Which film is best?

Buckoholic

Reaction score
Is there a film speed, film brand, and/or exposure count that seems to render the best results? On my first roll I used Fugi 200 speed with 24 exposures. The reason I made this choice was because most point and shoot style cameras render better results from 200 speed. In fact, most camera manufacturers recommend 200 or 400 speed film for their cameras. I used Fugi because it has a better green and blue color saturation according to the photography publications I have read. I chose 24 exposures only because I couldn't wait for 36 exp. to be taken.
Is there a better combination for these game cameras? I was considering 400 ISO because it might allow for more light in the shadow areas of the night pictures. I have seen a lot of great looking pictures on this site and I was curious what everone was using. If you will please post and let me know, maybe we can all find a common film type that seems to be working the best. Thanks!

Brotherwolf

Reaction score
I was kind of wondering the same thing. I've been using Fuji 400 with 24 exposures. I've been happy with it but if there is something better I'd like to switch.

BackWoods

Reaction score
I use  Fuji 800 and have been thrilled with how they have turned out.

dharter

Reaction score
Backwoods, are you using 800 speed film with the canon owl pf date camera? I had wanted to try that speed film, but the manual has only up to 400 speed listed.  Also I would like to use 1000 speed film for those low light condiitons.  Have you tried that speed?

Possum

Reaction score
I haven't done a lot of rolls yet, but I have been using fuji 400.  It did pick up some bucks that were at the edge of the flash area.  I might try 800 next time and just see if there is a big difference.  I am using a OWL date.

BackWoods

Reaction score
I havent had the courage to try and build my own cams (guess you could say it is just a whole lot easier to just buy one).  I own 2 non typicals.  When I got my first one I went to a camera store and explained my camera and what I was using it for.  I asked her advice as to what film to use.  So I tried the Fuji 800 and now would never try anything else.

Buckoholic

Reaction score
Backwoods-

What brand is the camera in the non-typical?
I have been thinking about 800 speed but like dharter said, the manual calls for up to 400 speed.
I was afraid it would wash out my foreground too much. Do you have your pictures posted on-line anywhere? I would love to see the results of 800 ISO film.

mike

Reaction score
I go through Three rolls of film a week. That's 24 exp. I use ISO 400 Polaroid. At Wal-mart you get 96 exp. for $5.96. I've been using them from the start and they take great pictures. I'm sure 800 is better, but how many cams do you have out. And how often are you changing them. After awhile it starts to get expensive.

BackWoods

Reaction score
Buckoholic I use the same camera that Trapp listed (Olympus Infinity XB).  My manual also only said to use 200 or 400.  But like I said I asked someone at a camera store which would be best for my use and she suggested Fuji 800.

gtk

Reaction score
I use fuji-400 most... But I have found it makes a big difference "where" you get your film developed.  

Here in the mid-south, Walgreens does a 100 % better job that Wal-Mart.  There is no comparison on the quality.  I think it's the paper they use...  Walgreens uses "Kodak" paper, and Wal-mart used 'Fuji" paper.

Buckoholic

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback fellows. I have decided to go for a roll of 800 ISO just to see if I like it or not. Then try 400 if I am not satisfied.

bowbender

Reaction score
ive been using fuji 400 superior x-tra film with some excellent results, the pix after dark are just as plain as daylight pics! 4 rolls are about $7.97 @ wal-mart , but to me it is worth it ,because you never know what is gonna pass in front of youre cam, it could be an animal of a life time!i have some pics posted here, both night and day pix using this film

Top Bottom