Whole New Meaning To Ham Slam

Raully

Reaction score
Went to Hogs Wild this weekend and put the smack down. 10 hunters and 10 hogs. 3 guys got skunked. four of us got two. Long drive from San Diego but worth it. One of hardest but one of the most fun hunts you will have. First shot 30 yrds hit spine, lung, and heart. Dropped ten feet away. Second shot was at 25 yrds double lung piled up at 30 yrds. All I have to say them Rage broad heads are tough and devastating. All the wounds look like the pig was hit with an Axe 3-4" wholes. I missed a 30 yrd shot and the broadhead hit a pile of rocks and dirt. I thought for sure it was ruined. I picked it up put in my quiver and an hour later stuck my first pig with it. After seeing the damge these things do I'm convinced. We started hunting at noon friday and two of us had our two hogs by saturday morning. I spent the rest of the weekend shooting squirrels and chasing Turkeys. I'm pretty sore from falling on my arse every other step. Took the wrong boots. Its some very steep and loose terrain and all straight up and down. Here's the money shots!

Raully

Reaction score
Hog #1 6pm friday

The Mountains we chased them in

Damn Squeak ran with my arrow in it.

Biggest boar taken that weekend between us and the rifle hunters.

The Freezer On Sunday. I believe we took the most Hogs of any group.

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
I know that mountian very well. How is old Larry doing? Did you play any poker with him? Looks like you guys had one hell of a weekend!

snoopdogg

Reaction score
Raully--good sh*t homey--you guys definitely put the smack down on them. Congratulations.

Raully

Reaction score
Not much of a gambling man. I always here the storys of guys staying up late drinkin and playin' cards with Larry and not gettting up in the morning to hunt. I think thats Larry strategy LOL! He's doing well it looks like. The late season storms kept the grass greener so the deer look a lot healthier. Hogs weren't moving much and stayed in the thick stuff. We had a hard time getting them to move and finding them. I had good success just being patient and ambushing them instead of stalking and chasing. I left that place empty handed twice and wasn't going to make that mistake again. This time I had a game plan and it worked out for me.

Tuffy

Reaction score
"Biggest boar taken that weekend between us and the rifle hunters." ????????
I thought that place was archery only.
Great job on busting a couple

Raully

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tuffy @ May 5 2008, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
"Biggest boar taken that weekend between us and the rifle hunters." ????????
I thought that place was archery only.
Great job on busting a couple
[/b]

Nope Tuffy. We hunted the archey only area, but they booked rifle hunters on the same weekend in a different part of the ranch. The two different rifle hunters were making comments in regards to the small 120lb sows that were taken. In the end they both shot small sows and drove away with there foot in there mouth.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
thanks for sharing your wild hog hunting adventure story and photos, and congrats on the bowkills, awesome!...........................tra

texass

Reaction score
Raully,

Which Rage mechanicals are you shooting, 2 blade or 3 blade? I've been using the 3 blades and they do make a good hole both in and out. They also shoot just like field points out to 60 yards! I've noticed that the rubber O-rings are starting to crack even on arrows that have never been shot....kindof bummed about that since they were new in January.

Killed a nice javalina with them in January, clean pass through both lungs at 30 yards....found the arrows another 20 yards past the pig.

I have not shot them at Hogs yet, I keep a couple fixed blades in the quiver in case I come up on a big hog.

Texass

DEERSLAM

Reaction score
Awesome job on the hogs! Great pics. Looks like a great trip...congrats

One Track

Reaction score
Hot damn! What do you guys do for fun? Congrats on the hogs, and to kill them with a bow is awesome.

Raully

Reaction score
Texass,

I shoot the 2-blade. I wasn't sure if I wanted to try them on a hog and end up loosing the animal, but they are a lot tuffer than they look. I had to clean up the Hogs before I took the pics there was so much blood. The wholes they leave are a sight to see. I shoot the practice heads out to 100 yrds and they fly like my field points. Not much tracking needed with these guys as long as you put it in the right place. Last year I made a liver shot on a hog in the last hour of the hunt, and ended up not finding it. Was the worst feeling ever and it still bugs me. I know if If I hit that same hog in the same spot with a Rage 2-blade I would have had a bigger blood trail and a dead pig in the cooler. As far as the O-ring they sell replacements for cheap and blades. The first pig I arrowed the O-ring didnt break it actually rolled down the shaft and I just rolled back into place. Just like any rubber that gets moisture or dirt its starts to break down and crack.

Just dropped of the Piggies at the butcher today in Lakeside. Lots of sausage and carnitas!

OneTrack its one of the funnest trips we do every year and the price is just right. I cant wait for the next one. If your game there's always room in the truck leaving Sandy Eggo.

AZ Jim

Reaction score
Nice job !

Way to do it with the bows !

Congrats !

AZ Jim

Redneck75

Reaction score
Which butcher shop are you using out in Lakeside? I've been driving mine up to Tip Top Meats in Carlsbad. Didn't know there was one closer.

Raully

Reaction score
I got his number one day at the Bow and Arrow shop in Lakeside. He's located on Winter Gardens in lakeside. I believe the name is Country Meats. He's a little pricey I think and this is the first time I'm going to use him. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Q2Dude

Reaction score
Looks like you boys had a great hunt. Congrats! About 8 years ago I had my bachelor party up there at ole Larrys place. I had 11 of my best bros there and we hunted the open non fenced stuff a couple miles to the west, I think it was Jacks (?) ranch. We had a ball! We ate and drank like kings and ended up shooting a bunch of hogs. The only bummer was that we were hunting a lot of the same ground that he had rifle hunters out on too. Good times! Again, congrats on the hunt!

Top Bottom