which one?

joatmon

Reaction score
I have a friend that has a GPS unit and he doesn't understand how to use it. It's a Magellan. I want to get a unit and Gundocc kinda has me sold on the Garmin GPSmap 76. Since I've never owned one or used one is this the wrong one to get? Should I get a simpler model or is this ok for a beginner? I'm going to use it for hunting, fishing and messing around.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Bob

Gun Docc

Reaction score
joatmon,

i have both a Magellan and the Garmin units and either will do what you want.

as for which one to get for a beginner ?

you can't go wrong with the Garmin Map76 , it is very user friendly and is capable of most any task you will most likely ever need in a GPS unit.

with whatever one you decide to go with you will most likely be like i was a few years ago and not know a whole lot about the units themselves, i had read up on the GPS stuff until i had an understanding of how they worked then i jumped in with both feet so to speak and bought me one.....hehehe

i had the basics of how they worked but i had to learn what all them buttons done ...hehehe
this didn't take too long to learn but if i were to have it to do all over again i would have bought a unit that had more capabilities the first time around and learned it's features just as easily and might have saved a few $$$ too

after a few years of owning the Magellan i found that there is less software available than there is for the Garmin units .
there seems to be more software available that can be utilized with the Garmin's and a lot of it is free over the net.

i still got my Magellan unit but don't use it as much as i used to but i will keep it as a backup and also it can be loaned to hunting partners while afield.

good luck on your ventures
Later,

joatmon

Reaction score
Thanks Gun Doc. I'm sold it's the Garmin GPSmap 76.
Thank you again,
Bob

deepwoods

Reaction score
joatmon,
I work with a guy who borrowed a Map76 to find some survey markers (he had the coordinates from a survey record). Near as I could tell, there is no way to field enter a waypoint into the Map76 using the rocker buttons. You can go someplace and "mark" the waypoint, you can upload a waypoint from your computer using a cable and a program like "Waypoint Plus", but if your buddy gives you numbers for a waypoint, your outta luck!

I couldn't believe the folks at Garmin would leave this capability out. I have a 12XL and I enter waypoints manually all the time.

Gun Docc

Reaction score
deepwoods , Welcome to the forum

i assure you that you CAN enter waypoint data in the field easily by several different methods with the Map76

one way is to mark a waypoint the normal way by pressing the enter key once which brings up the waypoint properties screen. from here you can enter ANY coordinance numbers needed by editing what is there from marking the spot earlier from pressing the enter key
to save what you edit and change it to, simply highlight the OK symbol and press the enter key again to save it for future use's of routes or go to's

the other way to place a waypoint into it's memory is to use the map page . sipmly pan the map to the area you are interested in and when you locate that spot on the map simply press the enter key once to bring up the waypoint properties screen from which you can edit and change the coordinance numbers the same way as i posted above.

in either situation when marking a waypoint  you press the enter key once to mark it and twice to save it
when pressing the enter key it will mark the spot with the coordinance numbers for whatever map datum you have it set up for. as there are many , you will have to set it up with the right map datum to find the survey markers.

another way to mark a waypoint in the field is to press the MOB key, this automatically sets a waypoint for your current location from which you can bring up it's properties and edit it the same as any other waypoint.

another way to mark a waypoint is to use the routes page and then when on this page press the menu key and from there you can select ''add waypoint'' which it does  from the waypoint list  or from the map page pointer being placed on a feature you want as a waypoint and then you can then edit it if need be for future use.

you can edit the waypoint in many ways

waypoint name change
waypoint coordinance location number change
waypoint elevation change
waypoint symbol change
waypoint comment change

sorry for all the confusion and good luck on your ventures

Later,

(Edited by Gun Docc at 12:47 am on Jan. 31, 2002)

deepwoods

Reaction score
Gun Docc,

Thanks for the reply.

The first method you described is the one that would fit the situation. He wanted to sit down and create these waypoints  before going out in the field by entering the list of coordinate points on the survey data sheet.

The Map76 manual didn't address that situation. We'll give it another try. Thanx for the education!!

joatmon

Reaction score
Just wanted to say thank you Gun Docc. I did get the Garmin GPSMAP 76. Whaty an awesome unit I love it. I've been out playing with it I have no problems at all. Thanks Again.
Bob

Gun Docc

Reaction score
anytime joatmon ,

new toys are fun huh?

i really like mine with all the features it has

here is an undocumented feature of the GPSMAP 76 that is not found in any manuals

if you are on the satellite page and press the rocker in any direction the position format will change from what ever you have choosen in the main menu setup page to DDD MM.MMM and back again if you press the rocker again.

i keep mine set to UTM as the primary coordinance system and use it mainly with Topo maps and find this feature handy for viewing the longitude/lattitude format if needed

just another feature that may come in handy....lol

good luck on your ventures
Later,

(Edited by Gun Docc at 9:51 pm on Mar. 4, 2002)

Billy in VA

Reaction score
A little old history.

I started using a GPS a few years ago for the mil.
We wanted to know where we were and heep records.  I ordered a few for our use at  a little over $5k each. This was the TrinPack from Trimble. They did the job very nicely although they were a little hard to figure out how to use.  My guess is that  some here will know what I mean.  We later bought the new and very small unit called the Scout for just over $1k each.

Long story short, the new GPS's out there do more and do it quicker and easer then the old units and at a cost that anyone can aford. The E-Trex at just about $100.00 is one of the best buys out there. It will do all that most of us need. Now, some of us like these types of toys and can not help but to get all the bells and whistles as they add them. Next is the new ones coming out in June with the FRS and GPS all in one package and it will send your location to anyone with another  one of the same devices.      Later  Billy

Top Bottom