Who uses decoys?

glen71

Reaction score
Has anyone used a decoy while varmint hunting? My buddy and I bought one last winter, but have not used it yet. It has a battery-powered mechanism that is covered with fur. When moving, it sort of resembles a moving "coonskin hat"!. Seriously though, it supposedly gives the 'yotes something to focus on when coming in, instead of looking for (and seeing) a hunter.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Yes use it,it will work,otherwise if they dont see something they might get suspicous and vacate the area.Remember it will not make up for a poor set up though.

jerry d

Reaction score
Well, I be dogged.

A robo-coyote!!! Do they work as well as some say the robo-duck does......If so, we better ban them now before the coyote population is wiped out.:wink-yellow:

Marty

Reaction score
Friend uses an old stuffed toy cat on a fishing line to accent an electronic call box.

coyotehunter 1

Reaction score
A cheap decoy...I use a small brown plastic grocery bag hung a few inches off the ground with mono fishing line. I usually tie a few feet of string off a stick or low limb, tie the bag to the line and let it hang upside down close to the ground. The lightest wind will flutter the thin plastic bag plus it gives me an idea of the wind direction. Coyotes are curious critters.
ch 1
I'm cheap

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I use my Snoopy III dog doll. Snoopy III is a Wal-Mart dog doll with a little bell and red xmas hat. About $5.00. Yotes think he is hurt with the red all over him and a little tinkle of the bell really seals the deal. The bag idea Coyotehunter 1 described is another good cheap idea.

I'm on Snoopy III cuz Snopy I and II got chewed up by yotes when I was a little late on the trigger . You should see the yotes faces when they grab the deke and realize it's stuffed and not yummy puppy meat.

For bobcats, hang a feather from a low limb to hypnotize them and keep them from seeing you. One of my buddies Shane, has a skinned rabbit pelt wrapped over a liter Coke bottle he hangs on a stick.

Decoys are a great help in that they keep the varmints eyes off you and when they see the decoy their stomach starts doing their thinking instead of their brain.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
Spectr17 the dog doll is a great idea. I'm gona try it this week, can't wait to see the yotes face when he gets his teeth on it, I might bring my camera and get a pic of it.:litebulb:

BP

Reaction score
I have used decoys for years the best that I have found has been good old road killed rabbits as long as they are not to damaged,when the yoke see them they start to throw caution to the wind  and if your lucky they will  smell your little decoy  and then lets say the party is over for the brush popper

Pasco

Reaction score
I got a jackrabbit this weekend while huntin' birds.  I'm going to make a bobblehead decoy out of him.  I think I'll stuff him with cotton then mount him on a light spring on a stick, if the wind isn't blowing, fishing line will keep him moving.  Never used a decoy, I'll post pics when this thing works.

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
I also use the "coonskin" decoy. It is made by decoy heart, I believe they are at http://www.decoyheart.com, it is a motorized ball that "spins" because of a lopsided weight inside the ball, that is mounted on a spring, with a dowel rod atached to the other end of the spring. You can see it in action on the Primos predator hunting video. I either spray mine with rabbit urine, or just plain old fox urine. They make a toy for kids called a "weasel" ball, it has this ball I am speaking of, with a "weasel" attached by a string, it rolls around on the floor. You could easily make a Homebrew version of this decoy if you can find the "weasel" ball.

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
One of the guys in my predator hunting club is an electronics wizard.  When he made his remote call box he put on controls for a decoy, too.  He uses a toy pig that lays on its side and kicks its feet while it oinks.  The coyotes love it but Bob is kind of a pain always worrying that one of us will shoot his pig instead of the coyote standing over it.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom