Who Remembers

Limited Out

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Maybe it changed in the 70’s. I remember Longs Drug Stores with a couple of pallets of ammo, $2-3 box.

By the 80’s it was 10 box cases, maybe because of cost and the customers were getting older, cases heavier.

I have a picture in my memory..5 cases of ammo..might have been 10 box cases, and maybe 20 12 pks of that bottled beer with the puzzle on the cap, camping on an uncles almond orchard outside of Firebaugh.

I am in CA, I remember there was often a Mexico hurricane that would hit Fresno around the opener. Hot and humid.
I would like to get back to a place and time where Log's Drugstore sold ammo!

Limited Out

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
My kind of place, Pork Rinds and Ammo all at one place!! It might be illegal to sell these two products in the same location, these days! What the heck happen, pretty soon it will all be illegal or you'll need to fill out a 3 page application to buy or consume pork rinds! Ammo, don't even think about it! California=Crazy Place!!

Last edited:

Farallon

Reaction score
I have a 16 ga pump, from Western Auto. An Ithaca model 37 from The Emporium in San Francisco.

I think (the original) Longs is still operating in Hawaii. I worked for Longs in the old days. Longs used to employe local high school kids, a couple of California classmates transferred to Longs in Hawaii during the summer, they also enrolled in a Hawaiian College: volleyball and surfing.

I duck hunted one of J Longs clubs. He was not there.

eta: $1.50 hr.

Last edited:

Sawfish

Reaction score
The town that I grew up in had an paper plant than made cartridge boxes for the Olin Mark IV shotshells, which were probably the most elegant cartridge boxes going with their Red and Gold foil packaging. The prize the most beautiful cartridge boxes of the time belonged to Peters High Velocity for its blue boxes and fill color rendition of a drake mallard. Simply beautiful.

Sawfish

Reaction score
I bought some Uncle Josh’s pork rinds at Long’s and they didn’t charge sales tax cause it was food.
The Uncle Josh 9" Black Widow Eel was one of the most effective big bass baits that I ever used.

Sawfish

Reaction score
My kind of place, Pork Rinds and Ammo all at one place!! It might be illegal to sell these two products in the same location, these days! What the heck happen, pretty soon it will all be illegal or you'll need to fill out a 3 page application to buy or consume pork rinds! Ammo, don't even think about it! California=Crazy Place!!
But don't you feel safer?

Farallon

Reaction score
No Sears in my town. Gemco, Imbert and Smithers, Herb n Jim’s, Ellington’s....The hardware stores in town also sold guns, Eddy’s? In Mt View?

I enjoyed the Sears Catalog! Herters had a good fantasy catalog,, then Netcraft.

Sawfish

Reaction score
I did most of my gun shopping at Montgomery Wards because they carried a number of surplus guns. Who could resist an 8mm German 98K Mauser for $24.99. That was my first deer rifle which I sporterized into a thing of beauty or so I thought. Argentine 91 Mausers were $20 and 500 rds. of surplus corrosive ammo was about the same price. Just the thing for thinning turtles on the bayou (this was in the sixties).

Last edited:

Sawfish

Reaction score
No Sears in my town. Gemco, Imbert and Smithers, Herb n Jim’s, Ellington’s....The hardware stores in town also sold guns, Eddy’s? In Mt View?

I enjoyed the Sears Catalog! Herters had a good fantasy catalog,, then Netcraft.
Sears Catalogs were used for a lot of things in those days!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom