wheres the best place to mount cams to get pics of bucks

the kid

Reaction score
 hey, i was wondering if any body could tell me where to set up a cam to get buck pics

thanks the kid.

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
What kind of property are you hunting or setting your cams up in? Is it hardwoods,crop feilds,pine etc... Bucks have core areas that they spend most of there time in. Look for a place with a good food source,water, plenty of cover and undisturbed. Look for funnel areas that have a common meeting place. Now this isn't always the case but its a good place to start.LOL

the kid

Reaction score
  my hunting prp has clover and bean feilds with a river about 300 yards away and thikets

tomtruck

Reaction score
if you can, do some scouting in the fields to see where the deer are coming out of the field to get to the beans and put one on that trail

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Right next to Davered1's cam is the best place.....

Also you'll get good bear pix's too!

he he

Tinhorn

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
Like Tomtruck said do some scouting near your bean fields and clover fields. Stay back and glass the fields and watch where they are entering the fields. There should be some trails leading from the thickets (bedding areas) to the food source. This is a good place to set up a cam.Good luck.

the kid

Reaction score
thanks for the help guys im tired of getting coon pics

the kid

shufigo

Reaction score
Kid - Don't know how big your property is, but youmay want to go to Terraserver.com and print out a satellite photo map of it. Then just identifiy the heaviest used feeding spots, mark the thickets and scout the trails inbetween. I've found almost 100% of my mature buck photos are night shots. All kinds of spikes and does morning thru evening. Also, you might just check for track size in the fields and target the spots that are getting the most large prints. It's been so dry here in eastern VA that the ground's been too hard for that most of the time.

coyotebandit

Reaction score
If you stop baiting, you'll get a lot less coon pics. I was getting a lot of coon pics also, after I moved the cam to a trail, I hardly get any now. Scouting is the best way to go, but sometimes trial and error works pretty well also.

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
Kid,

My .o2 worth... I am very selective about where I put my cam's, although I would love to put them at the edge's of the bean fields where I am seeing some nice buck right now, around here where I live, my camera would quickly grow some legs, and make itself disappear!!(thieves), therefore, I am forced to put my camera where the lazy #$%$@ won't go, and that is into the thicket's. Even though I am not "pin pointing" a buck's trail that he is using out in the open, I at least know he is there. I wish I could just place my camera out in the open, or not worry about it, but I spend to much time tinkering with them to have some idiot decide he would like a free game camera! So, the harder it is to get to, the less chance of it becoming orphaned!! (and I do get some nice buck photo's in the thicket) Good luck to you.

Top Bottom