Why hunt varmints?

Kickaha

Reaction score
I don't think there's any way I can ask this without some thinking I'm attacking them. So let me say right off, I'm not. I'm just curious.

With regards to hunting Coyotes, I assume people hunt them for their pelts? I know a guy who used to do this and then sell them.

With regards to crows, squirrels, and other such critters, why are these hunted? Other than figuratively, do people eat crow? What is done with the carcase? I suppose ranches might want certain varmints that are getting out of control to be hunted. But what's the reason for the average non-ranch owner to go out and hunt these same critters?

Again, I'm just curious. The curse of being a newbie.

Kernhuntr

Reaction score
Kickaha, I don't hunt crows but I hunt squirrels when and where I can. They play hob on quail eggs, and can and do carry plauge. There have been about 5 or 6cases here in Kern County that I can remember in the 11 years I've lived here. I also was raised on a cow calf operation in Ventura, and the holes they dug were hell on my horses and cows. Although it's unlikely to break a cows leg it will a horses. Givin' all that, there just plain fun to shoot, and great practice for both young and old.Some of my greatest memories with my dad were laying on a blanket with an ice chest full of soda's and poping the little critters with a .22. Now I take my 15 year old daughter with me and share the same experiance. Here shooting skills have no doubt benifited from this, and we have a blast without spending a ton of $$$.

Kernhuntr

Kickaha

Reaction score
Kernhuntr,

Thanks for the reply.  I knew there were reasons. Just didn't know what they were.

ranchwife

Reaction score
In my neck of the woods, coyote are killed as a way of protecting the deer and antelope herds, and the cattle herds. Squirrels are killed because they cause severe damage to crops, fields, and harvest equipment.

davered1

Reaction score
Squirrels can also be sold to the fur auction. They pay for my gas for trapping every year

Kickaha

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I know that squirrels cause severe damage to my backyard garden crops every year. If anyone would like to book a hunt....

Terrierman

Reaction score
because it's an enjoyable experience watching my dog/s do what they do best, find-hunt-kill.

To see the joy they get when allowed to do what they have been breed for is all the reason I would ever need.

and besides, who wants to crawl under a barn to pull out some germ infested varmit when there is a willing contestant, smiling from ear to ear at my feet?

I think it's just fun, and if I can help someone rid a problem even better!

8ball

Reaction score
I enjoy seeing the red mist when my 55 grain V-Max connects.

VarmintCoop

Reaction score
"With regards to crows, squirrels, and other such critters, why are these hunted?"

Why I hunt them:

Coyotes have a bad habit of eating calves and fawns. Since it became illegal to trap in california, there has become an overpopulation of predators.

Ground Squirrels and sage rats dig holes in the ground.

These holes tend to cause broken legs in cattle, and they also cause significant damage to irrigation levees.

Also theres the added bonus of watching the plague infested little suckers explode into red mist after being struck by a .22 caliber bullet travelling over 4000 feet per second.

I dont know about other places around the country, but in the high country of California, nothing goes to waste. I have provided many squirrel dinners for our national mascot the Bald Eagle.

VarmintCoop

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
I will pick up my pics of a couple of diseased coyotes we shot last weekend that are spreading this disease to god only knows what other animals. I have no problem eradicating this varmint and if you see these pics, you will / should aggree.

sp

Hook

Reaction score
8ball , Welcome to Jesses forum. Seeing that red mist is enough reason, I think. Oh and of course what everyone else said too.

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
8Ball, I like your writing style. Short and to the point. Welcome to Jesse's.

redfox18

Reaction score
Them are some nasty looking yotes wingman,you did them a favor.

lintongb

Reaction score
Gads! That thing looked nasty. You did us all a favor by taking that one out of the gene pool.

Terrierman

Reaction score
yea, I second that. Nice job Wingman! I wouldn't have enjoyed allowed my dogs to take that bag of plague!

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
Terrierman, That was a job for a .243 for sure. What kind of terriers do you use for coyotes? I saw a vidio that showed a big dog w/ a ridge back chasing varmints. He looked mean as h***!!!

I don't know squat about varmint dogs but it sounds interesting.

Stave

SoCalTed

Reaction score
just out of curiousity - the yote plinkers didn't answer the question. What do you do with the carcases? I ask because I used to get to shoot them on the high desert at a dad's friend's place as a kid, but the old guy always kept and skinned them. What would I do with them now? Also, which areas in So Cal (below bakersfield) are still open to yote shooting? Are they still covered under the regular license, or do we need special tags for these hunts?

As far as GS's go, I'm not sure I'd eat the ones from SoCal - they invariably have growths and cancers. Yucky little varmints (except through the scope sights)

hunter mike

Reaction score
SoCalTed,

There are no special tags required, just the basic license. They are open year round for hunting and there is no limit.

songdog

Reaction score
I skin them when the hides are thick. It doesn't amount to much but it might pay for a new rifle each year.

I mainly hunt them because I love to call predators. Coyotes, foxes, bobcats... I've met very few good predator callers that we not also also good big game hunters. You can learn a lot of things from a coyote that you can't from a mule deer.

Top Bottom