Which PIR is better??

kerux

Reaction score
Which PIR is better in your opinions... the Radio shack or the MS20/WM2???

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
You know, pandora's box is the next one over!

Seriously though,  you will get some passionate replys to this post.    I prefer the ms20 over the RS PIR.   Those are the only two I have had sucess with but there are others.  The ms20 for me is less sensitive to installation and location of the fresnal lens.   Might be me but I can always get 40 to 70 feet out of the MS20 and sometimes only 15 feet out of the RS.  Now if you keep tweeking the location of the lens, it will eventualy come in to 30 or 40 feet. (I mount them flat)  I like the fresnal lens design better.  I like the critters you get with the sections that look down.   With Jons mods the battery lasts just as long.  I like having the ability to sence at 50 to 60 feet (not all pictures are at night).  They are cheap and readily avail at Walmart.  I have a simple and easy installation method I use>

Okay, now can we hear from the RS Side.

Do A search, this has been discussed to great detail.

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
I am in total agreement with AEH. I also like being able to have a PIR combined with an operational multiple selection delay timer for under $30.00. I also HATE the Radio Shack Fresnal lens.

kerux

Reaction score
When you say "with Jon's modifications" do you mean the standard information found on Jessie's hunting pages for the MS20... the instructions on how to modify it?  Or are there some other instructions somewhere that I don't know about?

coyotebandit

Reaction score
I have used both, and they both have advantages and disadvantages in my opinion.

MS20/WM2
+ Cost
+ Availability
+ Detection distance
+ Fresnel Lens
- Power consumption(w/o Jon's mods)
- Pysical Size
- Difficulty to modify
- Mounting

RS-PIR
+ Physical Size
+ Ease of modification
+ Power consumption
+ Mounting
- Cost(if not on sale)
- Detection Distance
- Fresnal lens

I do have several RS-PIR cameras, and after getting the PIR and Lens aligned correctly they work very well, some have been going stong on 4 AA's for over 8 months.

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Just a personal openion, but to me, the MS20 is easier to mount than the RS. The size is perfect for mounting in the shallow receptical box AEH found, which is a cench to mount. In addition, there is enough room left in the receptical box for just about any timer. As to difficulty, the RS may be a little faster to modify, but I've never found the MS20 to be difficult as long as you got a bulb solder sucker. To me, the speed of modification is about the only plus for the RS.

Top Bottom