Which bullet do you use?

feelinducky

Reaction score
I'm just getting into reloading and am curious what bullets you guys use for hogs, deer, elk. I'll be loading for .30-06, and .270. There are so many choices I'm trying to figure out what will hold up the best. It seems my 06 likes heavier bullets better then the light ones. The TSX sounds good for California because of the lead ban issue. I don't know if I'll be hunting in the lead ban range or not.
Thanks

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
TSX
Go with barnes that way you can hunt anywhere.

bpnclark

Banned
Reaction score
Swift Sciroccos and Swift A-Frames for big animals up close. I dont hunt south of Hwy 4 so I'm not worried about the lead-ban (yet).

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
The 168 gr. TSX shoots the lights out in my .30-06. I wouldn't hesitate to use that on a bull Elk, mule deer, blacktail or pig, with or without the lead issue. That being said, the 165 gr. Nosler accubond and 165 gr. Speer hot-cor are both proven deadly to pigs, and give easy accuracy. I'm also about to mess around with the new tipped TSX in my 7mm saum along with Sierra pro-hunters.

I've also heard that the Remington Bonded Cor-lokt is pretty accurate. I'd like to give those a shot.

Basically, what I'm saying is... Welcome to reloading. You'll be cooking up recipes to YOUR tastes, and have a great time doing it.

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
OK - buy some premiums like the TSX or Accubonds, and also buy some old standards, like the cor-lokt or hot-cor or game kings or pro-hunters in the same weight.

Really dial in a load to be proud of with the high $$$ rounds, and develop a accurate plinking round with the cheaper bullets.

Shoot the heck out of the cheaper bullets for practice, and kill things with the high $$$ rounds.

Then go out and kill some things with the cheaper bullets just to remind you that they still work, and that the old man and grampa didn't have it so bad.

Make sure you buy about twenty differet powders to get where you're going...Although I suspect you'll end up using a 4350 for what ya got, just don't deny yourself the fun in finding that out.

bpnclark

Banned
Reaction score
Have you guys bought a box of A-Frames lately? My 375 box just came in and I was shocked. They’re individually separated, they’re all are upright and a gold light glows and Angels sing when you open the box.

Why would you buy anything else?

feelinducky

Reaction score
Rancho-
Thanks for the info. With the Barnes TSX, I read that they are a little longer and there is occassional difficulty with seating depth. Have you had any problems with that?

pbrdog

Reaction score
My 700 BDL (30-06) loves 165 gr bullets. Right now I have some Nosler Partitians loaded, but will be trying the 165 gr Barnes sometime soon. 4350 is a good choice in powder.

Hitechhunter

Reaction score
I switched to Barnes X on my 300 WBY and have killed a deer and a pig, 30 yards and 100 yards, respectively. The bullet just sailed through the lungs and the animals took a while to go down. Is this just a case of too much velocity, too close, or should I look for a faster expanding bullet to transfer more energy to the animal? Pigs can be a real bitch to pack out and I want to put them down on the spot. I've had fantastic performance with Trophy Bonded Bear Claws at close range in my .270.

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
Hitech.

300 Weatherby is a lot of gun for deer and pigs. If you roll your own maybe back the load down a bit.
Maybe not use such a tough bullet.
The ranges you mentioned may be too close for the Weatherby.
Maybe use the 270 for such game since you've gotten good results.
Save the Weatherby for Elk and up?

I've shot several deer and elk with the Hornady Interlocks and Nosler Partitions.
The Interlocks went clean thru but the Partitions kinda loitered around and caused a bit more damage and a ready kill.

I'm anxious to try the Nosler E-Tips.

Hitechhunter

Reaction score
Agree, but I'm trying to reach out for those potential long shots (Boone & Crocket Leopold scope), and the dang critters keep showing up at bow range!!

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feelinducky @ Apr 4 2008, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Rancho-
Thanks for the info. With the Barnes TSX, I read that they are a little longer and there is occassional difficulty with seating depth. Have you had any problems with that?[/b]
I've done both calibers and no problem. You will find if you want max pressure, your loads will be a grain or two higher than what Barnes has as the max load. But start low and work your way up....you mileage may vary! Don't forget to weigh you cases before you load if it's new brass.

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feelinducky @ Apr 4 2008, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Rancho-
Thanks for the info. With the Barnes TSX, I read that they are a little longer and there is occassional difficulty with seating depth. Have you had any problems with that?[/b]
That might pop up depending on your rifle's throat and magazine, and it can go either way.

