Which 357?

brian2

Reaction score
My dad is wanting to buy a 357 handgun to go deer hunting with. which gun would you recommend for this.

T F Coyote

Reaction score
If it's just meant to be a sidearm, I recommend the S&W model 66 with a 4" bbl. If he wants something bigger, I'd go with a Ruger GP-100 with a 6" bbl. I'd definitely go with stainless steel since it requires so much less maintenance.

I have both these guns, and they are great. I usually carry the S&W because it is so much smaller and lighter.

Chuck N. Lead

Reaction score
S&W 686, 2X fixed power scope, Uncle mike's nylon vertical shoulder holster and a good drag rope!

foulshot

Reaction score
Originally posted by Chuck N. Lead@Aug 3 2004, 05:08 PM
S&W 686, 2X fixed power scope, Uncle mike's nylon vertical shoulder holster and a good drag rope!
I concur, 6inch barrell.

T F Coyote

Reaction score
I may have misunderstood the original post. If your dad intends to hunt deer with the .357, I concur that a 6" barrel is the minimum.

Unless all the shots will be fairly close on relatively small deer, most people would recommend stepping up to a .44 mag.

ghrousseau

Reaction score
If the caliber is definately .357 then I would give my 2 cents for the S&W 686, 7 shot stainless steel in the 6 inch barell. I own one in 4". If the purpose is to hunt deer, I would upgrade and go with the Ruger Bisley or Blackhawk Hunter in 44 magnum with 6 inch barrell.

Also.............the Blackhawk comes with scope rings. They shoot very well and are in the same price range as S&W $500-$600

Latest Posts

Top Bottom