Why so many little ones?

Stevehazard

Yesterday on a long trek to explore a place from a different approach I saw 9 bears. Now granted one of them was the same bear I saw twice once going up and again coming back down and two others on the drive out also could of been repeats but I don't believe so. So that was 6-8 different bears in what was only a 4-6 mile stretch along the canyon. Only one of them was large. That one went crashing though the cottonwoods as soon as I noticed it. Is it normal for so many younger bears to be in a condensed area like that? All of them were off either alone or with bro/sis, how careful should I be that mama is still relatively close by? I did talk to one person on the way out and he thought some may of been pushed into the area from a recent fire. He also said they would all be gone once the season opened up... which looks to be tomorrow.

One of the little ones was pretty curious and I got some vids of a few that'll I'll put up after editing that. Is this atypical for so many smaller ones to be in a relatively condensed area. What do all these small ones say about the presence of larger ones in the area? Less likely, More likely, no effect? I've never been out for bear before but being up in this area for a good portion of the fall I'm thinking about it.

OPAH

Mama only keeps the youngers around a couple of years and then its the Paw or the claw depending how much the cub resists.
They will wander around till they find a place that a big male isn't going to kill and eat them, so yes if a couple of years ago it was good Birthing and feeding conditions there could be a lot of tyounger looking for love in all the wrong places

Stevehazard

A number of them were small enough that I was checking behind me to make sure I had not landed myself between them and the mama. But I never saw her, with the exception of the big one may of been a mama bear, that one tore away though the cottonwoods I couldn't tell what it was other then it being a big bear.

dthome

Steve,
With that many sightings, you should really get a bear tag. I don’t know if there’s any significance to seeing so many little ones. Except it likely means food resources are good in your location. When food is plentiful, bears tolerate each other’s presence much more than when food is scarce. Go get one!

Stevehazard

Well I finally bothered to put together the footage from that day. If you just want to see the bears they are in the beginning and then again starting around 15:10 till the end basically. I wish I had gotten video of the big one... but that one was older, wiser, and knew to GTHO when a person comes around the corner at 10 yards.

There's an apple tree in the front yard here. I could tell they've come for a snack a couple times but haven't seen them... darn apple thieves.

[video=youtube_share;e7W03LbQ_X0]https://youtu.be/e7W03LbQ_X0[/video]

OPAH

You have seen the movies about those old cabins in the Back woods ? Poking around in someones private place ?
Will at least there were no Jars of eye balls, ears or noses laying around, any fresh turned over dirt around that shack?
May be they are in there summer home, you know the Green shack down the way. Makes me nerves poking around those places,
who know what you may run across?
pissed 3.jpgpissed little girl.jpg

And lets not forget Mommie and Daddy

Last edited:

Stevehazard

Oh I did talk to a person about the cabin by the way. I was told the it was part of a cattle allotment that was cut back so nobody bothers to get it currently.

I'm not sure if the hunting bears question is serious either.

dthome

Jackman,
This is a hunting site. It’s odd for you to ask why someone would want to hunt something because they “look nice lumbering around”. In my opinion, virtually all animals “look nice” in nature. So I interpret your question more as “why hunt, cuz don’t animals look nice?” Regardless, below are 3 reasons to hunt bear. There are infinite reasons, though. All made from bear.

Attachments

OPAH

dthome is that Bearnudo ? what a great way to cook bear up, in fact I may try Deernudo. have some New Mex home made chilli in the freezer Hominy on the shelf, and the rest of the fixings, OOOPs I may have misspoken is it Bearzzoli ?
Bearittos and BearBQ are also a great way to cook it>

Any way looks great, Jackman seem boared and is just trying to get a rise out of someone

Last edited:

Stevehazard

Maybe he thought I was interested in taking the juvenile/little bears in my vid? I would not take those. I did see two other bears that were larger that I would if I were to go back and see them again. One was large enough that I would probably pass on it if it was too far back. And if there was ever an area I would not have an issue taking a bear it is definitely an area where I saw that many in a single day. They were not exactly a rare sighting there.

Most every animal I've hunted "looks pretty nice" so that's an odd way to characterize on what to hunt or not. If I was going to use that criteria as a disqualify I think the only thing I would ever hunt would be pigs.

dthome

Steve,
I understand and respect your decision to hold off on young bears. Cool with me. At the same time, I have no problem with hunters that take a yearling bear (as long as the population is healthy). It’s really no different than taking a young, forked-horn buck.

OPAH

Just take a little time to admire how pretty they are as they lumber into Range and then admire how tasty they are in so many different ways. Then we all are happy right Jackman ?

jackman

Im not bored as you might think. I also dont care if I get a "rise" out of someone. I got it that this is a Hunters website, I have hunted my entire life. I only asked a question about shooting a Bear. In my opinion only- I dont see the need to shoot a bear. Go ahead and chastise me. But if no-one responds, "You have no idea how little I care"

dthome

Im not bored as you might think. I also dont care if I get a "rise" out of someone. I got it that this is a Hunters website, I have hunted my entire life. I only asked a question about shooting a Bear. In my opinion only- I dont see the need to shoot a bear. Go ahead and chastise me. But if no-one responds, "You have no idea how little I care"
So strange. I don’t see a need for you to shoot a deer. Neither does PETA. But PETA uses your logic to oppose all hunting. You might rethink your philosophy. It’s warped.

Stevehazard

Steve,
I understand and respect your decision to hold off on young bears. Cool with me. At the same time, I have no problem with hunters that take a yearling bear (as long as the population is healthy). It’s really no different than taking a young, forked-horn buck.
I don't have issue with it either. The areas I've been to up there I've seen enough bears that I would try to be selective. I don't know if the vid shows it but the bear at the end was really tiny too. I thought one of that size would of been with it's mom still. Or maybe the couple of really large ones I've happened to see just make these look smaller by comparison.

dthome

I hear ya, Steve. It's hard to distinguish size on the video. Hunting is all about finding the animal that fits your target size. Enjoy your time in the woods.

Top Bottom