Which call do you use?

lintongb

Reaction score
I have used my friends electronic caller a few times and have had some success but would like to get a couple of hand calls for varmint hunting.  I can't decide which ones to get.  I was wondering which ones some of you use.  I'm assume most use a Jackrabbit (Long range), Cottontail and a coaxer. Are the combination calls (3 in 1)as good as the seperate ones?  I was looking into the circe MVP.  I was thinking about a woodpecker distress call too.  What are your thoughts? and some of your favorite calls?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
CLOSED REED CALLS - These calls are known as closed reed calls, meaning the reeds are enclosed in the body of the call. These calls are not as loud as the open reed calls.

OPEN REED CALLS - The open reed type calls have an exposed reed that sticks out where you can see the reed. These calls are usually harder to use, but they offer a larger range of sounds to the caller in my opinion.

BITE CALLS - Bite calls have a little rubber mouthpiece you can bite on to hold the call in your mouth and by changing the pressure on the mouthpiece with your teeth you can change the pitch of the call.

I've used the Lohman/Circe jackrabbit and cottontail calls for years and really like them. The jackrabbit call is really raspy and loud.

I have a Woodswise Vari-pitch Howler that is really good for a bite call that you can change the pitch on. The Johnny Stewart PC-1 vari-pitched call is one of the all time favorites among varmint hunters.

Many varmint hunters like the the CRIT'R Call which uses the open reed design so you can really wail on the call to reach way out there.

Dan Thompson Calls are a good choice for yotes and can be found at P.O. Box 624, Rawlins, WY 82301. PH# 307-328-4079. He makes a good howler and yote pup call. The PC-2 is a good yote call.

A few of my hunting buddies have the Burnham Brotehrs mini blaster call.

DEER FAWN SCREAMER CALLS - Another good call to have is a good deer fawn screamer. The Johnny Stewart FB-1 fawn bleat is a high pitched call and the Knight & Hale Game Calls 1024 fawn bleat is a low pitched call.

TURKEY DIAPHRAGM MOUTH CALLS - Another good coyote call is a turkey mouth call diaphragm. Every year I call in a yote or two during turkey season. You can yelp liike a turkey or make painful sounding squeals with some practice. Like a bite call, this call leaves your hands free for quick action. Quakerboy Game Calls makes some good turkey mouth call diaphragms. You can get double, triple or quad layers of latex rubber in these calls. The more layers of latex, the harder it is to use the call. Diaphragms also come with cuts or notches in the latex to make them sound more raspy. If you're new to mouth diaphragm calls, get a basic single or double latex with no cuts and learn to use it well and then you can try out the raspier triples or quads with notches. Buy only aluminum frame diaphragm mouth calls since the plastic frame calls break when you bend them to fit the roof of your mouth. Trim the tape part of the call down with scissors so it's not as large, the large tape makes many people gag.

PEACOCK SCREAMER - I got this call to use as a shock call for turkey hunting but it has called in a few curious yotes. It has a plainful wail to it and it is pretty loud.

LOCATOR CALLS

I have an old fire engine siren that I have hooked up to a cigarette lighter plug to do general scouting for yotes. You can drive the roads in new areas and stop and hit the siren to see if the area holds any promise. Yotes, like all dogs, can't resist howling back to a siren. A quick mark on the map and time and you have future areas to set up in. Code 3 makes good sirens. You can find these old sirens at swap meets or salvage sales. Make sure and only use the siren while stopped in your hunting areas. Mounting the siren in your vehicle and playing Barney Fife is frowned upon by most police departments.

Quacker Wacker

Reaction score
This is great info on what calls to look at, but I am a novice and was hoping for some info on a good book/tape/internet site for learning how to call.  I have killed a half dozen yotes, but all where incidental kills while deer hunting.  Unfortunately, I don't have the free time to join in the So Cal coyote shoots.

songdog

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to post a .wav file?  If so, I'll post a couple of recordings of what some different calls sound like.  The sound is really one of the smaller variables when hunting coyotes but sometimes it helps to hear someone else for the first time.

songdog

Reaction score
Just figured it out...

Here's a reall simple call .  I'll record some more and post them if it's helpful.

lintongb

Reaction score
I don't know how to post a wave file but there are a number of different sound files on the Johnny Stewart website.  I still think nothing compares to actually hearing it live from someone who knows how to call (like Songdog or other veterans).  I am still a newbie myself.  It's hard to get a real grasp when you only hear little snippits but it give you an idea.

bigtroutbane

Reaction score
Great post Song Dog.  I downloaded the file.  When will there be more demonstrations.  Maybe Jesse can add some of those to his info pages.

bigtroutbane

Quacker Wacker

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, I havn't actually been able to listen to them yet, my hardware is not real up to date here at home but I will listen from the office on Monday.  

Top Bottom