Where is Taft?

birdogman

Reaction score
I don't want to steal Bloodsports spot, but can someone tell me exactly where Taft is? Much obliged.

Mojave

Reaction score
West of Bakersfield, on 33. Can reach it by driving West off 5, just north of Grapevine, on Hwy 166, then N. on 33.

bloodsports

Reaction score
I have no problem giving up some of my spots!  You may also want to try hunting the mountains behind Maricopa.  Maricopa is the city where Hwy 166 and 33 come together.  I hunt off a rode called Elkhorn Grade.  

Warning though, the area I hunt is rough walking but rewarding.  Good luck

birdogman

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip bloodsports, which road do you take out of Taft? Are the chukar and quail near each other geographically, are these mountain or valley quail? Thanks for the info.

bloodsports

Reaction score
The mountains behind Taft are the same mountains behind Maricopa.  The dirt roads behind Taft are not named so its hard for me to be specific.  However there are several guzlers and springs and they are good places to start.  The quail and chukar can be found together, and I usualy dont shoot quail untill I have ruled out the chance of chukar being around.  
Good Luck  

Bill W

Reaction score
Hey Bloodsports. That area off Elkhorn is one of my favorite spots.  I took a limit of Dove out of there opening day of the second season.  Walked them all up quail hunting style.  Man that is some tough walking on those hills.

I know where there's a spring there, but I didn't know there were guzzlers.  Any hints as to location???

Bill

bloodsports

Reaction score
I know of seven guzzlers,( theres alot more though ) all of them but one are up high.  You need a 4X4 to get to them.  Two of them are up behind the kitty litter plant.  Best way to locate the others is to get up high and glass the area.  The one that is low is near the Ecological Perserve on the way to Soda Lake.  

Top Bottom