Why Dont We?

Eagle Eye

Reaction score
I was looking through a electronic kit catalog and saw their ad saying that they were always looking for kit ideas. Thats when the ole :litebulb went off.
Why cant we get one of the electronic genius's on here to design us exactly what were looking for and submit it to one of these kit companys.
Sensor, timer, everything in one package.
Everybody could add their input and we could get just what we want. Then we could all e-mail the kit company showing our support.
What do you think?

Eagle Eye

Reaction score
Yea I"ve enjoy building these cams, but I been doing it for about two years now. Everybody and there brother wants one. Ive built for family ,friends people I dont even know, everyone that sees one and finds how cheaply they can be built says build me one.
You can even trade them for access to some fine hunting grounds.
I just dont have the time to work on them that I once had.
If we had a kit, when someone asked me to build one I could tell them to just order the kit.
How many other people have found theirselves in this situation.
I dont intend to sound mean, because I will help anybody that will help themselves, but when you tell someone yhey can make one for about $100  they say make me one. When you turn them down some people get plum mad.

mike

Reaction score
It does sound like a good idea. But, on the other hand that's what makes a homemade camera great. Because half of the stuff you have laying around the house. And you only have to buy what you don't have.

LW

Reaction score
I would go for it if it takes off, I would like to build my own camera but don't have the time or inclination to modify boards and the like. If I could get hold of a kit and snap it together like a bare bones computer system I could afford more than one trail cam. I just got into this when I bought a Trail Timer  PH3500 for $179, apparently a good price but not something I plan to do again any time soon.

Brotherwolf

Reaction score
Eagle, I feel your pain, I've had so many requests from people, I told them that I wanted to enjoy mine first and that when I have time I'll make more. It's hard to say no but if you make one for one person you have to make them for everyone!! These are very capable people!!! I show them the instructions, I point them to this site But they get a little upset with that. Personally I'd rather build my own than to have someone hand it to me.

Eagle Eye

Reaction score
All I would want is a sensor / timer kit. A small unit that would last a while on a 9v batterey. You would still have to soldier it together. Then mount it in your housing with your camera of choice.
Building these timer circuits is whats slowing me down.
If your spending $25 on a sensor and probably about the same on a timer we could probably shave off a few bucks by putting a kit together ourselves.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi EE,
That's a good idea, but I'm not sure there's enough market for it to be worth thier time to develope the boards.  Basically only us for customers - maybe a few researchers... and even most of us would rather just build our stuff from scratch.

Archilochus

Pistoleer

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and found the whole topic so interesting that I have been reading tall the pages.

Although I consider myself rather handy I don't feel confident in my electronic skills to attempt to build a Homebrew from scratch. Perhaps a kit would be less intimidating to someone like me.

I have been bowhunting for nearly 40 years. Although the actual kill doesn't excite me like it did years ago I still enjoy seeing deer. My wife and son bought me a Non Typical Deer Cam a couple of years ago and I have used it some. This forum has stoked the fires. I put my unit out last week and I can't wait to retrieve the film and get it developed.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Hi Pistoleer,

welcome to the forum!

You ought to try your hand at building a cam, the 35mm type 1st. You'd be surprised how well you'd do and it'd bring back some of the old thrill you used to have with bowhunting I bet. You'll find yourself thinking about the cam and it's setup about as much as the hunt.....

and altho there is no KIT as such, there are several boards that are being made that make most of the electronic stuff a breeze. The cost of these boards start at about $15 for those which require some added components, like PIR's through those which are complete or nearly so.

The enclosure's will be about the hardest thing to do with these modules and you already said you're handy so ......

I see by this post you called up that you've already done some research on this forum so you know how much help you'll get from the guys and gals on here.

but everybody will warn you, building these things and playing with them in the woods is very "addictive". I already feel sorry for your wife because instead of reading the newspaper at the supper table you'll be pouring over one of your designs, etc

Tinhorn

pocomoke

Reaction score
I already found a kit like that eagleeye.It is called the pixcontroller rss board and it is oohhhh soooo sweeettt..I just had to put in a plug for Bill

bat

Reaction score
Pistoleer, welcome to the club buddy. I agree with Tinhorn, they are really really easy to build (after the first one hehe). You will find all the support and help you need in here. I started the first of last year and can't stop this madness lol. I wanted one and had "no" skills at soldering till I started this cam stuff. Now I have built at least 15 units.
2 digitals (with parts for about 3 more) and a lot of 35mm PF units.... that's why I say at least, I have lost count.

You can do it and you will thanks yourself for doing it. Just don't get discouraged if you run into a problem, toss a question or two in here and they will help you with it.

Boards are being built by several members that are very good ones. You can also take a look at the Glolab board at www.Glolab.com, reports are that it is a good one also. I have not used this one but have worked on one for one of the members. Good luck, bat

Top Bottom