• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Which big bore?

rodneyshishido

I want a big bore rifle. I do not need it. I am not planning any hunt to Africa or to go after big bears. I have narrowed it down to the 405 winchester, 45/70, 450 Marlin and 458. I am a lefty and do not see any lefty bolt actions in the big bores at reasonable prices. I am not sure whether to go with a levergun or single shot like the Ruger #1. I would like to eventually shoot cast bullets.

What are your thoughts?

Taos

Hard to go wrong with a 45 70, it has been taking care of buisseness for one hundred years. I shoot nothing but cast bullets and black powder in mine. Hard cast 500 grainers will go through both shoulders af any elk that ever walked at 150-200 yds. I still want a .405 though.

sidepass

405 winchester or 45-70, can't go wrong with either. Took a blacktail with my 405 winchester this year,I was impressed. Granted it doesn't take that much gun for our little deer here in California. My TC Encore puts them in 1 inch at 100 yards and I'm comfortable with it out to about 200-250 yards.Big bullets and big holes.
sidepass

rodneyshishido

Thanks for the responses. I have been leaning toward the 405. There is no particular reason, the caliber intrigues me. I have also always wanted a Ruger 1. Its just that the 45/70 has been around so long and I keep hearing good things about the round.

Speckmisser

Hard to argue with Teddy Roosevelt's go-to African gun, the .405. Fun round and still realistic for American game.

I have to say I got a kick out of my first experience with the 450-400 Nitro Express (pun totally intended) in the Ruger #1. That's a lot of gun and no mistake...

As I've mentioned a time or two, I'm partial to the side-by-side "Express" type rifles in the big bore, but that Ruger #1 is a really sweet rifle too. Functional AND pretty to look at.

rodneyshishido

I've been looking into the 416 Rigby that tank suggested. Looks very interesting. Okay so now I've narrowed it down to 416 Rigby, 405 Winchester or 45-70.

Thanks for the help! LOL!

AMMOe

I have a Siamese Mauser 45-70. It is on par with the Ruger #1 for strength so it has been loaded heavily in it's day. The recoil is about all you'd want to take. It kills like a thunder clap, though
I'll admit, the largest game taken was a bison. It will kill deer with an amazing finality. I'd take on darned near anything with that gun that I would use a .458 on. The rub?

I don't need it. I shoot mostly loads in the Class I or Class II levels (read "Pet Loads", Ken Waters) and little else these days. Maybe you should ask yourself what your requirements are?? A Ruger #1 45-70 will do a lot and give you the feel of a Farquarsen single shot in the doing.~AMMOe

myfriendis410

If you're going to reload and shoot a lot, hands down the 45-70. Bullet selection, brass, loads, data. It's all there.

I own a Ruger #1 and love it. It required a little work on the forearm hanger but now shoots under an inch all day long.

Taos

If you are a handloader the best way to go in my opinion is the .416. It can be loaded to be fairly flatshooting with 325 X bullets and can be used as an up close stomper with 400 grain solids. Minw would be the last rifle out of my hands. I have used one for 10 years while guiding elk hunters and other than being heavy to tote around the .416 will do it all.

lifesgood

I think .460 Weatherby is one of the best hard hitting big bore caliber. With 500 gr bullet, it still shoot 2600Fps at muzzle, nothing even comes close.......

GregVan

Boy, I have a lot of big bores==hard to decide:

45-70: Sharps copy, orig 1886, Winchester (new) 1886 (45-90), Remington SxS; shoot both black powder and smokeless loads and both lead and jacketed. Always a lot of fun, no matter what. The Sharps and 1886 have an additional historical (nostalgia?) kick to them. The first time you connect on a 500 yd silhouette with a Sharps......

405 Winchester: an 1885 (Ubertis): OK, again a nostalgia kick. The 405 is almost identical with the 40-75 Sharps straight==so I load black powder and call it a 40-75.

458 Win Mag: Ruger M-77. I shoot full loads (great for making small rocks outa big rocks), a real pain to carry. Does take learning how to shoot though or you can really hurt yourself. Once you do that, it's fine.

450 Marlin: No experience.

.444 Marlin: Based on my brother's, it's very overrated.

I will say none kick as bad as a 375 H & H Sako I had.

My recommendation would be either a Sharps or an 1886==that ol' time feelin" is GREAT. Otr maybe an 1895 winnie in 405.

Top Bottom