WI DNR inundated with sharpshooter volunteers

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
DNR inundated with sharpshooter volunteers

May 28, 2002

Associated Press

MADISON, Wis. -- The state Department of Natural Resources has had "tons and tons" of calls from hunters offering to join its nonexistent sharpshooter team, a regional wildlife biologist said.

The DNR isn't recruiting sharpshooters to kill the whitetail deer herd in southwestern Wisconsin, the agency said.

The agency has put together teams of marksmen to shoot the deer in the so-called hot zone, but they are government employees who are good shots and can follow instructions exactly, said Alan Crossley, a regional wildlife biologist.

The DNR marksman "is a government employee, someone I know to be proficient and safe and show can follow instructions explicitly," said Carl Bantha, the agency's point expert and main strategist in the battle against chronic wasting disease.

The DNR plans to eradicate the deer population -- about 15,000 deer -- in an area around Mount Horeb in hopes of eliminating the disease which causes the animal to waste away and died.

Crossley said there will be a need for nongovernment marksmen, but it would most likely be done by matching reliable hunters with inexperienced landowner.

"There are so many liability issues associated with this," he said. "The long-term plan is to figure out how to use volunteers."

StringShooter

Reaction score
Sounds to me like a bunch of trigger happy folkes but I could be over thinking this matter.

I love the thrill of the hunt, the planning and the waiting...not wanting to just shoot and kill a deer for the thrill.

Just my 2 cents.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom