of rain since February.

jbcaptain11

Reaction score
o wow i know there haas been a drought but damn... my cousins ranch still has flowing springs in shandon area

myfriendis410

Reaction score
There's water available. No feed and a lot of the normal cover is gone. There's still a lot of hogs but I think the bulk of them are completely nocturnal now.

jbcaptain11

Reaction score
ya on my cousins ranch the hills are a gray color because of "sunburn" they had to sell all their cattle because they would have to bring extra water in and would be very expensive plus no feed for the cattle

Sniper82

Reaction score
I recently went out to C3 after this last bit of rain we had.The rain was just enough to wash
away old tracks.I spent the whole day checking on areas where I shot or ever seen hogs looking for fresh tracks or signs. After this past year of hunting mainly c3 and c1,I am concerned on the pig population.

thewolfman

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much...pigs rebound really quick...they didn't survive this long to go extinct... they just moved elsewhere and u just gotta work harder to get 1

myfriendis410

Reaction score
The first rule of hunting is to hunt where the animals are......

jbcaptain11

Reaction score
i like hunting pigs but they cause a lot of damage and am fine if they aren't there tearing up crops but i still like to hunt them i just consider myself saving the world in my own way haha:hog chewing::archer green:

Bayboy2020

Reaction score
They are around but they go nocturnal in the heat and will stay close to water. I haven't seen them like I normally do but have seen there tracks in and around watering holes

Sniper82

Reaction score
On Saturday 0630, I started my hog hunt in C-3. I went on a hike in a area where I seen groups of hogs in the past. Within 15 minutes of hiking, I discovered an area with a lot of fresh rooting and hog tracks. Also, in many area's the hogs were tearing up the ground under the oak trees in the search for acorns. I searched the area thoroughly but didn't find any hogs. Throughout the day, I checked my favorite spots in C-3 looking for signs with the most recent activity for the evening hunt. I only found one other promising area with some fresh rooting and tracks. I decided to hunt the area I found in the morning due to the most hog sign hoping they would return that evening. I went to the spot at 1500 and sat there till dark. To make a long story short no hogs showed up. The good thing, I know there are still pigs in Vandenberg just a lot harder to find then they use to be. On the trip I saw 10 does, 6 coyotes, and 1 nice buck (3x3).

Last edited:

ltdann

Reaction score
Thanks for that update. How's C-3 looking? Last time I was up, the cows had pretty much eaten everything and it was dry as a bone.

Sniper82

Reaction score
C-3 is still very dry for the time of year. Some green sprouts is starting to show up in areas. I still haven't found any water sources in C-3, except the water troughs. Like myfriendis410 said I think most of the hogs are completely nocturnal now.

ltdann

Reaction score
Yeah, most of the water is gone. Even the places you have to crawl to get too. Looks like I need to start exploring some more. There's a few places in C-3 that i've been wanted to look over.

weekender21

Reaction score
Severe draught can crush a hog population, they'll recover when we get a wet year or two......if we get a wet year or two.

Top Bottom