Which Camera?

BuckSnort

Reaction score
I am looking for a digital camera in the $ 200 price range.I will be using it as a carry around camera,it will mostly stay in my backpack.I would like to be able to print 8x10 photos with my printer.I would appreciate any input you folks could give me...

Kickaha

Reaction score
Hi BuckSnort,

There are a lot of cameras out there.  Keep in mind that even $1,000 digital cameras can't produce the same results at 8x10 photos as 35mm film cameras.  You can still get it to look pretty good, but just realize it's not going to look like a real 8x10 photo.  In about five years, yes.  Today, no.

That said, go to http://www.pricegrabber.com/ click on the electronics tab, find the digital camera link and click on that.  Off to the left you'll be able to sort the list of available cameras by manufacturer, # pixels, zoom, memory, and price.  They list about 50 cameras from $100 to $200.

If you want good looking 8x10 printouts, the most important thing you'll be looking for is the number of pixels.  These are usually listed as either the number of "Megapixels" or the HxV resolution.  Some common examples in that price range: 1280 Pixels x 960 Pixels or 1.3MegaPixels, and 1600x1200 or 2.1MP.  2.1MP is about the best you'll get for that price.  

Other things to look for:

- Optical vs. digital zoom.  Optical is always better.  You'll notice distortion from digital zooms.  Some cameras have both.  Always go with optical.  You can always digitally zoom in after you have the picture on your PC.  

- Memory type.  Most cameras have some sort of removable memory.  This is the equivilent of the film, but you can reuse it.  If it doesn't have removable memory media, forget it.  Removable media lets you get multiple memory cards so you're not stuck when your camera gets full.

- Interface to your PC.  Make sure you can connect the camera to your PC.  This depends on what kind of ports you have on your PC.  Most newer cameras will ship with USB connections.  Or you can always remove the memory card and insert it into an card reader.  Whatever, make sure you can eventually get the pictures from the camera to your PC.

They have a lot of other options, such as flip-out LCD screens that are really up to the individual.  If you want to spend the money, they'll find something to let you spend it on.

Kickaha

Reaction score
One more thing...

Be sure to read the "Before you buy a camera" thread at the top of this forum.  It talks about gray-market dealers, mostly out of NY.  Make sure you take the dealer's ratings to heart.  

BuckSnort

Reaction score
Kickaha,
  Thanks for spending the time to help me out about my camera choice,your help is appreciated.I will check out Pricegraber tonight and look at the cameras. Thanks again

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Bucksnort,

Once you get an idea what general camera you want, check out those two links Eric posted in the "Helpful Links" thread on top of this forum,  dpreview and Steve's digicam. They have excellent reviews along with pics of the cameras. Once you narrow it down to a couple of cameras you can read the froums there to see what the problems are if any and make a final choice from there. I'd also hit a camera store if you can and handle the cameras. I was all set on the new Sony mini CD 1000 last year until I picked it up. It was huge and felt like a boat anchor around my neck.

BuckSnort

Reaction score
 Thanks spectr17, I will check those links also. I am also looking to buy a digital camera for taking photo's at wildlife,and I think I remember from a while back you said you have a olympus 2100 uz . Would you still recomend this camera? If so where is the cheapest place to buy one? Thanks again for your help..

Top Bottom