Which GPS for hunting?

Reaction score
I am new to the GPS scene and do not know much about GPS units. I am looking for a unit to use while hunting in thick heavy woods. From what I have read so far it looks like the Magellin Meridian series seems to have the best reception in heavy cover. Can someone shed some light on my otherwise dense knowledge of GPS usage? Which unit for the woods?

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Hi LH,

Besides checking out Jesse's reviews at his home page, take a look at this sight too

http://joe.mehaffey.com/

Here is my 2¢ worth......

Antennas:
Magellans have a more sensitive antenna system compared to most Garmins, which usually use a "Patch" antenna.  From what I read, the signals the Patch Antenna recieves are a more "Valid" signal for calculating a precise location.  Satelites along the horizon, for instance, are suspose to be distorted and cause location errors

So, the question is, do we want the GPS to have a more precise location and not lock on otherwise, or do we want the GPS to lock on, no matter what the accuracy

Got Me!  matter of opinion I guess

But

I was afraid the Patch Antenna just wouldn't cut it because I also use mine mostly in the woods but.....

I now have a Garmin Etrex Venture, with the patch antenna, and an older Magellan 4000.  I can't really tell much difference outdoors between the units, as far as locking on (but can indoors, the Garmin seldom locks on, the Magellan usually does)

So I think I'd decide what features are important and buy a unit based on them about as much as I'd consider the antenna system.

By the way,   Cheap GPS's are just as accurate as expensive ones, what you buy with more money is features.

and be sure to take a 2nd look at the Etrex Vista's

Tinhorn

Topclamdigger

Reaction score
The Garmin 76, Map76 and Map76S all have Quad-helix antennas with WAAS capability. They are sensitive and are accurate to 3-4 meters with WASS enabled. Satellite signal strength is at times weak under a dense forest canopy during summer. Add a GA 27C Low profile antenna to amplify signal strength to maintain accuracy. I've been using the Garmin76 for the past year, and have recently aquired the Map76S.

PowDuck

Reaction score
I have the Garmin eTrex basic unit and have no problems with it. It locks in even in dense foliage, it's very reasonable in price, very small unit so I'll actually carry it with me when I go out, and it does everything I need it to do without all the bells and whistles.

For hunting situations and my money's worth, I suggest garmin eTrex.

Bald Eagle

Inactive
Reaction score
I had a Garmin Etrex Venture and it worked great but the screen and text was so tiny I couldn't read it.  I won a Magellan Meridian Gold at work and I love it.  It has a slightly larger screen and it seems to be just right for me.  It seems that it locks on much quicker and maintains contact under a canopy better.  I gave my Venture to my son and he loves it, also.  I think they're all fine units nowadays - it's a matter of personal preference.

Advertisement

Top Bottom