Who's going offshore for Tuna?

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
The Albies, Blue fin and some good Yellows are on the bite!
After this storm passes it should be really good fishing with good weather and the coming of the full moon.

As soon as I see 3 fish per stick with a good blue fin count I'm on the next boat for a 2-2.5 days....my freezer is out of tuna bellies, Albacore, Blues and Yellows.

superduty

Reaction score
My dad launched out of Shelter Island last week for the day, I better call and see how he did. I miss chasing them too but my August 6 day trip on the Independence is coming up.:smiley-mouse:

Orygun

Reaction score
How long does it take to get to the fish this time or year?

We only get the albacore up here but they are typically 6-10 hours out. Sometimes much closer.

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
They are about 100 miles right now, sometimes like last year under 40 later in the season.

Orygun

Reaction score
Yep. That's about what I remember. You should treat yourself and try an albie trip Northwest style. Boats are much smaller, seas are much rougher, and most of the fishing is done with a handline.

You ride out, find a school, fling a line out with a gloved hands and hold on.

Dain V

Reaction score
My buddy and I got on yellowfin outside of of the east end of cat last sept. Pretty fun stuff, haul ass in front of the dolphin, two divers jump in, drop down 60' and watch yellow purple blurs fly past you. The fish were moving so quick the only real proof one swam past was the plum of scales where a sardine once was. We tried to spear them all day, haul ass, jump in, hold breath, dive, wait. signal boat for recovery. We did put one fish on the boat, caught on a mega bait in between pick ups.

Val

Reaction score
Tuna Trip

My rod and gun club have a Tuna charter leaving this Sunday. We're fishing Monday and Tuesday morning.

fishnhuntfreak

Reaction score
anyone have any recommendations for charters up here near nor cal? iv always wanted to try it.

DBAR

Reaction score
I almost never run on the first wave of fish!!!! I will dunk the boat as soon as they get here and settle in a little bit. The first waves of scout schools run through pretty fast. Then the larger waves come in and thats when I splash the boat and burn some fuel!!!!

Duknutz

Reaction score
My buddy was up at Fort Bragg last week and the Albies' were only about 12 miles out.Then he said the wind blew....Nor Cal offshore fishing....
Heavy horns and I are headed down to East Cape for some light tackle fun the 30th of July(should be hot!,weather that is!).
Man I love fishing them thang's!

Lan-Lord

Reaction score
A good buddy of mine caught a 154lb Yellowfin out of Venice La 2 weeks ago. The Mississippi has really made the gulf dirty lately though.

Jean

Reaction score
If they are still in the area, I am looking to get on a boat out of Santa Cruz or Moss Landing next week. I think it's been somewhere between 5 & 8 years since I've been out for albacore. That is just way too long to go without.

Jean

superduty

Reaction score
Just noticed that the Indy got into some nice yellowfin and wahoo on their six day trip. The boat should be in right now, I sure wish I could be down there to see them off load their haul. Come on August 10th!!:confused:

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
The 3 day boats are getting some yf but they are around 20lbs still a little early unless you have a week to motor down/up for the big boys. The blue and big eye are around 40-60lbs and they are in the 2-3 day range along with some Do Do's in the 15lbs range. Albies are still under 30lbs. but things are getting better.
I went out on the Condor a week ago on a 1.5 day, the boat had just under 2 Albies per stick I got 2-20lbs and about 8 tuna bellies so I'm good . I'll have to wait until September due to lack of room in my freezer or maybe October if I get lucky in Utah for deer and elk.

Good luck to everyone!!!!

superduty

Reaction score
Sitting here with my mouth watering on my last day of work before flying out of Elko Airport on the first flight tomorrow morning 5:30a.m.. Landing in San Diego tomorrow evening to spend some time with my grandmother in Chulla Vista and prepare for my six day trip on the Indy. This mornings report has me jumping out of my skin.
08-05-2009 - We're back, We returned from our Kimura's tackle shop 5 day trip today. The trip went great and what a fantastic group of guys to fish with, to say the least. Big fish honors went to Conway Woo with a 101.4 lb. yellowfon tuna, 2nd place was landed by Don Kikkawa a 93.2 lb. yellowfin tuna and 3rd place went to Ron Guiterrez with a 76.0 yellowfin tuna,great job guys. We want to thank everyone who made the trip this year, and a special thanks to Gary Kimura our Chartermaster on the trip. If you are in the Chino Hills area where Gary's shop is please stop by and see the shop and talk fishing with the guys who know!! We departed on the Tahoe Tuna Club for another 5 days of fun in the sun. Thanks for checking in, Mark, Paul and the gang
:smiley-mouse:

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
Good luck!!!

If you need someone to help take some fish off your hands send me an email and I'll give you my phone number. I live 15 minutes away from the landing and I still have room for some fish in the freezer.

superduty

Reaction score
We will be returning on the 16th so come over and pay us a visit that morning if you can. It's trip #17 on the indy web site.

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
See ya on that Sunday I'll wear my JHO shirt, good luck and catch a few for my cooler :confused: I'll bring some ice for you.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom