which way do I wire the d-380?

coues7

Reaction score
the pixcontroller site has 2 different d-380 style wiring setups. one is on/off and the other "normal" which way do I do it and which is best?

Thanks

wvhunter

Reaction score
Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong but here is my understanding of it. The on/off will give you longer battery life but a slower trigger to picture time. The "normal" or always on will give a faster trigger to picture time but use more battery. I use an RSS board with the cam always on and run it off of 4 D cell's plus the internal batteries on the camera (D380) and most of the time will get 5-6 weeks before replacing the batts. Normally the batteries aren't dead but will be showing a low batt indicator so I go ahead and swap them out.

bowman

Reaction score
Thats how I see it too <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
I use an RSS board with the cam always on and run it off of 4 D cell's plus the internal batteries on the camera (D380) and most of the time will get 5-6 weeks before replacing the batts.[/b]
Are you using the fast refresh or the slow with these D's. Thanks

PaPaBob

Reaction score
wvhunter: I have used both the "always On" and the new "camera OFF" setups with a D-380. It is a little confusing as to your use of the 4 D's. When you use an external battery source and plug then into the cameras external power supply plug the internal 4 AA batteries are NOT used at all. When the D's run down the AA's do not take over. So I hope you are not chucking away those AA's at that point becuase they have not been used.

I think the jury is still out on the "Camera OFF" setup due to the slower shutter time. You are reading the two camera setup correctly. If the camera is at a bait site then the slower shutter time will be just fine. If you are on a runway that is fairly close then I have found that the deer trigger and begin leaving the picture area before the camera shutters. I have modified the camera setups at these sites to to direct the camera kind of down the runway so that the deer are coming at me and staying in the frame longer. This seems to help.

My setups with the D-380's is 4 Cs for the control board, 4AA's for the camera. The AA/s are rechargeables from BatterySpace.com 2250 mAh. These seems to last a long time with lots of pictures. I am experiementing with C cells from BatterySpace 4000 mAh where I am making 2 seperate packs of 5 to give me the right voltage. I am creating them seperately so they can be charged seperately but the wiring harness will hook them up in parallel and then both the RSS board and the Camera will draw from the same battery pack combination. This will give me 8000 mAh's of power to run both items. These batteries are available at BaterySpace.com for a really reasonable price. The individual 5 packs constructed in a "house" pattern arrangement will fit in a Pelican 1060 while standing up with their terminal ends touching the sides of the cases. After soldering and sealing with shrink wrap they should provide me with a long term setup.

Hope this is helpful information to you guys.

wvhunter

Reaction score
No I don't normally replace the internal batts at that time. But I leave them in to hold the camera settings.

bowman, I normally use the std refresh.

SSimmons

Reaction score
With the new universal board you can wire for rsp4i and interchange from a rss to rsp4i chip. Remember, the rsp4i will not run an external light source. That is the job of the rsp3i chip. If you have the old pixcontroller board wire as normal. If I am wrong, which my wife says I am quite frequently, please correct this post. Or my wife.

coues7

Reaction score
I am using the board you can't mention you know the 2 h's and a 1. Thanks for the input.

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
The baord you refer to is setup for refresh so you will wire it as a com/refresh/shutter... Not On/Off

Dan

Top Bottom