Who says Gobblers don't eat much in the spring

Tominator

Reaction score
The crop of the 21.5# bird I killed monday contained 27 whole pin oak acorns and a handful of partials, 3 whole pecans, 2 crickets, quite a bit of grass, and my favorite, collards!
I've always heard people say how much weight they loose during the spring since they don't eat much, choosing to breed instead. This cat sure didn't see it that way.
Tominator

tomturkey

Reaction score
Now that boy was getting around wasn't he? The truth is that most gobblers will feed during mating season, but mainly in the afternoon, just before roosting time. I have also seen huge toms taken in the afternoon with full crops, but rarely have I seen an adult tom with much of anything in his crop in the morning or midday. I guess when it's time to go to bed, he starts to think about his belly more than his urge to breed.

tomturkey ;)

Welby

Reaction score
Now I heard this second hand so I can't verify it, but that turkeys have been found with everything from snakes to small small birds in their stomach.  That in addition to their normal table fare.

Anyone else ever heard of such?

PowDuck

Reaction score
What a lucky Tom. I ain't had a good mess of collard greens in a while!! :eat-burger:

Tominator, what time of day did you take that bird?

Top Bottom