Which Bullet Design?

woodseye

Reaction score
With all the great and varied bullet designs out there,whats your favorite? I prefer the Nosler Parition 140gr. in my 7mm-08 myself because of large northern deer and the fact I take shoulder shots that contact bone.How about everybody else?

woods

(Edited by woodseye at 7:04 pm on Aug. 15, 2002)

D Letho

Reaction score
Woods,
  Where about Maine are you from ? My Mom lives around the Farmington area. I am headed up tp Eagle Lake in about 2 weeks for a bear W/ bow hunt. We also head up in Nov. for the much needed deer hunt. Great stae you live in ! Man some big deer come from there.

My uncle took his first Maine buck from Houlton about 2 years ago. dressed 212 , 9 pointer in the about 160 class.

Don

woodseye

Reaction score
D Letho,I live and hunt central Maine(Dover-Atkinson area)sounds like a nice deer your uncle shot.And yeh,they do get big up here sometimes.

woods

rickt300

Reaction score
Favorite deer bullet in reloads is the Speer Hot Cor in various calibers. This bullet never fails me. In factory loads the Remington Cor Lokt has been a reliable bullit for me also. I don't usually shoot for the shoulder bone but when I have these bullets did their job perfectly.

shadow

Reaction score
I personally like the Winchester SilverTips, 150 grain, #2's for medium skin game.  They expand very consistantly and are very consistant in the trejectory.  When I block and brace my rifle for sighting in I hit so close it's hard to tell the diff. from the first and second shots.

MarinePMI

Reaction score
Barnes X bullets.  My familytook two last year, and each deer had a nickel sized exit hole.  The round definitely did what it supposed to do.  One buck ran about 25yds (I had a solid chect shot), the other dropped right in his tracks (little brother jerked the trigger, his first buck, but hit him in the neck, passing out the ribcage).  This was with a 85gr .243 @100-125yds for both shots...

Vanilla Gorilla

Reaction score
I don't reload, so as close as I've found is the Hornady Custom with a ballistic tip.  I get .89" groups at 100 yds. with a 270 Win., 130 grain.  I get .79" groups at 100 yds. with a 300 Win. Mag, 165 grain.  I haven't had a deer run more than 20 yards with either one.  I also use Remington Premier Partition bullets, 150 grain 270, and 180 grain 300.  I've tried the Barnes-X bullets, but they dirty the barrel too much.

Jon Bain

Reaction score
For my reloads of the .270 I like the Combined Technologies Nosler Ballistic tip coated 130 grain bullets.  For the 6mm I like the Nosler Ballistic tip 100 grain.  I have not found a load yet for my newly built Rem. 7mm Mag. Or the 7mm-08 I am still working on.

Top Bottom