Whose Deer Is It ?

wedgy

Reaction score
NOT MY STORY, from Archery Talk

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showt...dium=email&utm_campaign=ed92&utm_content=iss2

Who's Deer?

I would like to get your opinion on a situation that occurred last week during Iowa's first shotgun season.

Myself and a good buddy of mine have been hunting down in Southern Iowa for the last 10 years. We have a mutual friend that owns quite a bit of land down there and he only hunts during the gun season when we are in town. This year, both myself and my buddy brought our 14 year old boys along.

Long story short, It was me and my boys turn to participate in the deer drive we were doing on this 40 acre CRP field with a small wooded draw cutting the field in half. The land owner was also on the drive with us and he mentioned that he's been seeing a big 12 point bedding in this draw.

My buddy and his son were blocking on the far end of the field. We started the drive and once I approached the wooded draw, I saw a big buck pop out the opposite side and head over the hill before I could get a shot. I heard my buddies son take a shot at the deer and then shortly after, the deer had turned around and came back over the hill and was trying to sneak out the side.

This presented me with a shot and I drop the buck on the first shot. He then tried to get up and I put another slug in him to finish him off. This deer is a giant. A heavy main frame 10 with matching split brows and matching kickers coming off of his G2s. Very symmetrical dark antlers.

As I walk up to the deer, I see where both of my shots hit right behind the shoulder. Then my buddies son comes running over the hill all excited and asking if "I saw that big buck". He wasn't able to see it laying at my feet in the tall CRP grass until he got right up to me.

Once he sees it, he get very excited and goes "Alright, that's what I call a tag team buck". I told him I heard him shoot and ask if he thought he hit it. He said it was about a 100 yard running shot but it turned around after he shot so he thinks he might have. We then examine the deer and see there is a hole in the buck's back leg. The slug went through the meat, missing any bone and ended up ripping the deer's testicles off.

We knew that was his shot because he was shooting a 20 gauge and I was shooting a 12 gauge. The holes were definitely a different size. Also, my shot was only about 40 yards and I could see where I hit the deer both times.

He is very excited and keeping saying "tag team buck". By now, everyone else in our party comes over and is admiring the giant deer that I was guessing to be around 180". The land owner says "Well who got it?" and my buddies son replied that it was a tag team buck and we both shot it. I wasn't going to raise a stink about the deer because he was so excited and then proceeded to gut the deer. As he is gutting it, I place my tag on the antler to make it legal.

We all snap a few pictures and then go get the truck to load the deer up. As I walk back to my buddies truck with just him and I, I mention where his son hit the deer and then also where I hit the deer hoping he will realize that without my shots, the deer would still be running and not die. He doesn't say anything.

We load the deer up into his truck and then he drops myself, my son and the land owner back off at my truck. We all head to the land owners house but my buddy doesn't show up. I call him to see where he is and he says that they are heading to the locker to drop the deer off. This makes me mad because I am the one who shot the deer and it was a world class whitetail. I tell him that I did not want him to do this and that I was the one who got the deer. He says no and that it was his sons deer and that I had nothing to do with killing this buck. He claims it would have died from his sons shot and that I just finished it off. He then said that they cut my tag off and put his sons tag on it.

This obviously causes an argument and then they decided to head back to northern Iowa where we both live. I try to explain to him that it was my deer but I would be willing to get a replica mount made for his son since he thinks it was a "tag team" effort.

He now will not return my calls and I feel like our friendship is dwindling over this giant deer. I later see his son post a picture of himself and my deer on facebook. The caption says they scored it and that it grossed 191".

Who is the rightful owner of this deer? Is it a tag team effort? Was I right in offering to do a replica if they returned it to me? What are my options? I don't want to ruin a lifelong friendship over a deer but this is a deer of a lifetime and I feel like I am the rightful owner.

Your opinions and advise is much appreciated. Thanks for reading.​

Last edited:

FTTPOW

Reaction score
Who put the killing shot in the deer? You did. Lack of communication before the hunt makes this an issue now. If the other parties don't have any ethics, this is what you have. You should have never let the deer out of your control once you put your tag on it. A "Tag team"? It looks like you got cut from the team.

