Who's Going to Blythe

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
I know its kinda early but, I was wondering if anyone has gone down to Blythe to do any scouting? Or if you heard from anyone out there to see if the doves are flying. the only good thing about a hot summer is that hopefully the doves should stay there alittle longer than last year.

stickman

Reaction score
I haven't scouted yet but that's usually where I spend the opener. I've had really good luck south of Blythe in the fields around Palo Verde.

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
It's never too early!!

Foulshot and myself planned on hunting there last year on the CRIT land, but never had the chance.  We scouted a lot of area down there last year - lots of white wings.  With the amount of WW's that I heard of down in Imperial, I bet this will be a great year in the Blythe area too.

We should all plan a JHP dove opener.

Hook

Reaction score
FullSack, now that's a great idea. A JHP dove opener.
I would be interested.

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
Hook I am game for that. That would be great. Maybe we can all stay at the same place.

bloodsports

Reaction score
Ill be there ether for the opener or the second week..  The JHP idea sounds good to me.  Maybe we can make the JHP trip for the second week ( Sept. 6, 7 & 8 )  .  This way it will be less crowded.  Also maybe we can have a big breast tourny kind of like the one they have in Yuma.. Hope this get put together..

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
I'll be there, or south of Niland. I hope we can get a "JHP get together" set up.  
Anyone up for varmint hunting as well?

steve

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
I'm going.  A JHP dove hunt on the opener would be great, but getting hotel reservations is going to be tough.  I made my reservations the day I left last year.  I'm told they're full already.  If somebody wants to sweat their cajones off staying in a tent, feel free.  I was miserable when I did it. a few years ago.

Regards,
Paul

Marty

Reaction score
Hey Wingman,
We called on a pack of yotes last year right at sunset.  We were at the top of English.  
They wouldn't come in close enough to us.  I guess we were too close to one of the houses up there.  I had a couple 00-bucks waiting for them.

Maybe someone with an RV could fly a JHP flag?  

QALHNTR

Reaction score
<font face="Tahoma">I've got a trailer in Parker, so I usually hunt the CRIT lands.  If we can get up a JHP trip, I'm all for it.  It'll be a nice change of scenery.  I'll be bringing my 12 year-old daughter (hunter) and my 9 year-old son (bird dog).</font>

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
I always make reservations months in advance.   Our group (myself, Foulshot, and Droopy) have been staying at the Barbara Worth Resort for several years now.  They always have a cleaning table setup for us.  Last year we hunted up in Niland, so it was a little futher drive than we were used to, but it works.

I wouldn't recommend trying to make reservations at the last minute.

tinner

Reaction score
My family stays in a park in Parker then drives 1/2 hour into Blythe to hunt. Emerald Cove always has vacancies and is excellent for the family. give them a call at (760)663-4941.they are located on parker dam road in earp ca.

yotegetter

Reaction score
I'm definitely up for the opener in Blythe. I'll probably be up there for a 4 days Anybody know some other hotels there where I can stay at? The prices are going up!

(Edited by yotegetter at 5:14 pm on June 9, 2002)

stickman

Reaction score
There's a couple of campgrounds right on the river we could stay at. After the morning shoot we could spend the day keeping cool in the river. Last year it was over 100 at midnight.

Hook

Reaction score
The river sounds like a good place to me, so we can cool off after the morning shoot. Since it will be difficult to get into a motel.
I have never been to the Blythe are for the opener, so I am not sure about places to hunt, but I am willing to drag my trailer out there if someone knows the area.

Let's get a list of who would be interesed in going.  

stickman

Reaction score
I'll definately be there. I already requested the days off from work. If people are interested we should make reservations now. They place I stayed at last year charged $25.00 per vehicle. The campground was full. Half hunters and half skiers. The nice thing was the campground was right on the river.

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
Blythe sounds better than Niland.

Let's see... Dove hunting in the morning, Water sports, Bass fishing (strippers, stripers and L- mouth) in the afternoon, Varmint hunting in the evening and catfishing at night.

Hmmmm :yawn-yellow: sounds pretty boring. Count me in.

steve

songdog

Reaction score
ASeveral years ago we tried the back of the truck option near Wister.  It was 119 degrees at one point.  Pretty miserable.  All the hotels there are booked a year in advance.  That's when I decided on the trailer... very good choice.

Now we take the trailer right out to where we shoot.  That means that you're never too far from a spot to cool down, grab something to eat, take a nap, etc.  With the A/C it's 60 degrees inside and 110+ outside.

Unfortunately, I'm out of town this year on the first.  Even without that, I'd recommend trying the second weekend.  The hunting is generally as good and sometimes better and the crowds are 10% of what they are on opening day.  Hotels will be available and more area to shoot.  Might make for a better JHP hunt if we have lots of guys.  Plus, it means if anyone has a 25 year tradition of going with their family or something on opening day, they'd still be able to make it the next weekend.

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
All good thoughts, Songdog.  I remember trying to get some sleep in a tent down by the river.  It was about 100 degrees at 1:00 in the morning.  I was nekkid on top of my sleeping bag and I was sweating like crazy (not a pretty visual).  That was the longest night in the history of the world.  Then in the morning I emerge from the tent and the bugs were all over me.  Somebody drives down the dirt road and kicks up dust which sticks right to my sweaty body.  Absolutely miserable.  After staying in a hotel, I'll never go back to camping around there at that time of year.  The second week sounds great.

Regards,
Paul

bloodsports

Reaction score
I have been going down to Blythe for the last 18 years and the group of guys I go with have been going there for 40+ years.  I personaly like the second week better.  If we can get a large enough group going I will call the motels down there and see if I can get one to give us a dicounted rate..

Gregg    

Top Bottom