which film to use in my surrveillence camera?

smack

Reaction score
Which is the best film to use for my surveillence camera ( 200, 400, or 800 speed?)  I have it set up looking at a bean field.  Also, which film to use in timber?

fishboy1

Reaction score
Smack,
My favorite color 35mm film is Fuji NPZ 800   The reala is great too but only goes up to 400.  A bit more expensive as it is professional film, but it has MUCH better grain structure and tolerance of different lighting sources.  Give it a try and I bet you wont go back to whatever you normally use.

David

bat

Reaction score
Hey smack, I think Canon (if you are using the Canons) recommend that you use the DX-coded ISO 100, 200 or 400 speed, the camera will automatically detect which one you are using and select the correct setting.  It does a great job especially if you are using a UV len and good quality paper and processor.  Someone posted that they had used the 800 in it also with good results. I think it is probably a personal preferance as to which one you use and which camera you are using it in.  I use only 400 in mine and the quality is great.  bat

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
I only use 400 speed film in mine. I generally use the cheap poliroid film from Walmart. I think it comes to about 2 bucks a roll. MC.

bigbucks

Reaction score
        I also use 400 fuji. A camera guru once told me that fuji is a very good film. I think the flash range will be longer with 800 though.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
This has come up several times, do a search for "cedar N sandy",  I seem to remember he did a comparison on some film and posted the results (he didnt' start the Post tho, so don't search "Posted By"

Tinhorn

shufigo

Reaction score
I'll echo MCinIl - WalMart's price on fourpacs of Polaroid comes in at well under $2/roll for ASA 400. I haven't found anybody else under $2, and I can't find any quality differnce between it and the other "name" brands.

One Shot

Reaction score
smack,
   I have been using Fuji's Superia 400 film with good luck.  It has the same 4 color layers as their pro film' (Reala, NPZ, NPH II), handles morning & evening light great.  At night the 400 speed film lets the strobe on my Canon Owl PF carry about 15'.  Also remember the date back imprints better on the 400 then the 800.  On 800 my date & time imprint are washed out.  If I had to buy my film at retail prices I would buy the cheapest 400 I could and use a lab that gives you credit for prints you don't want.  You need to save $ where you can to buy more film.
   Good luck and try to let the camera shoot all the frames instead of using the mid-roll rewind.

shufigo

Reaction score
Agree 100% with 50% of that. Walmart only charges me for the prints I keep and has the lowest price for ASA 400.  As for waiting for all the film to be shot, I'd go nutso if I had a few shots on a roll and would have to wait longer than a week to pull the film. I think the desire for lowest cost is overcome by satisfying the reason that you're doing this all in the first place. IMHO

passgas55

Reaction score
Polaroid 400 for me. I buy the 4 pack ,24 exp per roll , at walmart for right under $6.00.Then I get the single 3" prints with the internet service for a total of $3.50 to $4.00 per roll.Drop film off on a Monday, pickup on Thursday.I quit usig the 1 hr service because I still needed a way to post pics and I don't have a scanner.

Top Bottom