Which GPS can display the USGS TOPO?

stevem

Reaction score
I am new to this site and I am very impressed with the quality of topics and conversation here. Great site.

I want to buy a GPS in the $300 to $500 range and would like to here some opinions.

Can I download all or portions of a USGS 24k scale map?

I would like to use the GPS to follow a jeep trail or other to get to a specific site or find my way back to the truck.

Being a geologist I have done some surveying and own a high quality handheld transit that I always take into the field with me. The GPS's seem so convient to use and I am hoping to only use the map and transit for a backup.

Am I on the right track?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

stevem

Topclamdigger

Reaction score
Garmin 76 MAP is  a handheld GPS that uses 1:100K topos available form Garmin software. I am also looking for  a GPS/software that will offer 1:24k topomaps. Maptech.com offers 1:24K topo map CDs that will interface with GPS and PC. The program is called Terrain Navigator. Maptech also offers soft ware for interfacing a Pocket PC and GPS that will allow using 1:24K maps from Terrain Navigator in the field that have realtime navigation functions. I'm using Terrain Navigator and printing my own topo maps currently.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
stevem,

Welcome to our forum. I haven't seen any GPS units yet that will allow you to upload 1:24,000 topo maps into their database. Garmin has their own proprietary topo software and they will not allow anyone to modify their code. There is a large demand for this need but it's still on the drawing board from what I read in the GPS newsgroup.

stevem

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments.

Looking forward to future discussions.

stevem

Latest Posts

Top Bottom