Why some sellers wont sell guns to California?

Marty

Reaction score
My guess would be 'reporting requirements.' I was under the impression that a dealer selling into CA must follow CA rules to complete the transfer and sale; which may include an application and fee to be listed on the state DOJ database as well as access to the state database.

easymoney

Reaction score
The land of fruits and nuts!
I have bought AR parts and ammo online, only some will not sell. If you buy a legal firearm or "lower" it must go through a DROS approved dealer. No big deal, just a fee and it's yours...

Fugaloo

Reaction score
When I was in utah I saw that Walmart had a Remington 700 for $550ish. I wanted to scoop one up but the girl told me that they can't sell to California because the great state of California negotiated a deal that precludes any Californian from buying out of state. The reason is: TAXES!!!!! YEAH

We tax the hell out of guns and the State wants that money to be kept here. My guess is that gun dealers on auction sites have to abide while private sellers do not.

mtnsammy

Reaction score
Many out of state dealers do not want the hassle of Cal Regs. THen again many do not care money is money. I am looking for a new place to live soon as I am tired or No-lead and no-this or no-that. Too much for me. Hopefully I can find a nice double wide in Arizona and claim the nicer AZ as my residence and just visit Big Bear. When property values come back I will gain way too much money to sell early.

Just look around there are several dealers that work well with California FFL's.

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
Ca has too many gun regs. Over half of the BATF States Reg book is devoted to CA -- over HALF. Most gun sellers (who are not CA residents) don't want the add'l responsibility of having to learn the CA regs after learning Fed regs and their state regs, so it's easiest to just say "no sales to CA" even when the gun wouldn't violate (as in this case). It may not violate, but they don't know that because they don't have the time/desire to read half of the states' reg book.

My best advice to you guys is to take it to the voting booth.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
When you sell out of state there are ALL KINDS of regs you need to be aware of. Ammo and gun gear can not be shipped to certain cities, counties. Knives CANNOT be shipped to certain cities, counties also. Most are the usual places like IL, NY.

sean english

Reaction score
I got my answer for the above question. But Why wouldnt a seller in California, not sell to residents of California? Now that is mind buggling.

sancho

Reaction score
private sales to a californian isnt a problem. what i have found is that the rest of the country has some percieved notion about this place..an FFL can send to an FFL here no problemo...they just believe the hype of Fox news or something. hell, most of the country wants us to fall into the ocean.

or maybe they are too lazy to check if the gun is on the "approved" list. haha..
i had a rifle sent to me from Maryland..FFL to FFL. Zero issues. cept UPS destroyed the gun stock. cost me $30 IIRC

sean english

Reaction score
Contacted seller. "All our guns must be shipped out of state" is what I got. Didn't understand it. Whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom