Wheres the rice ?

Bigolwiggler

Reaction score
Heading south on I-5 yesterday I couldnt help but notice that ,  from what I can estimate,  about 15-20% of the rice land along the highway hasnt been planted this year.

I know that for economic reasons  (whether we agree with them or not )  the government will pay farmers NOT to grow a percentage of certain crops to control crop prices.

I cant help but think that this years reduction in rice , should have a positive effect on duck hunting.

Lets see  ,  less rice planted means fewer fields that will be flooded after harvest to "rot" the rice stubble down ,  which means less water for the ducks to land in , which means more ducks per acre of flooded field . Which means more birds in the freezer for me.

Wishful thinkin ?  We'll see.

Duck populations have been going  up ,  I have been tellin my buddies for a couple years that all we need is a year that see's fewer flooded fields and we will have a GREAT duck season.  

Ever the optimist................

Brett.................................  

Ponscm

Reaction score
75,000 acres less planted this year in CA alone.  We still need the weather.  I guess we can only wait and see what happens.

Top Bottom