Who Remembers

Limited Out

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Never had enough dough to buy that many at a time, Good Question, what year did they reduce the case size?

Sawfish

Reaction score
I remember that! One of our preseason rituals was buying a case of shells before hunting season. They reduced the case size because it took a lot longer to shoot up a case after they decreased the bag limits. Depended on the state, but the best that I remember they reduced the case sizes in the eighties.

Farallon

Reaction score
Maybe it changed in the 70’s. I remember Longs Drug Stores with a couple of pallets of ammo, $2-3 box.

By the 80’s it was 10 box cases, maybe because of cost and the customers were getting older, cases heavier.

I have a picture in my memory..5 cases of ammo..might have been 10 box cases, and maybe 20 12 pks of that bottled beer with the puzzle on the cap, camping on an uncles almond orchard outside of Firebaugh.

I am in CA, I remember there was often a Mexico hurricane that would hit Fresno around the opener. Hot and humid.

dabob

Reaction score
I remember in the early 1970s I could buy a box of Winchester AA target loads at Kern County Gun Club for $2.50. When we went down South to Cole's to buy shot, wads, powder and primers the Win AA target loads were $38.00 per case of 20 boxes.

About the same time I bought a new Remington 870 Wingmaster TB Trap Gun at Grant's For Guns in Costa Mesa for $130.00.

Planetcat

Reaction score
I used to buy thoses cases of 20 boxes of dove loads at a drug store in Turlock called Beeno’s. They were under $2 a box and I could shoot doves to my hearts content.

Limited Out

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I was trying to remember why I never bought any 500 round cases of shotgun shells. I was reloading on an ol" Pacific Reloading Machine back then. I do remember burning out 500 rounds at a time on that thing! I don't have any idea what the reload cost per shell was back then but I know it was pretty darn low. Like .19 cent per gal. gas!

Sawfish

Reaction score
Glad to hear the input from the "more experienced" hunters. I am sure the newer shooters are in shock at the prices from "back in the day". I remember going with my Dad to the corner liquor store the night before the duck season opener to pick up a duck stamp, two boxes Peters High Velocity paper #6 shotgun shells, and snacks for the next days lunch. Had to have those blue shells because they were more powerful than any other brand. Good memories.

Limited Out

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Now $59 will get you 1lb of that Tungsten Super Shot. You can use $20 bills instead of mylar wraps to protect your barrels. Choot Em'

Sawfish

Reaction score
Since we are remembering, I have my Brother's Winchester Model 59 Shotgun (Sixties vintage) complete with Poly-Choke. I am sure that you remember the ads about the gun with its barrel wrapped with 1,000 miles of glass fibers!

Redside

Reaction score
I remember my first year dove hunting, I think it was 1967. The shells I had were Remington cheap dove loads, paper hulls and made in Mexico. Later, we started shooting the old Rem All American shells, I remember the 20 box case we bought that had "post wads". Then we started reloading and moved on to the 20 box cases of AA's and never looked back.

My recollection is a case of AA's was about $40. At Bowers wholesale.

Limited Out

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Those all plastic wads were a big deal when they first came out!

Sarghunter

Reaction score
I remember a Case ( 20 ) boxes of Dove LEAD loads in Arizona 37.50.... TOO the Good Ole DAYS

Latest Posts

Top Bottom