• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Which .30-.30?

mdhntr

Trying to decide on a .30-.30. Are there any advantages/disadvantages between the Winchester and Marlin? A coworker of mine said his Marlin kicked much harder than his Dad's Winchester. Beside buying this for myself, I want something that my wife can easily operate and is not afraid to shoot.

Rick

Marlins are better than the newer Winchesters, IMHO. If you want to mount a scope, then the Marlin is definitely better. A Win 94 from before about 1975 are better than the newer ones, and the pre-1964 are better still. Between the older Win 94 and the Marlin 336, it's a matter of personal preference and whehter you want to put a scope on it. I have a 1948 Win 94 and a 1974-75 Win 94 and they are nice, with the edge in fit, finish and walnut quality going to the older rifle.

My understanding is that the Marlin has a stronger action. I don't know the particulars, I am just repeating what I have read. I personally own a Marlin 336A with the 24 inch barrel. I have a Truglo holographic red dot on it. Works really well for me.

I replaced the plastic butt plate on my Marlin with a recoil pad. The recoil feels about the same as my Savage in 7mm-08 - very comfortable to shoot from the bench.

EvBouret

I own a 18" barreled Winchester 94 30-30. If I were to buy again and had a choice between a Winchester 94 and a Marlin 336 I believe I would buy the 336. It feels much solider and better built in your hand. Although I do love my Winchester 94 and believe that it can do anything and everything a 336 can do. My 94 just feels a little 'sloppier'. Although it also feels much slimmer and is easier to carry and lug around.

Rick

I have to say that the changes made to the 94 to make it "angle eject" and the use of many stamped parts (cartridge lifter, etc.) did make it sloppy. The 336 is a much more solid gun, IMHO, than the newer Model 94s.

mdhntr

Well, I pulled the trigger :rotflmao::rotflmao: on a new Marlin 336. I looked around for some used ones to save $$, but in the end, Dicks Sporting Goods had the rifle with scope on sale for $329. Have only had it a few days and shot 2 rounds, but really like it so far. Nice action, nice trigger, not bad recoil and a lovely "boom" sound. :)

Don't know if you have any interest in reloading, but, I get pretty nice groups out of my 336 with 35 gr. of reloader 15 and a 150 gr. core lokt.

T.R.

This is my Winchester deluxe Legasy model with angle eject feature. It's a great carbine that shoots an honest 2 inch group at 100 yards with any ammo.

TR

I reckon a Marlin is the best. But a Winchester Model 94, is a Winchester '94. I have '94s that belonged to each of my grandfathers and I wouldn't trade either one of them for a Marlin.

Having said that, Winchester was the gun that won the west; but it ain't no more. If I was buying a new 30-30, I would definately check out the Henry Company. They are not that much more expensive and they are proud to say "Made in the USA".

Last edited:
Had a marlin, sold it. .30-30 is just not my caliber:( Nothing wrong with the gun itself, I had a wild wild west guns trigger in it, it was neat.

TR, that's a nice pic. I have mod. 94 I bought in 1990 (pre-cross bolt safety) What scope is that?

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

T.R.

Mossbery model 464 is a keeper! My nephew bought the laminated stock model with 16.5 inch barrel. It's accurate and very well built. Action is little less smooth compared to Marlin. I suggest handle a Mossberg for yourself at a store and decide for yourself.

Some of the new Marlins built by Remington have quality and wood-to-metal-fit concerns although they're accurate as ever.

TR

T.R.

CATrailRider:

Scope is Leupold 2X-7X. I sight in at 7X but leave it dialed to 4X for vast majority of my hunts.

TR

Top Bottom