• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Why does DFG set traps?

cjack

Found a California DFG trap in the Angeles National Forest. Does anyone know why or what they would be trapping?

Trap 1.jpgTrap 2.jpg

Redneck75

Looks like the deer traps F&G used in Oregon when they were doing studies/collaring blacktails and whitetails. Not exactly the same trap configuration but basically the same and appears to be about the same size. That would be my guess anyway.

dtj6ppc

It's only about 18" high by 12" wide by 30" deep. Pretty small even for a fawn.
Wonder if the trap is for coyote relocation?, although this is usually carried out by the local animal control agency and not the DFG................locals complaining about cat disapearances?..............Don

Bencoyote

The trap may have a Fish and Game tag on it, but I suspect It may be a private trap that someone got from an auction or sale. Also another agency may have borrowed the trap from CDFG because Fish and Game posts their trap locations with flyers to warn the publicdscn3745.jpg

cjack

The trap may have a Fish and Game tag on it, but I suspect It may be a private trap that someone got from an auction or sale. Also another agency may have borrowed the trap from CDFG because Fish and Game posts their trap locations with flyers to warn the publicView attachment 68529
I got a response in my upland game thread that said all traps are registered with DFG and that it was the trappers ID number. The trap is still there untouched and I swept the sandy area leading to it and there are no new foot prints except quail prints.

#1Predator

This looks like a bobcat or gray fox box trap. The DFG doesn't set small animal traps. Does the tag on the trap say something like, "DFG License #XXXXX"? If it does, this is a private party licensed trapper. You can find out who the trapper is if you call the Sacto DFG office and give them the license number. All traps must be marked with the trapper's license number. All traps must be checked at least once every 24 hours. In addition, DFG law says that it is illegal to disturb legally set traps. I believe ANF requires all "commercial" users of the forest to have a forest service permit as well.

Bobcat trapping season ends Jan. 31, 2012. Gray fox season ends the last day in February (this, a leap year, it will end on Feb.29).

Last edited:

cjack

Thanks #1predator, I've come to this conclusion and the trap appears to have been undisturbed for over 2 weeks now so I would be surprised if I found out the trapper has actually checked on this trap every 24hrs. I have no interest in finding out who it is or reporting him to DFG but find the whole process interesting and since it is in an area I frequent just about every day I will just keep an eye on it and see what happens. This is the first encounter I have ever had with trapping and I am just curious to learn more. Again thanks for your reply!

There are some trappers who use sat-game cams to monitor their traps. Next time take a look up (higher than you'd normally expect a cam) to see if it is being monitored electronically. Give the guy a wave if ya do. :)

cjack

Searched high and low and there are no cameras to be found. I thought about putting a camera on it to see if the guy comes around just for fun but I'd hate to loose my camera. Thanks Bruce!

alot of guys make there sets so they can be checked from long distances with bino or spotting scopes. it keeps them from having to walk up on the trap every day and possibly spreading their scent around. however i trap and i know everybody has different tactics, but that trap looks like it might have been one that was forgotten or lost.

cjack

alot of guys make there sets so they can be checked from long distances with bino or spotting scopes. it keeps them from having to walk up on the trap every day and possibly spreading their scent around. however i trap and i know everybody has different tactics, but that trap looks like it might have been one that was forgotten or lost.
I thought the same thing but I checked it out and the is absolutly no way for this trap to be seen from any vantage point in the area. To much brush is surrounding it in all directions. If it stays there for a few more weeks undisturbed I may take down the # and see if I can identify and notify the owner of it's whereabouts, I would hate to see the guy loose his trap.

That would be a cool thing to do, i wish i had guys like you around my neck of the woods. people out here come across my traps and decide they like them more than i do and they take them. and i loose about 100 bucks.

cjack

That would be a cool thing to do, i wish i had guys like you around my neck of the woods. people out here come across my traps and decide they like them more than i do and they take them. and i loose about 100 bucks.
I learned at an early age that it's far more rewarding to earn the things you want and have. By the way I was chukar hunting up in your neck of the woods yesterday and those hills kicked my butt!!!!

Top Bottom