Which 20ga and 12ga shotshell load for dove?

uplander

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am taking out my Franchi 48AL 20ga that I bought used for the first time for dove this opener with High Desert Hunt Service. As I have no experience with 20ga, what shot shell load are recommended for dove? Also what about 12ga?
Thanks for the info.
Brian

camo snob

Reaction score
I shoot #8's. what ever is cheap. It's more about wing shooting than type/band of shells, but right now I got a case of Estate shells for under $40 and they cycle well in my gun.

Good luck with the new gun

ducslayer

Reaction score
# 8 shot 1 1/8 OZ I shoot a Browning Gold 3 1/2 anything less will not cycle.

Rnovi

Reaction score
Uplander - I too have an AL48 - great gun. I love the weight when I'm humping for Chukar. For chukar I carry 25 rounds and am happy to shoot 10 over the whole of the day. Heavy #5's work great for that.

BUT, to be honest, it's a bit light for dove. I mean, the gun itself is a bit light. I bruise up after 125 rounds of the lightest 20 guage I can find.

I've heard that it's quite possible to burn 250 + rounds on a dove opener...

Just to take the recoil I'd recommend a heavier gun.

Explorer66

Reaction score
I use #7 ½ but it is a personal preference. Some like #8 because of the denser pattern and I like the 7 ½ because they seem to hit harder on the long shots. I shoot the 1 1/8 oz loads in my 12 ga, to make up for pattern density. Another consideration is that during second dove season, pheasant season is open and if I am lucky enough to see a rooster, the 7 ½ does a fine job.

Like most others, I shoot the light cheap ammo at the range during most of the year and switch to Remington Super Nitro’s or Winchester AA for the last few trips to the range and for hunting. I’ve seen too many friends frustrated with jam or feed problems (and a ruined hunting trip) with other brands of shells. I know that lots of folks have never had a problem with many other brands, but my experience keeps me using the Remington or Winchester high-grade shells for hunting. With an O/U now, I do not have the jam/feed concerns, but the little bit of antimony (sp) in the higher grade shells makes for slightly harder shot and a more consistent pattern (I need all the help I can get).

It is possible to shoot more than one box of shells just to get a limit of those little gray rockets. I read somewhere that the national average is 4.5 shells per bird…that's the better part of two boxes…if you are average!!! I take a case (for 4 days of shooting) just to save a possible trip to the local ammo shops.

Enjoy your new, to you, fowling piece and have a safe hunting trip.

bcgiesen

Reaction score
I also use 7 1/2s great stopping power also i use high brass shells they also work great for quail and chukar

camo snob

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rnovi @ Aug 6 2006, 01:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I've heard that it's quite possible to burn 250 + rounds on a dove opener...[/b]
If you shoot 250 rounds on a dove field you need practice, among other things. The limit is only 12 down here.
250 shells on 12 doves is insane!!!

Pigbodies

Reaction score
Uplander,

If you are hunting with the High Desert Hunt Service, you'll be hunting on private land and they'll stick you right in the middle of a flyway. On opening day, you won't need anything more than #8 or #7 1/2. If you shoot anywhere near 250 rounds with the High Desert Hunt Service, you'll either have to pay a huge fine to the DFG for being over limit or sell your gun for being the worst shot on the face of the earth.

For opening day, you won't need anymore than 2 or 3 boxes of shells. The hunting will be fast and furious and you should have no problem getting your limit within the first 2 hours (even if you are a poor shot). You may even find yourself passing on easy shots, just so you don't limit out too soon.

Enjoy your new gun and have a lot of fun. That's what opening day of Dove Season is all about!

Hep

CC Lefty

Reaction score
I shoot a 20 gauge as well. Winchester AA SuperSport #8. A bit more expensive, but well worth it. If your local Walmart carries them, your in luck, $4.98 per box.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
I've heard that it's quite possible to burn 250 + rounds on a dove opener...[/b]
Only in Argentina.

The average hunter requires 4 to 6 shots per dove. That seems a little high to me, but that's how averages work, I guess. Regardless, do the math and you'll find that three or four boxes will serve just fine... and if you really need that many shells, it means you didn't spend enough time shooting clay birds before you started shooting at the real ones.

As far as loads, I always used low-brass #8 shot, but the 7 1/2 will help anchor the birds a little more cleanly. Spending a little more for harder shot will also help with the clean kills.

Muddy Boots

Reaction score
Winchester or Remington Heavy Dove Loads with 1 oz of shot. in 20 gauge. 1 1/8 in 12 gauge. Smokes em. Estate has some heavy dove loads too. They worked well for me in the IV last year. Bought them at the Big 5 in El Centro. We should be seeing some shells on sale. Academy Stores down here in the South, has their Heavy Dove shotshells on sale this week for $3.69 a box, normally $3.99. Plan on getting some this week.

uplander

Reaction score
Thanks all for your replies. I think I will go to turners & get me some Estate & Winchesters shells. Last Sunday when I was there it seems they both were in idectical load (7 1/2, 1 1/8oz). I am going to try some with clay birds first then will shoot the same for the doves.
Thanks again,
Brian

Brown Trout

Reaction score
Brian

Big five has the Estates 1 1/8 oz load for 3.99 this week. I belive they had the 1oz load for 3.49.

David

COHunter

Reaction score
I use Winchesters Sporting Clays loads that throw out 1 1/8oz of 7 1/2 at 1300 fps

Works great on every Upland bird I hunt, from Dove to Sage Grouse

Mntngoat

Reaction score
I read a couepl week ago, most people average 6-8 shots per dove. Sounds a bit high to me , but Iam planning on using 7.5's in my 20.

Michael

AnewBigDaddyB

Reaction score
my favorite load for dove & quail is a 20ga. 1oz. load of #7.5's! It's basically the "heavy game" load.
The typical field load of 7/8oz. of #8 or #7.5's I just don't care for!

Bevyhunter

Reaction score
I switched to 7 1/2 high base for dove and quail. I like the way it knocks them dead!!

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Kent sporting clays load.....2 3/4 1 1/8 7 1/2.....1330 fps. Kills everything. (Well, not ducks
)

Hogfest

Reaction score
I shoot 1 oz. of #7.5 Federal Heavy Field Loads that the local Wal-Mart carries. Works great for my S&W model 1000 20 ga. I've concluded that the #7.5 hits harder and farther then the #8 for my gun.

Top Bottom