You'll want to start the TSX's .05 off the lands, but the problem is with some rifle's looong throats, you may not be able to load the cartridges in the magazine. That happened wih my .300 win mag. If you seat the bullet farther into the case to get it to load, you start sacrificing powder capacity - but I don't think that will happen with your .270 or '06. It happens more with short mags and removable magazines. If anything, you might have a problem with keeping the minimum 1 x dia. of the bullet inside your case while trying to get .05 off the lands.

feelinducky

Reaction score
I just started reloading. But how do I get .05 off the lands? I know this is probably a rookie question.

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
Not a rookie question at all - and it's prolly te greatest part of the accuracy equation when rolling your own.

The easiest way would be to get a cartridge length gauge, made to find the distance to lands for your particular rifle: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...leitemid=190644

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...&t=11082005

Or you can take a fired case from your rifle and put your chosen bullet into the neck at an obviously long length. The case neck should hold the bullet snug enough that it won't slip out or in, but still allow it to move when it's jammed against the lands. You might need to smack the neck against the edge of your bench to get the right holding power. Carefully load the case and bullet into your chamber, and gently close and cock the bolt. The gently cycle the bolt to remove the case without it ejecting onto the floor.

Now measure the OAL of your case and bullet - this will be your distance to lands. Do this several times to get where you are getting consistant results. Now when seating your bullets in charged cases, deduct your chosen distance from lands from the OAL and that will be your cartridge's loaded OAL. All different brands of bullets will give you a different distance to lands due to their individual shape - aka ogive. And each individual make of bullet will like a different distance to lands. TSX's like a bit of a jump - .05 is a good place to start, and they have been known to shoot the lights out at longer distanes from the lands. Other bullets like .02 and maybe closer for best accuracy.

Another way is to use a 1/4" hardwood dowel. Slide the dowel down the bore from the muzzle until it hits the bolt face. Mark that at the crown with a razor. Next, pull the bolt, and load a bullet into the throat and hold it there with a pencil. Repeat with the hardwood dowel and mark at the crown. The distance between the lines is your OAL to lands.

Use a good pair of calipers to measure - starretts or mitutoyos. Look on ebay for used digitals, they usually go for a pretty fair price. Get rid of the chinese junk they sell in the reloading kits or at harbor freight.

Be careful messing with distance to lands. Work up your charges when at a specific distance to lands. If you want to mess around with a different distance, work up again from the start. Rifles will build pressure quickly when the bullet gets closer than it likes to the lands.

And very important - make sure your super accurate loads will fit into your mag. You will prolly be loading at the range single shot, and It will suck to work up an awesome load, pop out about 100 cartridges at home, and then find out you're too long for your mag.

myfriendis410

Reaction score
I'll put my two cents in: TSX's and Accubonds. Get the Accubonds from the Nosler website seconds. They are just fine and half the price as a box of "firsts". My hunting partner uses the MRX in his .270 and really likes them--at $35/20 bullets! No thanks. IMR 4350 is great in the .270 and H4831 for the -06. CCI or Federal Match (if you can find the Federal) for primers.

If you buy brass the best in my opinion to worst: (of the most common brands)

Norma or Lapua
Nosler custom
Federal
Remington
Winchester

Speckmisser

Reaction score
The jury is still out, but if you're loading 30 cal (30-06, 300winmag, etc.) you might try the eTips from Nosler. They're lead free, and it looks a little like they may deliver a little more energy on game before passing through. Haven't used them at closer ranges, so performance may be a little different.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with the Barnes TSX, but I keep hearing these stories about punching through instead of knocking the animal right down. Hitech, how far did you have to trail the animals you shot with the TSX?

Hitechhunter

Reaction score
The trails weren't that long, but unfortunately the pig ran about 100 yards straight down into the nasties AND DIDN'T LEAVE A BLOOD TRAIL! We had to winch her out after I finally found her. That's the part that frustrates me, no blood!

On both animals, you could not tell by their reaction that they were hit. I put a second one into the deer because he was just standing there. I'm a meat hunter and I hate having to hit something twice. Fortunately both passed through the ribs, so very little meat was lost. Ditto on the pig.

I'm going back for pigs soon, I think I'll leave the Weatherby factory Barnes X on the shelf and try Federal (factory loads). If I am lucky enough to hit one, I will report results.

I'm using the WBY w/Leupold 4.5-14X Boone & Crocket scope because I want to be able to reach across the canyons and deliver a punch, but I also need to be able to whack 'em at close range and put them down before they have a chance to run.

Top Bottom