JohnCo

Reaction score
lol lol lol some people are such huge scumbags

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
Whose deer is it needs to be understood before you hunt with others.
I don't know how others on here handle the situation but I can tell you how we do it. The first hit that would have proven lethal to the deer is the shot that counts. A hit in a nonlethal area is really just a miss. Finishing off someone else's deer that was going to die does not entitle you to the deer. Shooting a deer that had what was basically a flesh wound is different, the deer is yours. I had one hunter tell us that if he shoots a deer that is still moving it is his deer no matter how bad it was wounded.
In this story if the trophy just had a flesh wound then the second shooter should get the deer.

land4cat

Reaction score
Not much of a friend now his he.
I had a similar hunt turn bad. I have up an cow elk that I killed when several hunters came up to me and said that they drew first blood.
I was caught off guard. They had shot it and there was a nick in the lower front leg. Being by myself , I was out numbered and out gunned.
Mark

Stevehazard

Reaction score
The fact that they let him tag it then cut it off later and tagged with their own speaks volumes about their character.

TIGwelder

Reaction score
This Is a very interesting topic, and for me comes down to a simple choice: are you a true sportsman or only when it’s convenient to call yourself one. During my Colorado 3rd season buck hunt last month I had a very similar situation arise. Opening day my partner I are sitting overlooking a bowl when we hear two gun shots back to back which we thought came from the bottom of the drainage. 20 minutes later I see a big buck working his way up from the bottom, I tell my buddy big buck and we put glass on him. Instantly I see his guts hanging in the sage brush and my buddy says we can’t shoot that buck he’s been hit already. We watch that buck for a few more minutes making his way to the top of the bowl where he is getting ready to go up and over into the thick pinyon, and which I still believe he’d of been gone for good. My partner says “we gotta kill that buck, but just know there gonna call first blood”. At this point we just knew he was a big buck and we had two other buddy’s on the same mountain which could have possibly made the initial shots. Well needless to say I t-bone that buck at 250 yards. Now we watch the two gentlemen that made the initial shots come walking up from the bottom, which they were headed in the totally wrong direction that the deer headed. While they head towards the gunshots I walked down to put hands on this buck, and when I get close I couldn’t believe my eyes. Keep in mind we had no idea how good this buck was until I got close. This is a 27” Main frame 8x11 unicorn with a 4” sticker on one side and a 6” sticker on the other. 37” MONSTER!!!! Never seen a 200” buck on the hoof in mylife and now I’ve put hands on a guesstimated 215+” toad. It was an extremely awkward moment when we first came into contact with one another. We all knew this buck was a animal of ten lifetimes. They instantly called first blood upon arrival and we both knew that deer was mortally wounded with whoever put the first shot on that animal. I told them I agree but that animal was gonna go die two miles away. Honestly I knew what situation I was getting myself into prior to pulling the trigger and it’s first blood where I’m from. Even though it was honestly one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do was to walk away, I knew deep down it was the right thing to do. It all comes back to my original statement and you have to be the example. I’m 30 years old with a 3 year old son that I want to grow up and be the great man I know he can be, so I’m a firm believer in being the example and you can not choose when you wanna do the right thing, you have to do it every time your put in a situation. You can’t be a sportsmans 50% of the time it has to be 100% of the time. Now don’t get me wrong I’d be a liar if I said I didn’t selfishly want that buck but I’d hope if I was in that position making the first shot somebody would understand where I’m coming from as well. My partner put it best when he asked if it was a fork and horn would it have been a hard decision? Most would answer no, therefore it doesn’t matter how big the antlers it’s the same choice every time. Given the opportunity I’d make that same decision every time. I did end up killing a really nice 24” 3 point that I’m super excited about! He’s not 37” 8x11 unicorn but a good one nonetheless. Sorry for the long winded post but heres a pic for the forum to enjoy.......
8667835D-21D9-4205-9FB5-7869A6F50D3A.jpg
CA5DEB69-27A9-4B93-AF1F-709743C1C050.jpg

TheGDog

Reaction score
Whose deer was it? Well... it sure sounded like it had succumb to death from YOUR shots... you know... as it lay there at YOUR feet, No?

Last edited:

