Where to go - Barstow area?

Rick

Reaction score
Anyone have a spot to go varmint hunting or target shooting out past Apple Valley-Victorville or Barstow?  We used to go west of Hwy 15, off Hodge Road, but we've been told recently that it is a "shotgun only" zone.   (When I say target shooting, I mean PAPER, and we do clean up after ourselves!)

Thanks for any help!

songdog

Reaction score
That shotgun only area is actually pretty good (Stoddard Valley OHV I think is the official name).  I've shot a few coyotes there on my way to UT.  Go during the week and avoid the holidays and you won't run into too many mortorcycles and atvs.

Just remember to take the dead coyote off of your spare tire carrier before stopping at the factory outlet stores to pick up something for your wife on the way home (boy was that a fiasco...)..

Hook

Reaction score
Songdog, I would loved to have seen a picture of that! (uh uh, my dog sleeps their)  :smile-big-blue:

rlwright

Reaction score
I don't know if it's legal but there are always people target shooting around goat spring near 247.

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Check with the Barstow BLM office. There is definately a shotgun area only and an open area. IIRC the desert around the populated areas are shotgun ONLY while hunting. The other areas are open to target shooting. You might try the Alvord mountain area which is north of the 15 north of Barstow.

Brian S

Reaction score
Rick the only area legal to shoot centerfire that I know of is Hodge road on the north side only. I was told this after being run off by a ranger. The north side or left side if your heading from L.A. is suposed to be private but legal to shoot there. It gets pretty hairy there on the weekends all the people that want to plink legal are a squeezed together in the same area. You can shotgun hunt only in all of the rest of the desert out there. I used to go off Dale Evans pkwy shooting and thats where the Ranger gave me the boot.
Brian

Rick

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone!   I was surprised to be told that the Hodge Road area ("left" side of Hwy 15) was supposedly aclosed to centerfire, as that is where "everyone" shoots.  So I'm glad to hear that a Ranger sent you there to shoot.  We had checked out the Dale Evans Parkway area, but saw the sign saying shotgun only.

Top Bottom