Whos lost a bird to a hawk or had your dog eat one?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Does it count against your limit?

I cant recall losing a bird to a raptor. I've seen a dog or two much a quail or dove down.

Stevehazard

None that I'm aware of. But I have had a the falcons/cooper hawks shadow me and use my pressure on the quail to create an opening for them to take advantage of. I've also used them to my advantage to finding a covey. Watch where cooper's hawks go. If you see them bouncing around on top of cover, bushes, etc. they've probably located some birds for you.

Limited Out

I have had a hawk grab my birds a few times. This happen at the same location a couple of times. The downed birds were across a canal and before we could drive around to pick them up a hawk got them.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Ive had crows pick up my dead ground squirrels and pocket gophers.

One trick I've used on running quail is a hawk screamer call. If the quail are running from you it makes some of them do the statue. I cant remember who taught me that trick.

Smithb9841

I’ve had this happen 2 times in the same area quail hunting. The first time was the most impressive I shot the quail it hit the ground bounced and the falcon snatched it on the bounce before it hit the ground again. Me and my dad looked at each other and both had to make sure the other person seen it. The other time shot a quail and didn’t have a dog with us, and the falcon came and stole it before we could get to the opposite side of the berry vines we were hunting

Plain ol' Steve

I say if the hawk gets it it doesn't count against your limit because you never possessed it. Your dog on the other hand is an extension of you and you should have control over him. So any birds Fido eats counts against the limit.

I've had vultures take dove that I set aside and walked away from. Those count against my limit because I had possession before the birds got them.

dblsmk

Once, I had a smallish raptor, (falcon?), munch on a dove I'd shot and took a few minutes to pick up.
The best one was when I was hunting with my daughter and I was the bird dog. She dropped a dove and I went around the trees in the wash to get it and had to call her over to see this. A snake had poked its head thru a forked branch to snatch the bird, when it backed out it would end up with a mouth full of feathers. It was fun to watch with a mouth full of feathers and nothing to help get them out. WE watched, laughed, then shooed the snake from the bird and went our way.

Common Sense

I got some butterfly larve every year and my second graders would watch them develop and turn into butterflies. One year as I set them free out on the playground while my class watched, a bird swooped down and grabbed one of them in mid-air. Half my little 8 year old girls started crying, but most of the boys thought it was cool.

pilgrimbizket

Yes it should count towards your limit. A warden would never know but it's more of an ethics thing a cripple counts towards your limit as well, unless your just hunting for tailgate photos.

Limited Out

Especially when hunting or fishing with youngsters. Good roll models are in short supply these days. Do the right thing even when no one is checking, the perfect message for our kids.

Top Bottom