Who's going to nevada for chukars?

5standjake

Reaction score
I will be heading to nevada this year for chukars is anyone else going to the chukar capital.I am an avid chukar and quail hunter and i have found more chukars and quail in this state than any other state that i have been to.If you want to have a chukar hunt of a lifetime with quail mixed in let me know and i will give you the 411.I have been hunting chukars since i was 10 years old i am 29 years old now.If you want some tips on how to be successful at hunting chukars i would glady help anyone.Later 5standjake also known as jake the lucky greek.

songdog

Reaction score
I've got the chukar bug bad... real bad.  I'm planning on hunting locally in SoCal and in ID but I'm certainly open to NV.  Where in the state?

5standjake

Reaction score
Hi songdog,chukar is a great game bird i have hunted idaho also and done very well up and down the snake river.There are quite a few places you can hunt in nevada one being ely the other being garlock ely is the better of the two.Last year i limited out on chukar and quail with my gsp ty excellant nose for chukars.Let me know if you want to hook up.I also do a lot of chukar hunting in the mojave desert and the numbers are very low this year.I have scouted the so cal areas several times this year although i have found chukars in small numbers no broods this year.There is no comparison to nevada chukars songdog.Later 5standjake also known as jake the lucky greek.

songdog

Reaction score
I've hunted them along the Snake and up further north towards Riggins.  Lots of fun.

The local SoCal birds do seem to be a bit thin this year.  I've been hearing hronk talk about those NV chukar and was thinking about giving them a shot this year...

D Sea

Reaction score
There was some talk awhile back on one of the boards about a JHP chuckar hunt.  I know hronk hunts chucks in NV and the e. sierra.  I'm not sure what my schedule will look like this fall, but I'd be interested if I can fit a trip in.

rlwright

Reaction score
5standjake,

welcome to the jhp forum, theres a few of us on here that are nuts about chuckar hunting, i'm one of them. i've never hunted nevada for chukar yet, maybe this will be the year to try it, they're thin locally. regardless,i plan on going to the east mojave for the opener, maybe i'll at least get that bobcat or fox i keep seeing up there.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I stopped and checked a couple of my spots near Randsberg on the way up to Bishop last weekend. It doesn't look good for a hunt his fall in SoCal. No youngins and small groups of birds. I wonder if Ord is the same way?

Nevada sounds like a plan.

B

BDOG

I have had the chucker bug for a long time. Am heading to vegas in the A.M. W hat is a non res license go for or a three day permit. Would love to go. BDOG

docramo

Reaction score
Got the chukar bug really bad!!!
Scouting Socal so far this year is bleak. Small covey's and yet to see any young ones.
5standake- I think the other area in Nv. you referred to is likely Gerlach ,north of Reno. I hunted late season there 2 years ago and had limited sucess. Great country and nice people but not too many birds...all were in the snow @5800 ft. Would love to go back there.
Ps. got the bug so bad  I now have a personal plate of CHUKHNT on my Tacoma!

DKScott

Banned
Reaction score
5stand,

Chuckars are my favorite. In fact, I'm training a GSP pup I got earlier this year and chukar hunting is way up on my list of what I have in mind for him. So far, he thinks chuckars live in pens and spend their days alone in grassy fields.  I feel like I'm letting him down if I don't get him on some real ones.

I would love some info about hunting them in Nevada. I've heard its the place to go. Never had much luck locally, though I've rousted a few in NE California, around Susanville and Alturas, but I suspect its not the same.

Scott

docramo

Reaction score
When we were in Gerlach a couple of years ago one of the locals had a cousin who lived in Susanville and he said the chukar hunting was just as good there. Here we drive out of state and the locals there prefer to hunt in Ca.??? Anyone have any info on the Susanville area? Like any public land ,where to stay ,how the bird population is this season, etc.??Thanks...sure would appreciate any info before a long drive.

DKScott

Banned
Reaction score
I guess the grass is always greener..... Whoever said hunting trips are efficient or even make sense? (figure out the price per pound of your favorite game meat).  I think it's mostly just making the trip and being somewhere - and killing a few critters while we're there.  Or am I not being PC?

My thoughts on Modoc and Lassen County.  It is a long but easy drive from OC - about 12-13 hours whichever route you take (I-5 or 395). Its wide open country with grassy to rocky low hills.  Public access is great; lots of BLM, NF, NM, etc. Most of it is accessible to a decent 4WD. Get good maps. Great antelope habitat - I took a nice one in Likely Tables three years ago.  Deer are so-so, The ones I saw were small and mostly in the agriculture. It's also an easier draw for sage grouse (I got skunked last year)

To me, the chukar seemed to be at a fairly low density, but maybe I wasn't doing it right.  The grouse are there, it's just that they had moved just before the season opened.  I even had a warden tell me where to hunt by showing me his map with the radio-collar telemetry data plotted!

Here's what I think might be a great trip: Go when chuckar, quail and waterfowl are all open, but before it gets too cold. I think they get the earlier quail opener up there. You can roam around looking for chukar, you'll bust a few coveys of quail along the way and you can jump shoot ducks 7-days a week at the various stock tanks and small reservoirs that dot the region - they're all over the place.  There are a number of campgrounds and motels in the area.  Not a bad way to spend a few days.  Maybe somebody has tried it and can say if its worth it.

If you want to get serious about waterfowl, I've never seen so many honkers in my life. You won't see them in the stock tanks, but Goose Lake is well named. I spoke with a goose guide up there and he said he gets $150/day and rotates between 6 or 7 ranches he has leases on, so as not to pressure the waterfowl.

Scott

Top Bottom