Who'd Pass on This One?

jayber

Reaction score
Ok, through the use of my cams as well as other information gathering, I've got this 9-pointer pegged as where he's currently hanging out during shooting hours.  Now it's obvious that he's a decent buck, but I'm wondering how many would pass on him?  I'm torn at this time, leaning 60-40 on letting him go this year.  Thing is, I don't really need the meat and I know there are bigger out there.  Then again, I know I may never see him again if the neighbor's get a shot at him during gun season.  I keep telling myself that shouldn't be the only reason to go after him.  I may never know for certainty until I'm confronted by him.  What would you do??

http://communities.msn.com/JessesTrailCamP...amp;PhotoID=704
 http://communities.msn.com/JessesTrailCamPics/jaybershomebrewpics1.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=705

http://communities.msn.com/JessesTrailCamP...amp;PhotoID=706

jayber

Reaction score
Some of you may have seen this in another part of this forum, but it's more related to bowhunting:

Ok, through the use of my cams as well as other information gathering, I've got this 9-pointer pegged as where he's currently hanging out during shooting hours.  Now it's obvious that he's a decent buck, but I'm wondering how many would pass on him?  I'm torn at this time, leaning 60-40 on letting him go this year.  Thing is, I don't really need the meat and I know there are bigger out there.  Then again, I know I may never see him again if the neighbor's get a shot at him during gun season.  I keep telling myself that shouldn't be the only reason to go after him.  I may never know for certainty until I'm confronted by him.  What would you do??

http://communities.msn.com/JessesTrailCamP...amp;PhotoID=704
 http://communities.msn.com/JessesTrailCamPics/jaybershomebrewpics1.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=705

http://communities.msn.com/JessesTrailCamP...amp;PhotoID=706

Possum

Reaction score
Depends on where I am hunting and how much satisfaction I get from shooting the deer.  Down here we have an average age of MAYBE 1.5 yrs on the bucks.  However, I have 1500 acres in the middle of a lot of pressure. I've found the deer I let go I often see them the next year.  These are deer that are definately identifiable by there racks each year.  That deer has a lot of body on him.  His horns will probably be a lot heavier next year.  He looks like a 3.5 yr old.  In this situation I would probably go for bigger if you know there are larger deer.  However, it is the shooter's choice.

jayber

Reaction score
Yeah, based on his tracks and body size, I was guessing about 3.5 years old as well.  Years past, that would be an old deer in our area, but hunting pressure has lessened thankfully!

Fubar

Reaction score
Jayber    Unless I was after a bigger deer I had seen previously while scouting or on the trail cam, that buck would look fine cut and wrapped in my freezer.                Fubar

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
If you are hunting for meat, shoot a doe instead.  It all tastes the same are giving yourself a chance to look for the 9pt.  

If there are bigger out there chances are atleast one, hopefully more, will make it through till next year.  

I'm confronted with these same decisions myself.  I've got pics of a nice 8 and a nice 6.  Do I pass up the 6 hoping for the 8 later in the season??  I'll answer that when he's standing 20 yds away broadside. :smile-blue:

Good luck,
Todd

bigmandude

Reaction score
at my place he would have to go down. or else the guys accross the fence would get him. i would probably take him anyway..

how bout this ... with a bow bust him.  rifle let him walk. how's that for a compromise

jayber

Reaction score
Yeah, I may see if he even presents himself.....and if he does......????  Last year I passed on a lot of smaller ones and never did get a shot at anything bigger during bow season, but I saw one HUGE 12 pt. during shotgun.  Now that's the excitement I'm looking for!!!!

glen71

Reaction score
I agree he looks to be a 3.5 yr. old. Without knowing your situation or number of buck tags, I would not tell you what to do. If you pass him, he may or may not be around next year. If you take him, he definitely won't be. If you are not sure a buck is worth taking, he isn't. I would pass him.

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
Me personally....I would shoot this deer if I had the oppurtunity. I realize some guys would say that is the perfect "candidate" for letting walk, because next year he would probably be a whopper. But my biggest buck to date is a 9 pt. with a 13-14" spread, and that sure as heck beats anything I have ever shot, rifle or bow. So, my vote would be to shoot him. Good Luck.

wyokid

Reaction score
Jayber
 With archery equipment I would give him a try
 with a rifle I would probably pass. The way I shoot
 a bow he's safe anyhow.

Good Luck....

mkacala697

Reaction score
since i havent shot a deer with bow yet id shoot him, its a nice deer

davered1

Reaction score
If I had him "pegged" I would probably let him go at least till the last couple of weeks of the season(this is usually why I end up with nothing),But it does feel good to know that you bagged him with the help of your cameras,after all that is their purpose,isn't it?

Arrowhead

Reaction score
I'm with Bigmandude.

Bow hunting I'd take him, gun I'd let him walk.

Good Luck.

Possum

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a paintball gun.  Do they make any permanent marking ink pellets?  That way I can say I shot the deer and still let them get big.  The cam pics can verify the paint on them hopefully.  Anyone thought of this?

Matt in MO

Reaction score
If you would have him mounted for the wall take him. If not let him walk for another year and shoot a doe. Show the photos to area hunters and try to convince them to do QDM too.

grtwythunter

Reaction score
I'm jealous. I hunt in Socal and can't imagine passing on a legal buck. The zone I hunt has a 6% success rate so any time I see a legal buck he's freezer meat. Nice headgear is just icing on the cake! One more reason to get out of Socal.       Scott

BackWoods

Reaction score
Possum I have heard of this being done so that they could keep track of certain deer.  From what I remember the paint would usually last the season if it had a chance to dry.

jayber

Reaction score
Matt,
QDM is what I've been preaching, but it's been hard with some of the mentalities around!  A few guys shoot anything that move.....and have the gall to brag about their 80-100 pounders.  Heck, I can't even get my dad thinking of passing on smaller 6-8 pointer's.  One positive thing I have heard him say a couple of times is shooting more does......if we could get everybody around to do that!  As for my tactic, I'll probably start hunting in a different area to see what's moving there.  I can always try for him another time.  But for now, I'm gonna let him walk...

Top Bottom