Which GPSR is right for you?

Quinn

Reaction score
I realize this topic most likely could be covered in several of the other (already started) threads, but I figured it best to place a new one here to clear up the topic ID a bit better.
I live in upstate, NY where much of the time in warmer weather you can find very heavy tree cover which of course will make sat reception all most as tough as getting the wife to let you take off for the day to do some fishing.

Many people look at the features of a GPSR before they hop to how receptive the unit is, for those of you planning on staying in the open and not traveling to anyplace where tree cover or gorge basins will come into play this is fine, but for those that are looking for a GPSR that will get them out of the woods safely with little worry of powering up to find out you can't get the sats needed to locate where you are there needs to be a few other things looked into before making a GPSR buy and your local friendly outdoors store.

I am the site owner of http://www.navicache.com which is a Geocaching website based here in NY but taking cache submissions from all over the world, owning this site has been a big plus for me in the fact that when anything new on the market comes out I normally get first chance of getting my hands on the new units to kick the tires and play with them a bit. right now I am the owner of GPSR's such as the Magellan 315, 330map, Meridian Gold, Meridian Platinum. Garmin map76, Garmin IIIPlus, Garmin V, Garmin Vista, Garmin etrex, etc-etc-etc...

Well anyways, out of all these I have mentioned there are only a few that I would really say i can depend on in thick conditions. Rating them in this order... Garmin V and IIIPlus tie for first, The Meridian lines are second with the 330map just barely pushed to 3rd place. anything in the Etrex family in my opinion (based on testing them side by side with the others mentioned) should not even closely be considered when buying a GPSR. The Vista when it first came out cost about 300.00US and the second I walked into the woods I was doomed as the unit kept losing sat reception, but at the same time the Garmin V and IIIPlus held locks the entire hike and not once skipped a beat.
Make your GPSR purchase based on the reception before anything else, all those bells and whistles will mean crap if you cant get any locks. Most GPSR's with a Quadrifiler antenna system will get the job done, but I have noticed that the map76 from Garmin has also been weak in the reception field and unless I plugged an external antenna into it I would lose sat locks with this unit too.

Geocaching is a game based on being able to locate hidden containers placed by others with the coordinates of said containers being posted on the websites such as navicache.com for others to take and use in their own GPSR's as a means of finding those containers. Thus the sport really depends on the accuracy of a GPSR, so if I can find a small box hidden in the woods based on the info I am giving you, then using this info should with no problem help you in finding that favorite hunting/fishing spot of your truck on the way out of the woods.
If you want the best deals going on GPSR (Garmin) equipment then you will also want to check out Advanced GPS
As Kim (site owner) offers the best deals out there with free shipping and no tax. She also has a price Guarantee so if you find them cheaper just e-mail her and she'll take care of you. For those of you into Magellans you can use ExploreGPS which is also owned by Kim.

Good luck out there you all! Stay safe and have fun!

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Hi Quinn,

Good information and report on the GPS's, we love that sort of thing at Jesse's Site, keep um comin'

I wonder why Garmin insists on using those patch antenna's on so many units? guess they must be a lot cheaper than those Quadrifiler's

I got a cheapie Etrex Venture a while back,  my old Magellan 4000 locks on in the middle of the living room,  the Etrex don't even think about it, hope I'm not too sorry......

See Ya, and welcome to the site

Tinhorn

Quinn

Reaction score
Thats just it...Garmin have come up with some idea's they can really be proud of that pulls them in front of the pack, then the next thing ya know is they drop the ball with the Patch antenna. Kinda like making a porsche and then placing an 8-track player in it for the sound system.

I think Garmin is too busy looking over their shoulder to see what Magellan is doing. The just came out with an updated software version for the Garmin V and when I loaded it my GPSR crashed, I wish they would test this stuff before they throw it on the shelf for people to use.

Magellan has pretty much done away with the Map330 line and replaced it with the new kid on the block that should be hitting stores very soon.

Top Bottom