WrstQuailHntr

Reaction score
This Is a very interesting topic, and for me comes down to a simple choice: are you a true sportsman or only when it’s convenient to call yourself one. During my Colorado 3rd season buck hunt last month I had a very similar situation arise. Opening day my partner I are sitting overlooking a bowl when we hear two gun shots back to back which we thought came from the bottom of the drainage. 20 minutes later I see a big buck working his way up from the bottom, I tell my buddy big buck and we put glass on him. Instantly I see his guts hanging in the sage brush and my buddy says we can’t shoot that buck he’s been hit already. We watch that buck for a few more minutes making his way to the top of the bowl where he is getting ready to go up and over into the thick pinyon, and which I still believe he’d of been gone for good. My partner says “we gotta kill that buck, but just know there gonna call first blood”. At this point we just knew he was a big buck and we had two other buddy’s on the same mountain which could have possibly made the initial shots. Well needless to say I t-bone that buck at 250 yards. Now we watch the two gentlemen that made the initial shots come walking up from the bottom, which they were headed in the totally wrong direction that the deer headed. While they head towards the gunshots I walked down to put hands on this buck, and when I get close I couldn’t believe my eyes. Keep in mind we had no idea how good this buck was until I got close. This is a 27” Main frame 8x11 unicorn with a 4” sticker on one side and a 6” sticker on the other. 37” MONSTER!!!! Never seen a 200” buck on the hoof in mylife and now I’ve put hands on a guesstimated 215+” toad. It was an extremely awkward moment when we first came into contact with one another. We all knew this buck was a animal of ten lifetimes. They instantly called first blood upon arrival and we both knew that deer was mortally wounded with whoever put the first shot on that animal. I told them I agree but that animal was gonna go die two miles away. Honestly I knew what situation I was getting myself into prior to pulling the trigger and it’s first blood where I’m from. Even though it was honestly one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do was to walk away, I knew deep down it was the right thing to do. It all comes back to my original statement and you have to be the example. I’m 30 years old with a 3 year old son that I want to grow up and be the great man I know he can be, so I’m a firm believer in being the example and you can not choose when you wanna do the right thing, you have to do it every time your put in a situation. You can’t be a sportsmans 50% of the time it has to be 100% of the time. Now don’t get me wrong I’d be a liar if I said I didn’t selfishly want that buck but I’d hope if I was in that position making the first shot somebody would understand where I’m coming from as well. My partner put it best when he asked if it was a fork and horn would it have been a hard decision? Most would answer no, therefore it doesn’t matter how big the antlers it’s the same choice every time. Given the opportunity I’d make that same decision every time. I did end up killing a really nice 24” 3 point that I’m super excited about! He’s not 37” 8x11 unicorn but a good one nonetheless. Sorry for the long winded post but heres a pic for the forum to enjoy.......
View attachment 90397
View attachment 90398
I agree with this 100%

"Random person from Archery Talk", if the buck in your story was a dinker 3x3 would you have made it an issue? The kid, let me repeat 14 year old kid, shot the deer first. Your opinion is that it would not have died from his shot, but you kinda removed the opportunity to find out by shooting it two more times.

Because of the size of the deer, you made a deal out of it. Your friend might not have handled it in the best way, but my opinion is that you kinda started it.

How interesting it would be to hear your buddies take on the story.

Last edited:

Smithb9841

Reaction score
I agree with this 100%

"Random person from Archery Talk", if the buck in your story was a dinker 3x3 would you have made it an issue? The kid, let me repeat 14 year old kid, shot the deer first. Your opinion is that it would not have died from his shot, but you kinda removed the opportunity to find out by shooting it two more times.

Because of the size of the deer, you made a deal out of it. Your friend might not have handled it in the best way, but my opinion is that you kinda started it.

How interesting it would be to hear your buddies take on the story.
Gotta agree the only reason it became a big deal was Bcuz of the size of the deer

also his first shot might not have been fatal but probably would have slowed the deer down enough for
him to catch up and get a follow up shot and finish the deer anyway.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Ten years of hunting together went down the drain I would say, I am surprised that since it was only the four of them working together on the drive that it would only make sense who ever harvested would share the meat if it was a tag team effort.
how could anyone hunt with someone for ten years and not see that coming, I am sure it came down to bragging rights about the kid scoring a trophy buck for that dad, as far as pulling off a tag of a harvested buck and swapping it out with another tag it doesn’t sound legal but I am not sure on those logistics of the law. Great story!........lol.....tra

jrod

Reaction score
Shoulda never let it out of your control.
maybe let the land owner decided who should claim the buck being as though you all were on his property.

Rock paper scissors

jackman

Reaction score
Too little too late now to do anything about it. Pick yourself up and move on

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Truly sucks, sounds this is more a trophy issue than a meat issue.
to cut your Tag off and put his sons tag on was not only BS but Illegal I believe.
Basically your are screwed unless you want to pursue it in court,
IMO cut your looses and a couple of X friends and move on

P304X4

Reaction score
Looks like its "his deer" and who knows what kind of tale he's telling about the hunt. Shows what kind of "friend" your hunting buddy really is.

Top Bottom