Where to Go to Surf Fish?

Locnload

Reaction score
Hi. I would like to give surf fishing a try with my son, but don't really have a clue on where to go. Any suggestions? I live in the Riverside area. Thanks in advance.

BLASTMASTER

Reaction score
I've only gone once, for a week. But in that week we learned a lot. We went to Emma Wood SB in Ventura, but I'm sure you can fish most of the beaches. You might want to check out pierfishing.com for some ideas. Those guys do a lot of surf fishing as well.

In the surf the boys and I had a blast wading in to our waists, and casting out little trout poles right behind the breakers. We caught surf perch one after the other. We used 6lb line, carolina rigged with 1/4oz slider. The best baits we found were caught right there on the beach, live sandcrabs or the orange part of a muscle (when torn from the shell, resembles a small worm). They have a fast hit and run technique, so keep the slack out of the line and feel for the tug as the bait rolls around the sandy bottom under the waves.

good luck!

upper

Reaction score
Locnload,Gaviota to Refugio.Bloody sand worms(artificial)or sand crabs.Light tackle, slabs to 13 inches.Take the boy now,wish I was there,good luck,fish tacos if ya like........Upper

Locnload

Reaction score
I wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions, they were appreciated. If I ever have any pictures to post, lol, I will post them here. Thanks.

7mm RM

Reaction score
San Diego has some nice surf fishing spots...Torrey Pines and a little north in the Del Mar and Carlsbad area. Gulp worms, kastmasters, and sand crabs will produce perch and croakers....good luck.

Orygun

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
We went to Emma Wood SB i[/b]
Caught some there myself. Surf was really mellow and used a flyrod and streamers.

A one inch curly tailed grub on a hook works well on perch. Run a foot or so of leader to a 3 way swivel. then run a 2 foot leader of the other eye of the swivel and attach to a half ounce or larger silver dollar sinker. You need to run 8 or 10 lb. The guys who fish Monterey Bay beaches use that rig. Occasionally they have a striper suck up the grub.

quaildeath

Reaction score
At the river jettys in upper west newport. I surf fish alot and this is a good spot.

dw33

Reaction score
Is that Upper Newport Bay? I looked on the map and it shows a river near University. Thanks.

7mm RM

Reaction score
dw33,
try the area near the rocks on the sand, throw some anchovies, usually the sculpin hit pretty quick.
Good luck,

Tuna92688

Reaction score
Huntington Beach

Try the area where the Santa Ana River empties into the ocean near Life Guard Station No.13 or anywhere along the open beach south of the Water Treatment plants.
The City of Huntington Beach wants to be known as the Surf Fishing Capital of California go figure.

Later, LakeTuna

TonyS

Reaction score
Just saw this. For pancake halibut try 72nd place in Long Beach. For corbina, croakers, BSP try Huntington cliffs. If you get the corbina bug bad go farther north.

kalguns

Reaction score
Capo <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
</st1:placeType>Beach
</ST1:p for leopard sharks. It is just north of <ST1:place <st1:placeName w:st="on">Doheney</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">State park</st1:placeType></ST1:p. There is a pay lot 1 dollar an hour or you can park out on the street for free. We have pulled in 4-5' leopards over the last 3 years. Lots of croaker, small leopards, grey sharks and bat rays. Mackerel works the best for shark on the shore. Use a 5 oz pyramid with 40 lbs spectra and 1 hook about 2’ above your sinker. Also have a shore post so you cat cast and wait for the fun to come in. We have gotten skunked about 2 out of 50 times we go.<O:p</O:p
<O:p
<st1:City w:st="on">San Clemente</st1:City></ST1:place> Pier for Mackerel. Squid works fine<O:p</O:p
<O:p
Rock fish <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pLaguna Beach</ST1:p. </st1:City>Mussels make sure you get the elastic thread to wrap them to a treble hook.<O:p</O:p

Fatboy18

Reaction score
I am going up towards Pismo this weekend. Anybody know how the surf fishing is around there and what works best.

maxter

Reaction score
Hotel Coronado, the fence at the No Island, Crystal Pier, Capri Hotel, Blacks at dawn, Leopard sharks at Scripps pier. All beaches get hot once in while, but these are consistent. Now I live in Prescott-no beach.

longbow951

Reaction score
San Onofre and even Laguna by the pier there are flats that you can get Halibut from the surf.

boutdoors4

Reaction score
Hi ,
Been trying the surf myself with a flyrod. My son has been doing a killer job on Spot Fin Croaker. Check out this site in the socal salt section he is Bowler read his reports, plus you can find places to go.

Fishing Network Message Boards

Good Luck
Robert

Last edited:

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
I'll take ya

If you drop into So. OC I have a spot near Dana pt. Harbor that's great for big sharks and rays...lots of fun at dusk on the high tide. There's at least one monster that has spooled me twice on 40lb test with 18lbs of drag and no, it wasn't a bat ray. There are big bats there but this is something different. Got 65lb spctra on the surf gear for the next showdown. You bring the frozen squid, I got the rest.

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
Capo <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
</st1:placeType>Beach
for leopard sharks. It is just north of <ST1:place w:st="on" <st1:placeName>Doheney</ST1:place> <st1:placeType w:st="on">State park</st1:placeType>
<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p< font>
<O:p< font O:p<><O:p< font><st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pLaguna st1:City < ST1:p. Beach<><O:p< font O:p<>

Correction: Capo <st1:placeType alt="" 0? w:st=" border="></st1:placeType>Beach for leopard sharks. It is just SOUTH of <ST1:place w:st="on" <st1:placeName>Doheney</ST1:place> <st1:placeType w:st="on">State park</st1:placeType>
</O:p<></ST1:pLaguna></st1:City>
</O:p<>

Top Bottom