Where's Scank?

Jay

Reaction score
Are you out there?

There've been some provocative posts on water and agricultural practices brought on by the Klamath Basin situation.

Waiting for you to weigh in.  

grizz

Reaction score
 Jay,  Saw his name on the active users page yesterday.  He's lurking around, I bet we'll hear something from him soon.

Scank

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm still around old huntin buddies. Yea, I'm really concerned about the water situation at Klamath. Their problam is just a forerunner to the water problems we may face in all of California agriculture.
Water is going to be the topic of the future starting probably next season. Not rot water or the moto decoy. Later.

Scank

Inactive
Reaction score
Bye the way, is the DF&G going to use the latest USF&W mallard figures when they adopt the 2001-02 regulations. It states that the mallard harvest was approximately 2% higher than the previous year.
I wonder if the anit-moto people are going to hide this surprizing data to get the ban enforced.
A 2% increase does not equal a mallard slaughter. later...

Mike Riley

Banned
Reaction score
CA's total duck harvest was down 18% last year, still mallards increased in percentage of bag (25.66 - 31.97) and total harvest (313k - 319k). So as total duck harvest decreased 18%; mallards actually increases by 2%. That's a 20% deviation.  Combine those numbers with the fact that the local mallard population is down by a 1/3 in 2 years and hen harvest is way up.  Yah, Scank I think it is fair to think DFG maybe considering this biological data when considering moto.

Mike Riley

Banned
Reaction score
Hold the presses - Scank and I agree on something.  "Water is going to be the topic of the future starting probably next season."  I don't know if I'd go as early as next year, but Scank is right, water is going to be a huge issue soon.  The amount of water flowing south in this state is scary and what Met Water (Los Angeles) has planned for the Delta and Bay is even more scary.  Follow the money (& votes) and you'll find which way the water is flowing.  

(Edited by Mike Riley at 8:27 pm on July 20, 2001)

Scank

Inactive
Reaction score
It's great when hunters call the taking of game "harvest."  I guess some really believe they are fooling the anti-hunters.
Remeber:   You harvest wheat
                You catch fish
                You gig frogs
                And, you "kill" ducks, bucks, and porkers

BigDog

Reaction score
Sorry Skank, but I have been using the harvest term for all game and fish for almost 40 years. Long before I ever heard of an enviornmentalist or anit-hunter.

Jay

Reaction score
"Water rolls uphill towards money."

Cadillac desert boys. Welcome to a semi-desert with a desert heart.

When you:

...start running rivers backwards (the San Joaquin)
...water salted soils (the westlands water district)
...pump rivers dry (the Owens)
...overuse a river to the point that poisoned water is sent into a foreign country (the Colorado)
... build reservoirs in 120 degree deserts where more water gets evaporated than comes in during a normal year (lakes Powell and Mead. By the way Powell would roll over in his grave if he knew about the boondoggle named after him.)
...take water 300 miles across a major mountain range to water lawns, golf courses and fill swimming pools.

There will be hell to pay!  The water is way over allocated. The Klamath Basin is just the prelude.

If we have another dry winter there will be a water crisis like you wouldn't believe. It will be cities, farmers and environmentalists duking it out against each other.

We actually don't even need a dry winter. California's entire water system is built on "snow pack". The system was built assuming that the vast majority of water falling on the Sierras would remain locked in the snow pack and be released slowly through spring and early summer. Crank up the global temperature a couple degrees and shazaam! you get rain instead of snow. If the Sierra snow pack falls in the form of rain instead of snow we will have catastrophic floods through out the valley in winter and bone drying drought through the summer.

Lake Sacramento will be back and all the dams won't be able to do a damn thing. (sorry for the pun there)

We have to completely re-think our approach to water including how we store it and how we use it.

jerry d

Reaction score
Uncertain water supply and we continue building, and building, and building.

With concerns for water supplies during future drought years, and to protect it's present consumers, EBMUD refuses to supply water to a new development out of it's jurisdiction. No problem, the developer simply finds a court that orders EBMUD to deliver water to the development.

We can't get enough from the river systems so we go after the subterranean aquifers to the extent that we now need to consider replenishing them with filtered sewer water.

Not long ago my neighbor drained and refilled his pool due to repair work - 9 thousand gallons.

What was it Pogo said about finding our enemy.....

By the way, now that we know Skank's ok -  where's LetUmWork. Not the same around here without his words of wisdom to keep us on the straight and narrow.

With moto in the forefront, he's missing his calling.

mudroller

Reaction score
They keep building ,building, building becuase we keep breeding,breeding breeding. Talk your kids into not having kids and help 3 people move BACK to where they came from.

Scank

Inactive
Reaction score
Deviation of a mallard harvest of a plus 20%. Who developed this statistical theory of deviation. The CWA or the UC biologists. IT IS A 2% increase in the mallard kill period. No such thing as a deviation in stats.
If the the spoonie take was a plus 15% then the kill would be deviated up to 33% right. Lets make a two spoonie limit next season.
Still don't understand the mallard hen slaughter when the limit was two per day. Does anyone??

Fubar

Reaction score
Scank   A two Spoonie limit would be OK with me lol.  Fubar

(Edited by Fubar at 10:59 am on July 21, 2001)

Advertisement

Top Bottom